Saturday, 12/26/09 at 9:30pm
Subterranean - 2011 W. North Ave., Chicago
Tickets $10 (17+)

http://girlsrockchicago.org/

The article in today's Chicago Tribune below:

(this pic w/o the title)
Morrissey_YOR.jpg

Emo dudes rock out for a good cause

The night after Christmas, after everyone is tuckered out from returning some heinous or misbegotten present, some of Chicago's post-emo stars will be putting on a show for the girls. The pre-teen girls, actually.

Old friends and scene-mates Bob Nanna (Braid), Mike Kinsella (Owen, Joan of Arc), Joe Trohman (Fall Out Boy) and Drew Brown (Weekend Nachos) will be paying tribute to the patron saint of the young and awkward - Morrissey. The swoony modern rock icon has been a go-to for shy boys and misunderstood girls since his days in the early 80's fronting The Smiths. The occasion for the show isn't merely a show of their long-standing fandom, but of support - the proceeds are going directly to Girls Rock Chicago, a non-profit summer camp that provides girls 8 to 18 the chance to pursue their love of music and rock out.

Jennifer Czajka is the GRC's fundraising director and a longtime friend of Kinsella's, and, during a Thanksgiving dinner shared by their families, asked him if he'd play the show. "I said of course, but not as Owen. I had done a couple tribute nights in the past and Bob (Nanna) was over too, so I asked him. At first we were going to do Fleetwood Mac, but that proved to be a bit daunting - the songs were harder than we thought." Both Nanna and Kinsella had been Morrissey fans since their teens, and so it seemed natural to take on the singer's catalog. They roped in Trohman and Brown, themselves super-fans, each with a "Viva Hate" tattoo, referencing the definitive Morrissey album.

Kinsella's interest in supporting the camp came through seeing the results firsthand. "A few years ago, the first year Jenifer's daughter Mabel went to Girls Rock Camp, at the end of the week, we went to the Metro and saw the showcase of all the campers' bands, and it was just great. I have a little girl of my own, and even though she's only 9 months, I'm excited that there is this sort of thing out there for her and want to support it," explains Kinsella.

For Czajka, she's encouraged by such an enthusiastic all-star lineup and is hoping that despite it being a holiday weekend, the turnout is substantial. This year, Girls Rock Chicago had the biggest single-session camp of the 20-plus girls rock camps in the North America, with 80 girls. "And still, we had another 40 girls on a wait list past that, and turned away possibly hundreds beyond that. It's awful to have to turn girls away, so we are breaking it up into two sessions." The dual sessions mean double the costs. No camper is turned away for inability to pay, so more than half the campers attend on reduced or waived tuition. In 2010, GRC is expecting even fewer families able to afford the full $400. The camp is redoubling fundraising and outreach goalr in hopes of keeping up with its accelerating expansion. "In 2006, there were 17 girls. Next year, we are hoping to accomodate 120."

*Great cause. I'm getting my girls on the wait list now* :guitar::D

Thx, posted on my Facebook.

Tags
tribute
Back
Top Bottom