Torquil Campbell of Canadian indie band Stars on listening to Morrissey / Smiths

Link from Paul:

‘We all know our lives have been f**ked by the internet’ - The Irish Times
Torquil Campbell, the frontman of Canadian indie posters Stars, on free speech, The Smiths and the impact of music

Excerpt:

...His early heroes were obviously The Smiths, patron saints of glum adolescents from Saskatchewan to Salford. He continues to listen to their records, though with understandable ambivalence given Morrissey’s alleged right-wing views.

“It’s just so depressing,” says Campbell. “I feel bad for Johnny Marr. I feel bad for me – they’re my favourite band of all time. I feel bad for all the people who love The Smiths. I can still listen to Morrissey. I can still on a certain level love it. I don’t think the Smiths will ever stop being my favourite band. But it sure is sad to see someone who came so close to understanding things pull away and insulate himself against love, life and people.

“He strikes me as a very sad person now – but not in the way of being sad with us. He’s sad alone. He’s sitting in some house in Los Angeles, watching Fox News, thinking he’s being clever because he disagrees with Billy Bragg. It’s not clever, man.”

full

Last edited:
Oh, I absolutely love Stars. Anyone who loves Morrissey really should check out songs like Your Ex-Lover Is Dead, Fluorescent Light or Privilege. Thoughtful and intelligent pop music well done.

Well. Every one is different and what Morrissey does with his personal life is his bussiness. I love him for his music, his voice and that makes me so f***ing happy. So the real fans don't give a f*** about his politics or personal life. Just keep touring with your fabulous Band please Morrissey. By the way. Just because he is against the monarchy he is been attack by the conservatives . I feel sorry for those who work to support the monarchy . I can Bow only to God my Mom and Morrissey .

torquil is a Scottish name,heaven help us.its the same old same old,im sure M isn't sitting in a darkened room.does he not realise that Morrissey has always been an outsider and never followed a certain path.

f***ing dick.
you tell him stiv,another wannabe looking for a bit of free press.if he said this a year ago it would be relevant but as the yanks say, hes a bit late to the party.

f***ing dick.
Who are you talking at. ya daft wee goof?

You know him? I do. He’s a top-shelf chap. ...and he’s got a REAL band.

Standing in front of a mirror, while you tapped that out, eh? Don’t trip over your clown shoes on your way up the stairs from mommy’s basement to get your Toaster-Strudel, Shit-stain.

This man says he feels sorry for Morrissey's fans. That's quite an arrogant presumption. Doesn't he realise that many of us are proud of Morrissey's honesty and intuition in his so called controversial comments?

Time and again these priveleged liberals in the entertainment business indicate the bubble they live in - a reality-insulated world where everyone hates Trump, loves the globalist EU and has a breakdown whenever someone cites the obvious downsides of mass immigration.

Morrissey, from the very beginning, has never adhered to the tacit rules of the game and never will.

Last edited:
you tell him stiv,another wannabe looking for a bit of free press.if he said this a year ago it would be relevant but as the yanks say, hes a bit late to the party.
The party is over.

...and you’re your the friendless, creepy INCEL that wasn’t invited but showed up anyway, shit the bed and just refuses to leave.

The authorities are on their way.

Truth is Moz is/was just ahead of everyone in many ways; prescient.
I'd follow him anywhere.

...and I don't think Moz watches the news...don't yu know it:

'Contrives to frighten you,
To make you feel small and alone
To make you feel that your mind isn't your own'

This bloke knows nothing!

This man says he feels sorry for Morrissey's fans. That's quite an arrogant presumption. Doesn't he realise that many of us are proud of Morrissey's honestly and intuition in his so called controversial comments?

Time and again these priveleged liberals in the entertainment business indicate the bubble they live in - a reality-insulated world where everyone hates Trump, loves the globalist EU and has a breakdown whenever someone cites the obvious downsides of mass immigration.

Morrissey, from the very beginning, has never adhered to the tacit rules of the game and never will.

Totally agree with all of this, but think you mean 'proud of Morrissey's honesty and intuition in his so called controversial comments'?

Reading this I realize we all must stop saying Morrissey what he should or should not do, what he must think or feel or how to live. He knows it a million times better. He is his own person and that's why we all love him.
I feel so stupid when I read other people being even more stupid.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom