Too Good to be True?

Re: Too Good to be True????

£3999!!!!!!!!!! Not a chance...

Are these the TP's that have the initials of the band (plus Joe Moss) etched into them? So, five exist and two of them have 'JM' etched in the run out. Wonder what Morrissey had - M or SPM?

Dave

£3999!!!!!!!!!! Not a chance...

Are these the TP's that have the initials of the band (plus Joe Moss) etched into them? So, five exist and two of them have 'JM' etched in the run out. Wonder what Morrissey had - M or SPM?

Dave

I don't know Dave, there's just zero detail in the sales blurb, which to be frank, made me think something was amiss. If these were mine and I wanted to sell them, I'd give the full story around how they were acquired, full pics of matrix numbers, run out messages etc etc. They look freshly pressed.

The Meat is Murder test looks like someone has copied Mike Joyce's autograph onto it.

Perhaps I'm being unfair...but the Reel test press has been relisted as it didn't sell first time...lot of money to fork out without full authentication...

DO NOT PAY THESE RIP-OFF PRICES!! He isn't a fan but a dealer trying to fleece real fans as he bought the items at far lower prices!

If no-one bids then he will be forced to drop his prices so then fans can buy them for a reasonable and fair amount.

From Passions Just Like Mine (thank god that it is back!):
UK 7" - 1983 test pressing [Rough Trade RT131]
Two-sided test pressing of the original 'Manchester' version listed above. Has handwriting on it saying "The Smiths" and "Hand In Glove" on side A and "Handsome Devil" on side B. Some copies also have 'A' and 'B' handwritten on the label. It is expected about 5-10 copies may have been pressed, one for each member of the band, plus a few more for record company people. Johnny and Mike's copies are now in the hands of collectors. Mike's was autographed.
RT 131 A1 / RT 131 B1
Unlisted in the 2005 Record Collector Top 100 Smiths collectibles because the author believed the item had not yet made it into any collector's hands.​

No mention of any initials being etched (maybe that was an urban myth I've picked up somewhere...) how would you know this one belonged to Johnny?

Still £4k? You'd have to have some very deep pockets to consider it. Is it worth twice as much as a Neg HiG? I wouldn't have thought so. Will be interesting to see if this and the others sell. Some are keenly priced but the TCM test pressing was (I think) only valued at £75 by Record Collector a few years back, so to see it listed for £1000 seems optimistic.

Dave

They look freshly pressed.

It's amazing what a record will look like after a polish and the right lighting - any record can look freshly pressed. Don't worry, this looks like the rear deal.

Perhaps I'm being unfair...but the Reel test press has been relisted as it didn't sell first time...lot of money to fork out without full authentication...

These Reel test pressings come up fairly regularly (for such a rare item) look at some sold prices on Popsike I'd say £1,000 to £1,200 was about right, maybe someone, somewhere will pay £1500...

Dave

Anonymous - I have no problem with the prices. They're worth whatever someone will pay for them, and if they are the real thing, I wish it was me. Been a Smiths collector since 84 and these are truly holy grail items.

Dave - interesting comments, I wonder where you picked up the idea about the initialed etchings. I've always had a bit of a problem with the negative HIG sleeve being the ultimate Smiths rarity, and personally would much prefer a Reel test press in my collection :)

I'm keeping a close eye on these auctions!

DO NOT PAY THESE RIP-OFF PRICES!! He isn't a fan but a dealer trying to fleece real fans as he bought the items at far lower prices!

If no-one bids then he will be forced to drop his prices so then fans can buy them for a reasonable and fair amount.

That's capitalism for you.... the market dictates that the records are worth what someone will pay for them.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom