'This Charming Charlie' creator offers Morrissey a record deal

Chickpea

pithy yet degenerate
Lauren LoPrete, the genius behind 'This Charming Charlie' (which we know Morrissey likes) runs a record label. She has posted a message to Morrissey inviting him to join the roster at Loglady Records:

Dear Morrissey,

Just like you, I too can be intensely persistent. I’m sorry to hear about the dishonorable treatment that Harvest has given your new album. I’m reaching out to you in the only way I know possible. Did you know I run a record label?
We believe that World peace is none of your business should get the respect it deserves, without executives controlling the channels. We value our musicians and act as platform for their voice and opinions to be heard. We won’t stop any of our artists from saying, sharing or doing what they believe in.
Lets talk.
Lauren LoPrete

Loglady Records
Oakland, California

Source: http://thischarmingcharlie.tumblr.com/post/96100004792/dear-morrissey-just-like-you-i-too-can-be

Weird!

I've never heard of this label but I will have to let my friend know as I saw they put out stuff by Cassie Ramone and he's a huge fan.

That's neat. Hopefully they can work something out and make this happen.

f***ing hell, I hope he responds, this could be great for him. I think Morrissey should be going on smaller independent labels where it IS about the art and music and not just about sales.

If Moz could just lower his standards by a fraction and get on a label like this I'd really admire him for it.

Come on Morrissey!

Moz is loved among the indie set. He would get the respect he deserves with an indie label.

Would be interesting to hear more details about the label but this could be a really good relationship. He should definitely give it a fair look.

I don't know if it's a "sign" but the lady who supplies our apartment ovens and stovetops, her company is called "Peanuts" (Charming Charlie) and her guy who installs and repairs the ovens is named "Archie." No joke. What isn't cool about comic book leads? Nothing isn't cool about comic book leads. :D

No chance this happens. Not a commentary on the label. It's just got zero chance of happening.

Would be interesting to hear more details about the label but this could be a really good relationship. He should definitely give it a fair look.

I'm sure the chances of Morrissey just happening to look at This Charming Charlie anytime soon are between slim and none, alas!

That said, if anyone knows how Lauren can reach Morrissey in a more direct way, I will be sure to pass along the information to her. :thumb:

Label exec pirates lyrics and Peanuts brand without permission. Does this mean her label only produces digital rights free products? I hope so. :rolleyes:

Label exec pirates lyrics and Peanuts brand without permission. Does this mean her label only produces digital rights free products? I hope so. :rolleyes:

I think it's arguably a case of parody/derivative works, but at the end of the day all involved parties approve of the use. No harm done. She certainly never expected anyone but her friends to see it—not that that changes copyright laws, but there was no attempt to defraud, profit, or otherwise damage either brand.

I think it's arguably a case of parody/derivative works, but at the end of the day all involved parties approve of the use. No harm done. She certainly never expected anyone but her friends to see it—not that that changes copyright laws, but there was no attempt to defraud, profit, or otherwise damage either brand.

She was lucky that Moz liked it and did not file a copyright infringement lawsuit. Never expected anyone but her friends to see it? Really? That is why she posted it online in a public blog? Yeah, she never expected it to make the front page of Morrissey-solo. OK. I like her mashups. And I agree with fair use. I just hope her label is a lot more generous with the doctrine than most of the other labels are.

She was lucky that Moz liked it and did not file a copyright infringement lawsuit. Never expected anyone but her friends to see it? Really? That is why she posted it online in a public blog? Yeah, she never expected it to make the front page of Morrissey-solo. OK. I like her mashups. And I agree with fair use. I just hope her label is a lot more generous with the doctrine than most of the other labels are.

Nope, she really didn't. I know Lauren, and she's a good person. She made something she thought her friends would laugh at. A week later, someone at NPR's music blog found it, then it spread to Slate. Sometimes these things happen. Most things go unseen. That's all. No hidden agenda here.

An apples to apples comparison with recorded music would also have to involve not-for-profit derivative works/parodies, but I believe the policy about issuing DCMAs would be determined by whoever owns the publishing rights to the songs and/or the artist, which is not necessarily the label releasing the music. You can always send Loglady an email to check if you're interested in using any of the music they've released in a similar fashion. I'm sure they can address your concerns better than I can!

Nope, she really didn't. I know Lauren, and she's a good person. She made something she thought her friends would laugh at. A week later, someone at NPR's music blog found it, then it spread to Slate. Sometimes these things happen. Most things go unseen. That's all. No hidden agenda here.

An apples to apples comparison with recorded music would also have to involve not-for-profit derivative works/parodies, but I believe the policy about issuing DCMAs would be determined by whoever owns the publishing rights to the songs and/or the artist, which is not necessarily the label releasing the music. You can always send Loglady an email to check if you're interested in using any of the music they've released in a similar fashion. I'm sure they can address your concerns better than I can!

I was just reading her blog and some of the articles regarding the Universal take-down threat. She seems to have been coming from a good place. I jumped the gun and shared an opinion without having all the facts. My apologies.

I am very happy that she was able to express her creativity and share it with a large audience. It deserves to be seen. She seems like a mufti-talented young woman. I wish her luck with her efforts to get Moz to join her label. :)

I was just reading her blog and some of the articles regarding the Universal take-down threat. She seems to have been coming from a good place. I jumped the gun and shared an opinion without having all the facts. My apologies.

No need to apologize! A big part of what I do for a living involves licensing the copyrighted work of artists, and I think of myself as being more sensitive than the average person to the rights of the creator. I don't think there's anything wrong with questioning this kind of stuff!

No need to apologize! A big part of what I do for a living involves licensing the copyrighted work of artists, and I think of myself as being more sensitive than the average person to the rights of the creator. I don't think there's anything wrong with questioning this kind of stuff!

Oh good. :)

Back
Top Bottom