This Charming Man Manchester Version??

matt

Don't Rake Up My Mistakes
Is this just another name for the single version of TCM? I'm trying to make a chronological playlist of the entire collection of Smiths B Sides and I need this one so any help is appreciated.

The Manchester version is the regular version, available as the 7" A-side, track 1 on the 12", and on the US and CD issues of The Smiths' eponymous album.

The London mix is distinctly different, and is the second of the two versions on the 12".

well then! ive only ever heard the regular version you mentioned, and those two new york versions. i want to find this london one now! thanks:thumb:

well then! ive only ever heard the regular version you mentioned, and those two new york versions. i want to find this london one now! thanks:thumb:

The 'normal' single is not the Manchester version.
Two other versions were recorded, one in Manchester and one in, er, London and they were added as extra songs on the 12 inch (and then there was the NY vocal and instrumental versions) too.
Then there is the Hatful of Hollow version too.

Jukebox Jury

You can get these 12"s:

1983_thischarming12_1.jpg
1983_thischarming12_2.jpg

1983_thischarmingthesmiths12_1.jpg
1983_thischarmingthesmiths12_2.jpg

1983_thischarming12_newyork_1.jpg
1983_thischarming12_newyork_2.jpg

1983_thischarming12_1992_1.jpg
1983_thischarming12_1992_2.jpg

As I've always understood it the Manchester version IS the single version and the only reason it was subtitled "Manchester" was to differentiate between the "London" version on the original 12 inch.

They recorded the London one first but didn't think it was good enough. Then they recorded the Manchester one which became the single version. Even though on the original 7 inch single the A side doesn't say "Manchester" version it is the Manchester version. They put the "London" version on the 12 inch as an extra track so that's why on the 12 inch only the normal single version was given the "Manchester" name. I'm sure there's an early radio interview where Morrissey says that the Manchester one is indeed the proper single.

Back
Top Bottom