'This Charming Man' video upgraded into HD for the first time

Another old Smiths video upgraded, as posted on the official Facebook page. Total speculation, but I wonder if we might get a 'Complete Picture' reissue on blu ray at some point?

Comparison video here:

Full video here:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Passions blurb:
"This Charming Man" [1983]
Two different videos were made for "This Charming Man", both date back to 1983 when the song was first released. The first one was filmed by UK television show The Tube. It shows the band playing the song in an empty room. It can be found on "The Complete Picture". However, the version of the song used for the compilation is not the original one. The original broadcast version used the "London" version and featured Mike Joyce's opening crash. The "Manchester" version of the song was dubbed over the footage for the compilation.
The other video is similar, but still uncompiled. It was used as a promo when WEA re-released "This Charming Man" in 1992. It shows the Smiths playing in a room with the floor littered with flowers and an imitation of the single's cover, with Morrissey gazing at his reflection. It was taken from the Riverside television program (7 November 1983) previously available on "Video Bongo", a compilation tape made available from the NME by mail-order only in 1984.

I have the above Video Bongo version (assuming it hasn't oxidised in to oblivion), so, it will get ripped and shared at some point.

Edit:
Already on YT:

(Forgotten how good the above was).

Looking at the TCM 'upgrade', my YT snooper tells me the highest quality is 1920*1080 at 25fps (3.26Mbit/avc). Audio is 0.14Mbit Opus.
Gut feeling is that they ripped the DVD and replaced a lower quality version.
The effort required to re-transfer from film or video tape hasn't happened for this video?
Regards,
FWD.

For shame, í have never seen this footage before. It's way cuter than 'The Tube' variant. Would've looked sweet on film.

Gotta love YT; in the comments section beneath, both the original director, David G Croft, and editor, Richard Steel, chip in and offer some memories. Apparently it was shot at the pumping station at Kew in just two hours, and 'the band' insisted {í'm sure Joyce was immovable on the point?} that the telly types spend £150 on flowers for the shoot {"which was a lot of flowers back then"}.

I have the above Video Bongo version (assuming it hasn't oxidised in to oblivion), so, it will get ripped and shared at some point.

í know the feeling...

The Smiths are timeless. As important a part of anyone's adolescence as David Bowie or Lou Reed.

And we need Morrissey's message more than ever - think for yourself and don't follow the crowd.

The Smiths are timeless. As important a part of anyone's adolescence as David Bowie or Lou Reed.

And we need Morrissey's message more than ever - think for yourself and don't follow the crowd.
Yes, absolutely.

Rubbish quality video but serves as a reminder of how superior The Smiffs were compared to Mozz Sticks current rubbish “band”. Of course, quality of band means nothing to Mozz as long as it affords him continued purchase and consumption of the world’s finest dairy cheeses.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom