"Twilight of the Idol" - The Village Voice - April 2, 1991

Well that article was a bit premature, especially given the events the year after it was written.

Hilarious given what fallowed. Here we are over twenty five years later and his albums still chart well. The stone roses however turned out to be a very short blip (although the debut is still amazing today) of a trend that didn't age very well and would be supplanted by Brit pop (a genre that drew heavily from morrissey) a year after this article was written. He's been written off so many times though only to prove everyone wrong. People might not like him his persona or what does in his private life, at least some don't, but his music is still ranks even today

Hilarious given what fallowed. Here we are over twenty five years later and his albums still chart well. The stone roses however turned out to be a very short blip (although the debut is still amazing today) of a trend that didn't age very well and would be supplanted by Brit pop (a genre that drew heavily from morrissey) a year after this article was written. He's been written off so many times though only to prove everyone wrong. People might not like him his persona or what does in his private life, at least some don't, but his music is still ranks even today

One 's' too many.

One 's' too many.

Can't help imaging you as a former pupil who, through some unlikely twist of fate, is ending his days as caretaker at his old high school. You hate the kids; the kids hate you. Although you used to think your schooldays were the best of your life, you're now doubting the veracity of those supposedly fond memories.

Your mobile phone trills.

It's the deputy head.

Some little bastard's just thrown-up outside the chemistry lab.

Sighing, you grab your shovel and a bucket of sawdust.

There are much worse faults than misspellings

Why didn't you conclude that sentence with a period after "misspellings?" :)
Just kidding you countthree.
But sometimes I feel some sympathy for the spelling nazis. :squiffy:
If everybody just write the f*** whatever they want, books and any kind of text becomes completely unclear and incomprehensible.
Not a great forecast for any writer with some literary ambition or even journalists for the world at large waiting for their wisdom.

Why didn't you conclude that sentence with a period after "misspellings?" :)
Just kidding you countthree.
But sometimes I feel some sympathy for the spelling nazis. :squiffy:
If everybody just write the f*** whatever they want, books and any kind of text becomes completely unclear and incomprehensible.
Not a great forecast for any writer with some literary ambition or even journalists for the world at large waiting for their wisdom.

LOL Maybe because I'm not perfect and I don't like to disguise my imperfections using perfect grammar. It's better to face a misspelling than a missing soul.

Talking about reactionaries... common people's pain should never be the currency used to pay revolutionary dreams. That's my humble opinion uncleskinny.

LOL Maybe because I'm not perfect and I don't like to disguise my imperfections using perfect grammar. It's better to face a misspelling than a missing soul.

Talking about reactionaries... common people's pain should never be the currency used to pay revolutionary dreams. That's my humble opinion uncleskinny.

Nobody can expect you to be perfect of course, or any one else, for that matter. But I do believe you know the difference between striving for perfection or at least having the ambition to make it as good as you possibly can,
and just hiding your imperfections. I don't think you are hiding your imperfections and that is good IMHO!

"Talking about reactionaries?" Eh, I am afraid I don't see the connection with the subject of using grammar and spelling as good as is possible. Am i missing something here?
Would you enlighten me?

Is common peoples pain caused by not so common peoples use of proper grammar and spelling?
I'd say that if there is any pain at all for common people it is because there was a lack of good education or simply the inability to learn grammar, spelling and interpunction.

Maybe you could say it is reactionary of me to not have that much faith in revolutionary dreams.
If history itself has to teach us a lesson then it can be said most revolutions caused as much damage and suffering to humanity as the system that was destroyed. Or even more.

Starting with the French revolution when 100.000 of peasants in the Voguezes were murdered, innocent men, women, children. Many of them were being drowned on ships loaded with stones.
In Europe you could say it was the first genocide.
It was only a footnote in history compared to what happened in Russia after their revolution.

Millions of innocent people were murdered, starved to death by taken away their harvest and let them die of hunger. All for the best reasons, of course. Collateral damage! Isn't that what the powers that be always say?
And, was what happened in Germany, after WW1 not a revolution?

And don't mix me up with uncleskinny or I am gonna consider that as a compliment!
With respect though! :thumb:

Well I'm ok but thanks for the defense. I'm just crap at typing on this phone and dont care that much about these posts. Not enough to worry about hitting extra keys for commas or periods or to take the time to try and spell or edit well. I just don't care and think it a waste of time in this setting. I was gonna say is still charting but didn't want to use the word chart again so changed it quickly to ranks. Obviously to quickly but whatever if people can still get the gist. For what it worth I thought the joke clever enough. It wasn't even really a criticism of the grammar as it was of morrisseys albums

í get a queer thrill when í can swoon at the suavity of someones words, whilst fundamentally disagreeing with, by-and-large, every point that they make.
í don't agree with Reynolds about "Kill Uncle"... :o... {hell, even SPM would side with Simon now on that album...}, or maybe í just have fonder memories of 'wilting inertia'. Or blissful sterility. Or dying aspidistras.
But, boy, that boy can write nice.
Not that long ago í had cause to read the interview that Reynold's conducted with Morrissey for the 'Melody Maker' circa "Viva Hate" ~ it's in his good book 'blissed out' ~ and to go from that (hero worship doesn't even cut it) to this in just three years is quite the thing.

Nobody can expect you to be perfect of course, or any one else, for that matter. But I do believe you know the difference between striving for perfection or at least having the ambition to make it as good as you possibly can,
and just hiding your imperfections. I don't think you are hiding your imperfections and that is good IMHO!

"Talking about reactionaries?" Eh, I am afraid I don't see the connection with the subject of using grammar and spelling as good as is possible. Am i missing something here?
Would you enlighten me?

Is common peoples pain caused by not so common peoples use of proper grammar and spelling?
I'd say that if there is any pain at all for common people it is because there was a lack of good education or simply the inability to learn grammar, spelling and interpunction.

Maybe you could say it is reactionary of me to not have that much faith in revolutionary dreams.
If history itself has to teach us a lesson then it can be said most revolutions caused as much damage and suffering to humanity as the system that was destroyed. Or even more.

Starting with the French revolution when 100.000 of peasants in the Voguezes were murdered, innocent men, women, children. Many of them were being drowned on ships loaded with stones.
In Europe you could say it was the first genocide.
It was only a footnote in history compared to what happened in Russia after their revolution.

Millions of innocent people were murdered, starved to death by taken away their harvest and let them die of hunger. All for the best reasons, of course. Collateral damage! Isn't that what the powers that be always say?
And, was what happened in Germany, after WW1 not a revolution?

And don't mix me up with uncleskinny or I am gonna consider that as a compliment!
With respect though! :thumb:

Lovely words Quando. But sometimes a missing period is a statement. I know the difference, but I don't have the ambition of hiding imperfections. Believe me because I'm serious about it: lack of ambition is my best quality. Imagine which are the worst :lbf:

The best way to show you aren't good enough is trying to be good and failing. But the worst happens when you are good and others notice it. Then, you are doomed because you lose yourself. You are not yours anymore and nothing will compensate that loss. No matter how good you are, mediocrity is always the wisest path. The future belongs to mediocrity. It's easier to become good, it's complicated to survive when you want to come back to mediocrity, that is, the wisest path. Most of times your ego won't let you and it may kill you. I've seen it.

I agree with you about revolutions, that's why I think people who deny obvious social evolution (being that good or bad, that's not the question here) are the first to be blamed for the revolution other people make to change a statu quo. Both groups are equally responsible for the pain that process causes to the victims, most of them innocent and defenseless people. Human pain is always an association of evils.

Tags
article kill uncle morrissey moz
Back
Top Bottom