TTY: new photo by Sam Esty Rayner

Do you really think that the only reason somebody might ruthlessly interrogate Morrissey's claims to artistic integrity and innovation is that they feel 'spurned' by him? And that, somehow, they still 'love' him? And are trying to hide that 'dearest love' by pretending to 'hate' him? Let me make my position clear. I do not 'love' Morrissey and never have. But I don't hate him either. What fascinates me is how somebody who is now clearly exposed as a charlatan and a careerist has managed to manage his image so adroitly over decades before finally bringing his alabaster crashing down with his absurd behaviour in recent weeks. I'm intrigued by this notion of 'community' which you posit. For years I've sketched out the idea that there exists his 'fans', many of whom are as disturbed and delusional as he clearly is and there is his 'audience' who experience similar feelings of enjoyment and catharsis from the songs and live performances but have never surrendered to any ludicrous notions of 'love' or 'adulation'. One can be a 'fan' of a pop culture figure until one is around 18, then one either becomes a member of the audience or joins Morrissey in the casualty ward.

Dignifying the repellent #ProfitFromParis email as merely 'strange and controversial' shows how unable you are to untangle yourself from your own emotional involvement and investment in his career. It is odd that you think you can analyse other's responses from such a position of Stockholm Syndrome entanglement. I also cannot see that the current debate about Paris is making the same points over and over again. The Boz email is spectacular proof of Morrissey's estrangement from consensual reality. And the most bizarre aspect is that he has provided the evidence that damns him. Other than an arrest for sex crimes, it's hard to imagine a more total humiliation. I will continue to critically monitor Morrissey's pubic career as, for me, it resonates beyond his own absurd clownish trolling. He has traded on Radical Outsider Art and Politics which was and is a formative influence in my life. What is now clear to me is that he is a pseud and a fraud but that doesn't mean he can't sing. One can only feel compassion for such a tragic person, trapped in a neurotic cul-de-sac of decreasing fame, surrounded by sycophants and mistaking the mutual dopamine rush of a good record or gig as 'love'. I cannot see this ending well for Morrissey. He will try to ignore it, as he did with Oslo and the 'Chinese sub-species' brouhaha, but this time it's different. The mask has slipped and only the truly disturbed could 'love' a specimen such as Morrissey who has clearly sought to exploit the death of 130 people for personal and career aggrandisement.

best
BrummieBoy

I have never really thought about it in such a clear separation. I guess I would say you are correct, I was a "fan" and then grew up in the world and found I was just an "audience" member. But reading your statements, they are a reasonable take on a human condition. I like how you separate his ability to sing as it is pretty good. But me, who has to live in the "real" world getting "real" things done, if I acquiesced to his "persona", it would be absolutely destructive in the relationships I have.

I hate to use the cliche but the reason I've been coming here lately is because Morrissey has become the car crash I can't look away from. I've never been one of the people that wears his t-shirts or puts up his posters on the wall, but once upon a time his music did mean a lot to me. I do see in other people that they have a sense of ownership over some celebrities, and may feel betrayed when the relationship was all in their heads to start with. Even if Morrissey might encourage fan worship I don't hold him responsible for people thinking that they, or I, know him.

Anyone who visits any fan site is slightly odd, though. The music should be enough. I liked him and his music more before I ever had access to the Internet. I have learned a lot about him, on a surface level, and about his sources, and in some ways it might have helped me understand him more, maybe. Or maybe I just traded one illusion for another. But I used to listen to Smiths and then Morrissey long ago when a lot of what he was singing about were things I was going through and didn't have anyone to talk to about it. So I did have something of a distorted relationship to his records. I have been a fan of other bands and singers, but it was different with him. I know that sounds ridiculous. I guess I was part of "the cult" before I knew anyone else who even liked him.

I got mad about the "humasexual" nonsense, not because I "need him to be gay" but because it seemed like such a dumb and pointless lie. All you have to do is listen to the lyrics to figure out his sexuality, but whatever, we have already argued about this and maybe people need him to be what they need him to be. I think that the truth is that if he said he was gay a lot of his straight male fans would immediately jump ship, but whatever. I got over it. I don't care what he says about his sexuality. It doesn't change the songs or how I hear them and I'm not much interested in his personal life. I've never read any of those books about him, including his autobiography. I did not find it that interesting.

But the actions of the past few days are really fascinating to me, and maybe I do care because I am still a fan, and maybe irrationally, I do feel sort of betrayed. I do think it is about time for me to leave. I'm enjoying the discussions but soon it's just going to be the same old rehash and I don't have time to come here and write endlessly about it.

So, yes, tl;dr, blah blah blah, who cares, but that is "why I come here."

In regards to the 'Humasexual' nonsense' .......

from, 'Autobiography' :

' Patti Smith spoke with a boy's bluntness,and she looked for squabbles wherever she went. 'Horses' pinned all opponents to the ground. It shook the very laws of existence,and was part musical recording and part throwing up. Its discovery was the reason why we could never give up on music,and its effects were huge.
...and I would spend the night on Birmingham's New Street Station in order to witness Patti Smith at the Birmingham Odeon. In a dream state I watch her explode as she takes on the lesbian contingent at the front who are calling for Patti to 'come out'(were to? from what?), and they heckle in almost every song.' - M.

Usually at some point in ones life we look outside ourselves for someone or thing to believe in. And if it is another person that has fallen/risen to be placed on the pedestal in ones imagination of what is 'good' or what is 'true' then that person or image one has of that person is nourished cultivated and then feelings of ownership ensues. Eventually when that person that one believes in takes a breath(yes they're alive!)and breaks the cherished idea of the believer then things get weird and then comes the pain. Simply because the person believed in refused to succumb to the believer's(or people in general) definition of what they believe they think they are and what they believe they think what the person they believe in SHOULD be..HAS to be .... Or ELSE... OUT comes the stake and the flames!... and the melting Walkman/hearing aid.

What I'm saying is.. if one has to be defined and put into a box..then I think he feels that it would only be fair that the defining is BETTER left to ones self. And invention here is closer to the truth for him.

Last edited:
are there any pictures of an unshaven Morrissey?

Do you live in a cave? Just google Morrissey moustache and you will see.
I didn't realize until the biography picture of M's father that he looks a lot like his dad. Does he ever mention him? Only talks about his mom.

Awwwww ! Bless your cotton socks for putting your toe back in the water K S, I feel your pain ! I feel your shame ! Your not to blame !

Now then ! Silly Steven ! Trolling the Paris atrocities for self gain !

In your own time !

Thanks have a great wknd !

Benny-the-British-Butcher

You're not to blame, not your. And you don't put a space before a punctuation mark. Butchering the language, Bendy. Put the drink down.

from, 'Autobiography' :

' Patti Smith spoke with a boy's bluntness,and she looked for squabbles wherever she went. 'Horses' pinned all opponents to the ground. It shook the very laws of existence,and was part musical recording and part throwing up. Its discovery was the reason why we could never give up on music,and its effects were huge.
...and I would spend the night on Birmingham's New Street Station in order to witness Patti Smith at the Birmingham Odeon. In a dream state I watch her explode as she takes on the lesbian contingent at the front who are calling for Patti to 'come out'(were to? from what?), and they heckle in almost every song.' - M.

Usually at some point in ones life we look outside ourselves for someone or thing to believe in. And if it is another person that has fallen/risen to be placed on the pedestal in ones imagination of what is 'good' or what is 'true' then that person or image one has of that person is nourished cultivated and then feelings of ownership ensues. Eventually when that person that one believes in takes a breath(yes they're alive!)and breaks the cherished idea of the believer then things get weird and then comes the pain. Simply because the person believed in refused to succumb to the believer's(or people in general) definition of what they believe they think they are and what they believe they think what the person they believe in SHOULD be..HAS to be .... Or ELSE... OUT comes the stake and the flames!... and the melting Walkman/hearing aid.

What I'm saying is.. if one has to be defined and put into a box..then I think he feels that it would only be fair that the defining is BETTER left to ones self. And invention here is closer to the truth for him.
Christ we finally agree on something

Well alright, then. Carry on. That must explain this, too.

neil-young-by-terry-richardson-for-supreme-06.jpg

Shot by Terry Richardson... That's like irony∞

Terry Richardson is another has-been troll. Neil Young looks almost as ridiculous as Morrissey. Perhaps 'Supreme' realise the game's up and are re-focussing towards the Dad Rock market. They are all dreck. Dylan advertising Ford motor cars. Cohen making excuses for his sex-pest 'guru'. There's no difference between Moz & NY being a walking advert for conspicuous consumption t-shirt brands and Kanye selling $$$$$ trainers. Well, there's one difference. Kanye is open about being a nutcase and a capitalist entrepreneur milking 'rebellion' to make money. If only Morrissey, NY and the rest of those charlatans would have the same honesty and integrity. 'Rust Never Sleeps'. Etc. Didn't Kurt's cardigan sell for some ludicrous amount recently? Music is now a total joke. Other than Adele, of course.

best
BB

I hate to use the cliche but the reason I've been coming here lately is because Morrissey has become the car crash I can't look away from. I've never been one of the people that wears his t-shirts or puts up his posters on the wall, but once upon a time his music did mean a lot to me. I do see in other people that they have a sense of ownership over some celebrities, and may feel betrayed when the relationship was all in their heads to start with. Even if Morrissey might encourage fan worship I don't hold him responsible for people thinking that they, or I, know him.

Anyone who visits any fan site is slightly odd, though. The music should be enough. I liked him and his music more before I ever had access to the Internet. I have learned a lot about him, on a surface level, and about his sources, and in some ways it might have helped me understand him more, maybe. Or maybe I just traded one illusion for another. But I used to listen to Smiths and then Morrissey long ago when a lot of what he was singing about were things I was going through and didn't have anyone to talk to about it. So I did have something of a distorted relationship to his records. I have been a fan of other bands and singers, but it was different with him. I know that sounds ridiculous. I guess I was part of "the cult" before I knew anyone else who even liked him.

I got mad about the "humasexual" nonsense, not because I "need him to be gay" but because it seemed like such a dumb and pointless lie. All you have to do is listen to the lyrics to figure out his sexuality, but whatever, we have already argued about this and maybe people need him to be what they need him to be. I think that the truth is that if he said he was gay a lot of his straight male fans would immediately jump ship, but whatever. I got over it. I don't care what he says about his sexuality. It doesn't change the songs or how I hear them and I'm not much interested in his personal life. I've never read any of those books about him, including his autobiography. I did not find it that interesting.

But the actions of the past few days are really fascinating to me, and maybe I do care because I am still a fan, and maybe irrationally, I do feel sort of betrayed. I do think it is about time for me to leave. I'm enjoying the discussions but soon it's just going to be the same old rehash and I don't have time to come here and write endlessly about it.

So, yes, tl;dr, blah blah blah, who cares, but that is "why I come here."

Thank you for sharing these reflections. You appear to enjoy excellent mental health and an entirely appropriate and balanced relationship to popular culture. I also cannot stop rubber-necking at Morrissey's ongoing pile-up. "Always Crashing In The Same Car", so to speak. I believe passionately in the power of Art to nourish and enrich, that's why I took umbrage when I realised that Morrissey was a total fraud who had desecrated the graves of so many cultural figures who had spoken to me. As I am about his age, the idea of being a 'fan' was always ludicrous. In the beginning some of us assumed his antics were a post-modern ironic take on 'stardom' and 'fandom'. It was only in later years that the Internet revealed that he is absolutely barking mad. Unlike you I do have time to come here and write endlessly about it, though I do get bored and stop for a few months now and then. Morrissey is just a symptom of the plague of charlatanism and fraudulent 'authenticity' in popular culture. However, he is the most egregious offender by far, as he lays claim to being 'authentic'. His #ProfitFromParis email puts to rest any lingering doubts that there is even a scintilla of sincerity in his 'art'. He is a vile troll who also happens to have a melodious singing voice. The fact he has used this vocal talent to lure the gullible and delusional into his cult is fascinating but the game is up. He will be remembered as a fool.

best
BB

I have never really thought about it in such a clear separation. I guess I would say you are correct, I was a "fan" and then grew up in the world and found I was just an "audience" member. But reading your statements, they are a reasonable take on a human condition. I like how you separate his ability to sing as it is pretty good. But me, who has to live in the "real" world getting "real" things done, if I acquiesced to his "persona", it would be absolutely destructive in the relationships I have.

