TTY statement: Hammersmith last ever UK gigs?!

Bang on, Buzzcocks play 100 ish gigs a year all over the world and generally for 6k per night unless its Manchester/London where they self promote as this is where they draw their largest crowds or a festival where they agree a fee. Brilliant business model - 300 to a thousand at most gigs (2500 London/Manchester) £25 per ticket. Even the smaller 300 sized gigs in places like Walsall/Homfirth , the venue makes £1500 plus beer takings. And to keep the hard core fans happy they record an album every 6/7 years and distribute through pledge music or a record company who they sign a one off distribution deal with.

There is absolutely no reason why Morrissey couldn't do this on a bigger scale, its so frustrating.

This is all absolutely fantastic for the Buzzcocks, their fans and the Holmfirth Picturedrome. But Morrissey will never be content to be yesterday's man. If he's playing arenas today, he needs to be playing arenas tomorrow, or he will stop.

You don't need a new album to keep touring. Instead, you can tour a "greatest hits" playlist for years THEN retire...
:)

have you ever thought though that maybe he just doesnt wanna be a greatest hit act and will move over into other fields

i think if we know one thing in this life is that silly steven wont do 100 gigs a year at 6k per, whilst begging for pledge money to then make a record.
can you imagine? and then talk bollocks about the royals? there would be laughter in buckingham.

This is all absolutely fantastic for the Buzzcocks, their fans and the Holmfirth Picturedrome. But Morrissey will never be content to be yesterday's man. If he's playing arenas today, he needs to be playing arenas tomorrow, or he will stop.

that would be a sight to behold, moz doing a holiday camp gig for 300 punters. he would be the laughingstock of manchester so we can assume it will never happen.

i think if we know one thing in this life is that silly steven wont do 100 gigs a year at 6k per, whilst begging for pledge money to then make a record.
can you imagine? and then talk bollocks about the royals? there would be laughter in buckingham.

I take it you chose not to read this line?

There is absolutely no reason why Morrissey couldn't do this on a bigger scale, its so frustrating.

- - - Updated - - -

that would be a sight to behold, moz doing a holiday camp gig for 300 punters. he would be the laughingstock of manchester so we can assume it will never happen.

I take it you chose not to read this line?

you propose he go small in a big way? downgrade to upgrade? smaller but in a bigger scale? that is absurd.

Surely doing what the Buzzcocks do (i.e. playing gigs and charging money for playing gigs) but on a bigger scale is exactly what Morrissey has been doing for the past quarter of a century?

Before correcting me you should brush up a little.

Politically, Ireland is divided between the Republic of Ireland (officially also named Ireland), which covers five-sixths of the island, and Northern Ireland, a part of the United Kingdom, which covers the remaining area and is located in the northeast of the island.

Should I follow your lead and briefly skim Wikipedia?

Surely doing what the Buzzcocks do (i.e. playing gigs and charging money for playing gigs) but on a bigger scale is exactly what Morrissey has been doing for the past quarter of a century?

hes already playing in 700 seaters and golf clubs outside of the uk, and with future uk nixed then hes finally arrived at what surface has proposed. but i dont think moz is wild with happiness as to where he has been located.

also in regards to the buzzcocks. what did the way chart. as much as i like the group and there retro sound theyre a nostalgia act which is ironic when they started out as being on the edge of modernity and for sure cared about there relevancy. if they could charge more they would but they cant which is fine (and also why they play so many shows in such small venues) if you want that but some want to stay influencial in the now, its more imprtant to them and i dont think they can achieve that. i also dont think they have a bunch of other avenues to go down that would make them happy and so they dont

The Buzzcocks were nowhere near as popular as Morrissey. Ever. They have been playing the same size venues since the start of their career. Great band though.

I'm disappointed that he doesn't want to play the UK anymore. His reasons don't make sense either: if he doesn't want to tour because "with no new album" there's no point, then why be willing to tour everywhere else BUT the UK? It only makes sense if he says "No more touring at all," rather than blacklisting the UK. I don't understand.

I'm disappointed that he doesn't want to play the UK anymore. His reasons don't make sense either: if he doesn't want to tour because "with no new album" there's no point, then why be willing to tour everywhere else BUT the UK? It only makes sense if he says "No more touring at all," rather than blacklisting the UK. I don't understand.

If we take each word literally, it makes absolutely no sense at all to stop playing in the UK on the basis that a new record contract is not forthcoming.
This was my original interpretation too and I was equally baffled.

Perhaps what he meant is that these are indeed his last UK gigs, in the same way that the ones in Slovenia, Macedonia, Chile, Italy, etc are also the last in each of those countries, and there was just no need to mention each country individually.

Either way, I personally don't believe this is the last time we've seen him in the UK.
Morrissey enjoys singing in front of us as much, if not more, as we enjoy seeing him on stage.

The Buzzcocks were nowhere near as popular as Morrissey. Ever. They have been playing the same size venues since the start of their career. Great band though.

i agree wholeheartedly and yeah i took it to mean hes just not gonna tour but who knows really

The music label business is a confusing world for someone like me. Morrissey says it's impossible to get interest from labels in the UK. Last time he did an album release it was to Harvest, an imprint of Capitol which as far as I know is all American (am I wrong? am I wrong?). Isn't Steve Barnett US based? WPINOYB was released by the parent company Universal in the UK. So I guess what I'm saying is that Morrissey doesn't need a UK record label so long whatever label he's on has some global reach. So why refuse to gig in the UK? I guess this is some sort of brinkmanship. He was hoping that someone with a UK label with a soft-spot for him and his music would say "we can't allow this to happen". To extend his argument what's the point of touring at all, anywhere, without a record to promote? The answer would be because you enjoy it Morrissey (I hope), and we enjoy it. Please come back! But otherwise I will see you in far off places.

The music label business is a confusing world for someone like me. Morrissey says it's impossible to get interest from labels in the UK. Last time he did an album release it was to Harvest, an imprint of Capitol which as far as I know is all American (am I wrong? am I wrong?). Isn't Steve Barnett US based? WPINOYB was released by the parent company Universal in the UK. So I guess what I'm saying is that Morrissey doesn't need a UK record label so long whatever label he's on has some global reach. So why refuse to gig in the UK? I guess this is some sort of brinkmanship. He was hoping that someone with a UK label with a soft-spot for him and his music would say "we can't allow this to happen". To extend his argument what's the point of touring at all, anywhere, without a record to promote? The answer would be because you enjoy it Morrissey (I hope), and we enjoy it. Please come back! But otherwise I will see you in far off places.

i took it to mean that hes retiring all together but was just addressing the uk audience to tell them specifically that he wont be back if he doesnt put out a new album on a label with global reach as you say. when he tours some other places he might to say the same to those countries though if hes touring there for the first time its kinda hard to say you wont be back. he seems to have made the decision after he toured here in the u.s. and so didnt have anything to say to us at the time. also he might just have a soft spot for the u.k and felt like only announcing this to them. hard to say at this point but ive been thinking this was gonna be it for a while. ever since he put out world peace to be honest and said so at the time

"but without new releases, there is no point in any additional touring. Thank you for so many absolutely incredible times. The pleasure and privilege is mine ... "

He was referring to the UK because he was in the UK and speaking to his UK audience. The last part of his statement, to me, is a message to all of us. If there is no interest, there is no point - at all - anywhere.

Morrissey is moody, though, and I personally can't see this as being the end at such short notice. I would think, if he's truly considering retirement, that he'd at least have a final farewell tour of sorts. But, who knows...

That is just my thoughts on the matter.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom