TTY: THERE IS A LIGHT THAT NOW GOES OUT - final six rescheduled US dates cancelled

THERE IS A LIGHT THAT NOW GOES OUT - true-to-you.net
3 December 2016

The band, the crew and I are heartbroken to hear that the final six shows of our triumphant tour will be 'pulled down'.
The shock and sadness that we all feel - for ourselves, and for our devoted friends in Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago, Houston, Dallas and San Antonio, has left us in unrecoverable despair.

The 28 shows played on this tour have been outstanding triumphs as yet another year strengthens and solidifies our positions around the world.

Since our Bergen date at the start of August, the finances for this tour have exclusively been controlled by 360 Management of Willoughby Avenue in West Hollywood. Each date booked would make enough money to pay its way.
When Gustavo collapsed at the Boulder show, 360 Management responded with the announcement that all funds had suddenly evaporated. There was apparently not even enough money to transport the touring party to the next scheduled city, and 360 Management faded out as quickly as they had faded in.

Incontestably, the Morrissey Band is the best in the world. We have been repeatedly done over in recent years by slippery industry incompetents, yet we have always recovered our stride and bounced back like the sea - saving ourselves from those who wish us off the map. We are a disciplined ship and we succeed without any help from the music industry. We continue to live with the optical device of an industry where only scale and enormity of cash is seen as evidence of talent; where the public is thought ready to swallow anything as long as it is done with the punch of five million dollars. The results appear to be continually elaborate comic-strip dumbshows that do not even matter to those directly involved. The true artists must look after themselves whilst the artificially aroused are aided and assisted to the highest ranks without a shred of effort, and the result is ... a nest of horrors. And on it goes.

This year, the mobilized strength of our ragingly loyal audiences were most appreciated, by me, at:

1. Philadelphia, USA.
2. Brooklyn, USA.
3. Hong Kong, CHINA.
4. Adelaide, AUSTRALIA.
5. Melbourne, AUSTRALIA.
6. Santa Barbara, USA.
7. Helsinki, FINLAND.
8. Manchester, ENGLAND.
9. Goteborg, SWEDEN.
10. Chicago, USA.
11. Newcastle, AUSTRALIA.
12. Berlin, GERMANY.
13. Salt Lake City, USA.
14. Tokyo, JAPAN (first night).
15. Tel-Aviv, ISRAEL.

... for which no words could ever express the volcanic love and joy found and shared.
We felt much sadness for our audiences at both Jakarta and Singapore City who struggled with appalling venues - venues which, in fact, were not really venues at all ... just roped-off bits of waterlogged fields. In dismal circumstances our friends in both cities gave us their best, and we shall never forget them. We expect no further chances in Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, Houston, Dallas or San Antonio ... nights destroyed by the ephemeral damagers ... who do their worst ... and slip away.

I can only stress my sincere thanks once again to YOU for giving the band, the crew and I a phenomenal year - scarred at the end, but drenched in beauty until then.

I will see you in extremely far-off places.

MORRISSEY
3 December 2016.

39462_20161203_131415.jpg

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Another sorry, tour-related, state of affairs. Fans, once again, are treated badly. The praise in the statement is welcomed but why on earth has he been touring without insurance? Given past tours insurance should be an absolute and while 360 have a clear responsibility so does Morrissey. My thoughts are for all those fans who, it is hoped, will get a full refund. Morrissey. Stop whinging and take responsibility. This behaviour has been going on since The Smiths and is far from funny.
I had such high hopes when Morrissey came out and explained what happened like what a normal person would do. But then once again the wheels came off. By his own admission Morrissey knew the financing "suddenly evaporated" after Boulder but still allowed Sami to post the "rumor" and announce rescheduled dates. I can't help but wonder who would have booked tickets, flights, and hotels if they knew then what has come out today.

Thoughts on his concert ranking list?

Brooklyn representing nicely at #2.

I had wanted to do a few shows this tour, but was only able to see one. Fortunately, it was in Philly. This show was truly amazing; the energy and enthusiasm from the audience was infectious. I left the venue completely elated, and there were so many people lingering on the street joyfully discussing the show that it seems safe to say that it was a great success. So, I'm very pleased with this ranking.

I'm just a bit sad that it ended with these cancellations. It would have been better to see him end the tour triumphantly; however, I'm grateful that I have my memories of Philadelphia and I'm looking forward to seeing him again and again and again and again...

Thank you for all the videos that you dutifully post. Your contributions are greatly appreciated.

lynnda

I had such high hopes when Morrissey came out and explained what happened like what a normal person would do. But then once again the wheels came off. By his own admission Morrissey knew the financing "suddenly evaporated" after Boulder but still allowed Sami to post the "rumor" and announce rescheduled dates. I can't help but wonder who would have booked tickets, flights, and hotels if they knew then what has come out today.
Well they could just purchase tickets in a city they would like to visit and if something happens and he cancels, don't spend time crying over it, go and enjoy a mini holiday. That's what I'd do. It's risky to follow Morrissey around and by now most fans should know that. I always feel bad for those who are supposed to attend a show that gets cancelled. I've had tickets for 4 Morrissey shows that never happened. But life goes on...

Is NYE in LA this year again? I need to make plans. I am not going to Oakland. A 4 hour car ride or 45 minute plane ride is way too long a distance for me to go to see Morrissey.

Should have seen this coming when the tour ending Oakland show was supposed to take place at a venue that's been closed for two years.

You can't post something balanced and sensible like that. You'll end up becoming a hate figure for the line of Curtis, Silly Stephen, Liz Forbes Kerr and the rest of the deluded, brainwashed arseholes.

Great post, though:thumb:

I don't have to be balanced and sensible. I think KILL UNCLE is really good, for example.

Another sorry, tour-related, state of affairs. Fans, once again, are treated badly. The praise in the statement is welcomed but why on earth has he been touring without insurance? Given past tours insurance should be an absolute and while 360 have a clear responsibility so does Morrissey. My thoughts are for all those fans who, it is hoped, will get a full refund. Morrissey. Stop whinging and take responsibility. This behaviour has been going on since The Smiths and is far from funny.

i would imagine with such a history of cancellations from previous tour , any Morrissey tour would find it hard to find an insurance company to cover insurance , hence touring without insurance I imagine

What you have read in MORRISSEY's statement are lies.

Lies because Morrissey is a very rich man who has self-financed tours in the past, most notably all the tours from 1998 to 2003 - after he had no record contract - and before he signed with Sanctuary. He has stated this in interviews and said as much on the Craig Kilborn show. Morrissey had no records to promote but he found a way to tour anyway with insurance. Moreover, the release of "Years of Refusal" was totally self-produced (unlike "You Are The Quarry" and unlike "Ringleader of the Tormentors" which were produced by Sanctuary). "Years of Refusal" was not distributed by Sanctuary and it was not produced by Sanctuary which was in the process of folding, but rather it was self-produced and distributed by Lost Highway.

So, what would have happened for the shows to go on? It is simple. Morrissey would have had to fork out some cash by arranging hotel and transport and in so doing take less of a cut - and at the very least - break even. Even if he had lost money, his estimated worth is well over 10 million dollars so he could have taken the hit and done the right thing. However, it is known in the industry that if Morrissey does not make a certain amount as a fixed/flat rate - regardless of the size of the venue - he simply will not play a gig. For all his animal rights advocating, he has never played a concert and donated the proceeds to PETA or any other humane society for animals. The Smiths played a one-off benefit concert...but I digress.

Don't be fooled by this self-serving statement. It is Morrissey and Morrissey alone who had the power to continue the tour and it is Morrissey who decided not to do so. If Morrissey is not beholden to the music industry (see his statement), 360 Management cannot stop Morrissey from playing these shows. And if 360 Management stated upon Gustavo's collapse that all funds had "evaporated" - why were the dates re-scheduled?

Do not get caught in the web of words - Morrissey could continue these shows - and Morrissey is blaming, rather than taking responsibility. The words "the show must go on" have no meaning to him.

Years Of Refusal was not self produced, it was released by Polydor / Universal in the UK who he was signed to . Universal likely then licensed to Lost Highway for US release but certainly was not self produced

Not correct - 'Years of Refusal' was 'self-produced' to the extent that Morrissey paid for and owned the recording, then licensed it to different record companies to release in different worldwide territories - if you check the copyright notices for the UK versions you'll find they say 'copyright Morrissey - licensed exclusively to Decca Music Group" etc.

That light slumbers these days

He said it's out now.
Which made me feel sad.
But as other users reminded me, in light of his tendency to use epic and dramatic words, he is also known to be fighter, to never give up and to bounce back.
So I am happy now for it to be slumbering these days.
I hope he still feels the drive and the need to pick up the unfinished business, if there is as such.
Let's not forget, resentment can be a strong motivator for any artistic expression. :brows:

He said it's out now.
Which made me feel sad.
But as other users reminded me, in light of his tendency to use epic and dramatic words, he is also known to be fighter, to never give up and to bounce back.
So I am happy now for it to be slumbering these days.
I hope he still feels the drive and the need to pick up the unfinished business, if there is as such.
Let's not forget, resentment can be a strong motivator for any artistic expression. :brows:
that reminds me of a quote by pierre corneille:
the fire which seems out often sleeps beneath the cinders.

i have a quote for every occasion, did you know?! *smug*

Yes. I guessed that.
It amuses me.
And I like this one cause it seems appropriate and hopeful.
Your smugness is entertaining me, so don't withhold!

Not correct - 'Years of Refusal' was 'self-produced' to the extent that Morrissey paid for and owned the recording, then licensed it to different record companies to release in different worldwide territories - if you check the copyright notices for the UK versions you'll find they say 'copyright Morrissey - licensed exclusively to Decca Music Group" etc.

That's not right either. When Sanctuary hit the skids, Morrissey was still under contract for one album. But Sanctuary's standard contract contained a clause that copyright would revert to the artist and not be passed on. So UMG (Decca/Polydor) inherited Morrissey on that basis. They owned the distribution rights for the next album, but not the copyright. They still financed and supervised it, so it wasn't a DIY job.

Separately, Morrissey got his lawyers to release him from his US contract because he wasn't happy with UMG's promotion of Greatest Hits. Not sure how they did this, but they did. Which is why YOR came out on Lost Highway in the states. It wasn't a case of Morrissey hawking it around to different labels in different territories - UMG owned the distribution except in the States.

By the way, do you appreciate his paintings? I mean Corneille.
Or is that another one?
I went to the Cobra museum in Amstelveen, close to Amsterdam, a couple of years ago and they had quite a collection of his paintings.
And of all the other members of the Cobra group too of course.

In my days of a young artstudent I was influenced by them a lot.
My teacher at the academy knew them and invited Karel Appel once to give a lecture. That was f***ing great!

I like all art from Cobra but was most impressed by Karel Appel.
Later I found out about many other painters from different directions and appreciating them as well, but there still is a soft spot for Cobra and the intentions and what they did.
Kind of punkrock in art history!
Cheers Rifke

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom