Tickets From Box Office/Touts

Like earlier this year, I plan to buy tickets from the box office in Manchester on Friday, I am thinking it will be limited to two tickets per person (one for each night) like it was limited to four in [January?]. This would be shit because I need two for each night as my friend cannot personally get down on friday so I may ask someone to go with me.

Clearly, we will all have to put up with scummy chavs buying tickets on behalf of touts. What can we do to make them feel totally intimidated???!

Finally what's the best time to get there to get a good place in the queue? I came around 8AM last time and the queue was quite large.

I find this a bit strange as in Canada the limit of tickets per person is 8. Why is it so low in UK? :confused:

What can we do to make them intimidated?

We can do nothing. At the MEN Arena two years ago there was about 20 or so lads there buying for the touts. They were intimidating us, not the other way round!

In reply to the question about the limit on tickets, it is only when a major gig comes up that tickets are limited purely to make it potentially harder for touts to get tickets and easier for fans. Whether that works or not is open to debate.

The Goat

Of course limiting the tickets doesn't work it just means there has to be more kids in the queue to purchase for the touts. The only real solution is to prohibit cash sales at the box offices. The kids employed by the touts to join the queue (and rarely the end of the queue either) are far too young to have any alternative form of payment, so they use cash. The number of genuine fans that would be inconvenienced by this change would be insignificant compared to the numbers who fail to get tickets from official sources and end up buying from the touts. There should also be some responsibility taken by the ticket agents to ensure nobody gets intimidated in the queue in the first place, these agencies make a small fortune from so-called handling charges and charge well above the cost for postage too. My advice would be not to panic and just do what you can and then wait and see , after the initial rush there will be tickets available. The touts rely on people panic buying their Buy it Now auctions on the day of the sale.

Like earlier this year, I plan to buy tickets from the box office in Manchester on Friday, I am thinking it will be limited to two tickets per person (one for each night) like it was limited to four in [January?]. This would be shit because I need two for each night as my friend cannot personally get down on friday so I may ask someone to go with me.

Clearly, we will all have to put up with scummy chavs buying tickets on behalf of touts. What can we do to make them feel totally intimidated???!

Finally what's the best time to get there to get a good place in the queue? I came around 8AM last time and the queue was quite large.
Do you mean the box office in ST.Annes square? Is that the best place to go??

The Easy internet cafe on St Annes square is probably the best place to go although the Palace theatre is also selling them as far as I know. When I was getting Bridgewater tickets in January the touts turned up at six o'clock, but that was with the Bridgewater Hall box office opening at ten. The box office in St Annes square will open at nine so maybe the touts will be there a little earlier than six. I would suggest getting there as early as you can and judge for yourself based on the numbers present when you get there. If you don't think it's worth staying until the box office opens you can always get home in plenty of time to get on the net or the phones when ticketmaster and gigsandtours begin their sales. I will be going in and seeing how it looks, might be completely unecessary to go in that early but for your own peace of mind it might be worth the trip. The problem with the internet is that if you want tickets for more than one show you might need to make multiple bookings while remaining within the ticket limit (if there is one). I have never booked for more than one show on the net or the phone. Goodluck whatever you decide to do.

Dont panic. There are always tickets available. I cant see them selling out that quickly this time especially near xmas. Even if they do wait until a week before the show and you will pick one up off here or ebay for less than face value. I couldnt go to V festival and in the end sold my £60 ticket for £25 on ebay. There were 800 tickets on ebay with 1 week to go. Suppy will often outstrip demand especially at larger concerts with bigger capacities. There is bound to be the odd poster on this board who has the odd spare too having bought for mates who then decide not to go.

Thanks very much Sleepy Lifeguard, Swiss and anyone else with suggestions

QUOTE]

There is a very interesting suggestion on the main page, it gives the contact details for Manchester City Councils Truancy Officer, who (accompanied by the police) would make a very welcome addition to the queue on Friday. Let's face it, all these kids are of school age. The Police alone will just ignore the situation. But involving the Truancy people shifts the spotlight towards the welfare of these kids, who should be in school, like good little boys and girls!!

I don't remember any of the kids being intimidating in Manchester ticket queues of late, more irritating. But thats kids for you.

I sense the panic is starting already? Fuel for Touts!

Back
Top Bottom