Thanks for that response. Morrissey clearly despises the 'real' world and is so divorced from consensual reality that he couldn't function in it. If he were not surrounded by a bubble of wealth and sychophants he would probably be advised to seek psychiatric help to reign in his absurd 'conspiracy theories' about The Queen, the Music Business, and all the rest of his delusional outbursts. The fact that he has a melodious singing voice means little. Victorians would go and watch lunatics in asylums for fun. No doubt some of those incarcerated could hold a tune and had bizarre conspiracy theories to air. I see no difference between those Victorians and the attendees at a Morrissey concert/cult convention, other than I think the entire venue should be put on lockdown and subjected to psychiatric evaluation for public safety reasons. Morrissey has expressed the view that his opponents in the circus industry should be 'bombed back to the Stone Age'. One can only hope his cult devotees do not take him seriously. He is also in a circus industy called 'popular music' and increasingly remembles a tormented seal. Unlike the seals, however, he has the choice and the means to escape his self-inflicted torment. He chooses not too, hence the stage will remain the stocks where people like me throw rotten tomatoes at him. For his own good.

best
BB

best
BB

from, 'Autobiography' :

Just because you chose to put Morrissey on a pedestal and act out his fantasy of 'fan', don't assume everyone in his audience did. I didn't. I do not worship idols. Never have, never will. The idea that challenging his absurdities can only be explained by justifying his Joan of Arc martyrdom fantasy is equally delusional. Whatever re-invention Morrissey proposed and achieved by dropping 'Steven' and becoming a C list pop star now lies in absolute ruins, the alabaster has come crashing down. Good luck to him or any of his enablers/sychophants/fans in glueing back together the smashed idol that was 'Morrissey'. After #ProfitFromParis he is finished. This is an entirely satisfactory conclusion to his decades of delusionality.

best
BB

As you say, "music should be enough" and "all you have to do is listen to the lyrics". There's a marketing/PR war out there, and some little battles are taking place here. You don't need to take part of it, you only need to be aware of its existence, because anything goes in war. Maybe you are not being betrayed, you are being fooled. Follow your heart.

I only care about the sexuality of the person who is actually having sex with me, because it's a private matter. Privacy is a human right: your sexual choice is yours until you decide to share it with the world. It's extremely rude to ask a person about his or her sexuality, so the answer "humasexual" seems extremely polite and kind compared to the answer that question actually deserves.

Nonsense. Morrissey explicity denied he was 'homosexual', thus inviting entirely legitimate enquiries as to the nature of his sexuality. Having fudged the issue with 'celibate', he then retreated behind the preposterous neologism of 'humsexual'. Either he is asexual, heterosexual or his denial of homsexuality is fraudulent. Nobody else cares. He issued the denial, hence the legitimate questioning of what 'humasexual' is meant to encompass.

best
BB

- - - Updated - - -

secure your tongue, dude.

I'm typing, not speaking. Do you use your tongue to compose your comments? Probably. Next!

best
BB

You're not to blame, not your. And you don't put a space before a punctuation mark. Butchering the language, Bendy. Put the drink down.

Thanks for that ! Now then ! ! ! ! Oh yes ! Up yours.

I've got mine for May. I'm excited to buckle up for a 3 hour set.
Yeh looking forward to a long set as well, I always get standing tickets for morrissey concerts but I've gone for seated tickets for The Cure, I must be getting old, just didn't fancy standing for a 3 hour set, tickets were great value, £37 each

Yeh looking forward to a long set as well, I always get standing tickets for morrissey concerts but I've gone for seated tickets for The Cure, I must be getting old, just didn't fancy standing for a 3 hour set, tickets were great value, £37 each

Crikey ! That's value for money ! Three hours ! 37 quid ! Decent venue ! No black curtain trickery ! No silly shirt tossing nonsense ! Guys who can play guitars !
That's gotta be the hottest ticket of the year.

Terry Richardson is another has-been troll. Neil Young looks almost as ridiculous as Morrissey. Perhaps 'Supreme' realise the game's up and are re-focussing towards the Dad Rock market. They are all dreck. Dylan advertising Ford motor cars. Cohen making excuses for his sex-pest 'guru'. There's no difference between Moz & NY being a walking advert for conspicuous consumption t-shirt brands and Kanye selling $$$$$ trainers. Well, there's one difference. Kanye is open about being a nutcase and a capitalist entrepreneur milking 'rebellion' to make money. If only Morrissey, NY and the rest of those charlatans would have the same honesty and integrity. 'Rust Never Sleeps'. Etc. Didn't Kurt's cardigan sell for some ludicrous amount recently? Music is now a total joke. Other than Adele, of course.

best
BB

This is what I think. Neil Young is/was in business with Supreme now. You can buy coffee mugs and shirts featuring him wearing a Supreme shirt, ($188 on ebay, sold out in stores) and Morrissey is/was probably next. That's why there is the similarity in the pictures. The young people that buy Supreme now are probably at an age where they are discovering Neil Young. Wonder if Morrissey will do the Vans Warped Tour?
Terry Richardson is a notorious creep and his photos are nothing special but he is famous and I guess his abuse of his models would make him seem edgy to some people.

Crikey ! That's value for money ! Three hours ! 37 quid ! Decent venue ! No black curtain trickery ! No silly shirt tossing nonsense ! Guys who can play guitars !
That's gotta be the hottest ticket of the year.

Benny-the-British-Butcher ������

Double up on your caffeine intake. Robert Smith is as exciting as a bucket of lard. His time was up in 1990.

Double up on your caffeine intake. Robert Smith is as exciting as a bucket of lard. His time was up in 1990.

Such a shame for the tens of thousands of people who've bought tickets for the shows. They're going to be gut-wrenched that you've told them he was a has-been in 1990.

This is what I think. Neil Young is/was in business with Supreme now. You can buy coffee mugs and shirts featuring him wearing a Supreme shirt, ($188 on ebay, sold out in stores) and Morrissey is/was probably next. That's why there is the similarity in the pictures. The young people that buy Supreme now are probably at an age where they are discovering Neil Young. Wonder if Morrissey will do the Vans Warped Tour?
Terry Richardson is a notorious creep and his photos are nothing special but he is famous and I guess his abuse of his models would make him seem edgy to some people.

Well, he was keen to flog his arse to Lollapalooza in 2004 so nothing would surprise me. Sadly for Morrissey, the entire tour was binned so he never got to connect with the flyover states to the degree he could headline The Sheds. Skater dads will drag their siblings along to the Morrissey-Supreme TeeShirt tour. More child abuse scandals. f*** Morrissey.

best
BB

LOLLAPALOOZA, 2004 CANCELS ALL DATES

Los Angeles, CA - June 22, 2004 -- Even with what has been touted as the best line-up since its inception in 1991, with such eclectic and respected artists as Morrissey, Sonic Youth, PJ Harvey, and The Flaming Lips, among others, and the most competitive ticket prices in the marketplace for a tour this size, it was not enough to counter the weak economic state of this years summer touring season. Therefore, it is with the utmost regret that due to poor ticket sales across the board, the Lollapalooza, 2004 tour has been cancelled. This morning, tour organizers and concert promoters faced with several million dollars of losses, made the very tough decision to pull the tour.

Marc Geiger, co-founder of the tour stated, "I am in utter disbelief that a concert of this stature, with the most exciting line-up I've seen in years did not galvanize ticket sales. I'm surprised that given the great bands and the reduced ticket prices that we didn't have enough sales to sustain the tour. Concert promoters across the country are facing similar problems. Many summer tours are experiencing weak ticket sales."

Alex Hodges, Executive Vice President of HOB Concerts, commented, "In real terms, it's been a tough summer. Ticket sales have been mixed and often inexplicably soft. There are a number of contributing factors, and, as a result, many tours have been cut-back, rerouted or cancelled."

Fans who have supported the tour and who have bought tickets nationwide will be given full refunds.

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/30887-Lollapalooza-Cancelled

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom