TTY: Universal Music - response to denial

An anonymous person posts the link:

Universal Music - true-to-you.net
25 November 2015

Universal Music (London) have denied refusing to re-issue Morrissey's I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris in support of the victims of the recent Paris atrocities.
Morrissey is in possession of a letter from John Reid at Russells (London) in which it is clearly stated that David Joseph of Universal Music (London) has no interest in re-issuing I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris, but has instead planned his own tribute to the Paris victims for December which will only involve current Universal bands.
Universal Music has claimed to be "hurt" by the suggestion that such a letter exists.
The letter can be freely made available to anyone who wishes to read it.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Universal Music

25 November 2015

Universal Music

Universal Music (London) have denied refusing to re-issue Morrissey's I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris in support of the victims of the recent Paris atrocities.
Morrissey is in possession of a letter from John Reid at Russells (London) in which it is clearly stated that David Joseph of Universal Music (London) has no interest in re-issuing I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris, but has instead planned his own tribute to the Paris victims for December which will only involve current Universal bands.
Universal Music has claimed to be "hurt" by the suggestion that such a letter exists.

24 November 2015
***************************************************************************************************************************
I want to see it. Maybe he'll do a Shia Labeouf event and sit in a room with you while you read the letter. Maybe Jesse is in the basement practicing John Reid;s signature and forging a letterhead from Russells right now. Julia, too. But her handwriting is too spidery and Morrissey is just amusing himself saying, "That's closer,try another fifty."

Universal Music

25 November 2015

Universal Music

24 November 2015
***************************************************************************************************************************
I want to see it. Maybe he'll do a Shia Labeouf event and sit in a room with you while you read the letter. Maybe Jesse is in the basement practicing John Reid;s signature and forging a letterhead from Russells right now. Julia, too. But her handwriting is too spidery and Morrissey is just amusing himself saying, "That's closer,try another fifty."

More like he just checked Universal on their bullshit.

Why doesn't he just publish the letter on TTY?

Anyway, all this dirty laundry in public gets no-one anywhere. Even if Moz & Universal come to terms, unless it's an instant digital only release, it will take so long for anything to come out it will be effectively pointless as it will only sell a few hundred copies.

If the letter really does it exist, why didn't Morrissey just publish it online right away instead of claiming 'it's available to anyone who wishes to read it'? Does he need more time to forge it?

The following telephone call has made in the last 24 hours from a 5 star hotel room in South America:

"Hello Jesse, its Damon. DAMON, Morrissey's... er, friend.

Listen Morrissey has lost the piece of paper with the band's T shirt measurements on it. Can you contact the rest of them and get back to Morrissey with the sizes. Thank you. Whats he getting printed on the T Shirts? NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!" (hangs up).

If the letter really does it exist, why didn't Morrissey just publish it online right away instead of claiming 'it's available to anyone who wishes to read it'? Does he need more time to forge it?

Are you stupid or what? These are letters from a solicitor. You can't just publish them for the whole world to see but certain crappy news websites could look at them for evidence before they produce their news.

He said she said he said. This is what happens when you post hateful remarks on your own website. What chance will Moz ever have of getting a record deal if he always slags the companies off. Why would they touch him? As much as I want a new Moz album I have to wonder at his tactics or lack of tact. He causes so much trouble for himself without gaining anything. He can't win by posting stuff like this. Every war for him seems to be a war of attrition offering a pyrrhic victory at best. His energy is best served elsewhere.

He said she said he said. This is what happens when you post hateful remarks on your own website. What chance will Moz ever have of getting a record deal if he always slags the companies off. Why would they touch him? As much as I want a new Moz album I have to wonder at his tactics or lack of tact. He causes so much trouble for himself without gaining anything. He can't win by posting stuff like this. Every war for him seems to be a war of attrition offering a pyrrhic victory at best. His energy is best served elsewhere.

'neath the façade he is a dumb daft c***.

I want to read it - how do I obtain it?

The record execs need a kick in the ass sometimes for a reality check. They are too full of themselves. Morrissey isn't a weasal and isn't afraid of much, he doesn't have a choice though really? Who is going to suppoet him?

It is true that even if he wins, he loses. It still looks like he's making it about himself, and it still makes any record executives see him as a loose cannon.

This was my thought... if it's so clear just publish the letter, a quick scan and upload and you're done.

He would know that lots of people want to read it.

Do we email to true-to-you to request a copy, if we want to read it?

I just found this site via a news article on the Paris business (which I'm deeply saddened and still shocked by). I'd like to read this letter too, but I don't think it really exists does it? I've not met Morrissey, but having done some background on him, he doesn't come across as the most honourable man in the world. However I have met David Joseph and many others at Universal Music, and I can tell you, they are OK and a fair bunch of people trying to do there job in trying times.
Publish or be damned Mr Morrissey, simple. Labels do it everyday.
MVITA

"The letter can be freely made available to anyone who wishes to read it."

What an odd thing to say. Publish it, (and be damned) Morrissey.

Why would Universal want to re-release a song which is currently available? Is Morrissey saying he wanted a physical release or additional promotion of the digital download?

Knowing Morrissey's previously stated views on terror attacks - essentially that they are useful for self-promotion - he'd seem a strange choice as someone to approach to commemorate the Paris murders. On the face of it it's rather cynical shroud waving on his part. He loathes people. He doesn't make a secret of it. Choose him for a Bond theme, or Eurovision for the sheer fun, but a charity single by one of the least charitable human beings on the face of the earth? It'd be like asking Ian Watkins to record an album of lullabies.

There will be another attack in London soon. Police raided a house about fifteen minutes away from me a few months ago and arrested a husband and wife who had allegedly been plotting to attack the Underground. They were practicing their explosive concoctions in their back garden, believe it or not. They are standing trial at the Old Bailey now.

I suggest Morrissey starts hawking his portfolio around the labels beforehand if he's now suddenly filled with the milk of human kindness.

Do we email to true-to-you to request a copy, if we want to read it?

Guess so, except it won't probably be not given out to us Joe/Jane Publics but music media such as Pitchfork, if they ask for it.

Update: wait, I see Pitchfork have updated their article to include this answer from Morrissey. No indication whether they've requested a copy of the letter.

Last edited:
More like he just checked Universal on their bullshit.

You have what is called faith. Faith can lead you to go on a killing spree and then blow yourself up cos you believe you are going to a free flowing meaty beaty big and bouncy harem in the sky. The only thing that goes in the sky are bits of your scrotum when you explode into oblivion. Are you 100% sure this letter exists? Would you bet your anonymous bollocks on it? Having second thoughts are you?

OOOOOH YEAH ! :lbf:

UNIVERSAL YOU CAN KISS MY SHADES !

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom