UK charts - "Low In High School" #95 fifth week, "Jacky's..." #1 vinyl second week

The easier way of describing things is : Jesse Tobias joined the band and everything collapsed and went into the toilet.

In 1986 I listened to two cassettes in my car stereo. One had The Descendents 'Milo Goes to College' and the Bonus Fat 'EP' and the other had The Descendents 'I Don't Want to Grow Up' lp.

A female friend of mine named Abra gave me 'The Queen is Dead" on cassette and I became a huge fan. 'The
Queen is Dead' appealed to my punk rock side and 'Frankly Mr. Shankly' appealed to my LOVE of the Beatles.

I immediately DOVE into the back catalog and became a giant fan to where I annoyed all my friends trying to turn them onto The Smiths. I have a pretty sweet vinyl collection of 7" and 12" I should get rid of...

Through The Smiths I ended up learning about The Sundays, The Cranberries, Raymonde, James (my fave), Bradford, etc.

If a religion should exist, it would be based upon the music Morrissey created with Stephen Street. Stephen Street has a knack with writing a pop song as well as bringing out the best of Morrissey. Morrissey's loss of that friendship and collaborator sucks.

Then Alain Whyte came in and saved 'Your Uncle' from inferior production (not Stephen Street I might add).

The Lads made Morrissey relevant again with the Live at KROQ and Your Arsenal cementing Alain's importance in Morrissey's career.

Mozbra wonders how people like me can exist...

I was late and missed The Smiths as a live thing. They played in my area on my birthday and I had no idea who they were. All the wrong people at my high school had on The Smiths shirts the next week at school.

So, how can people like me exist?

Morrissey WAS more than a voice. Back then he was a symbol as a more intelligent idea you could ascribe to.

Being celibate was unheard of. Not eating meat was still pretty taboo. Morrissey wore these proudly as a patch on his jacket.

Morrissey's last 3 albums suck, and not all his solo work is even good..

Us people exist. Moz's last 3 albums are a disappointment. I get the 'let's make Moz a novelty act like Frank Sinatra' but f*** that. Make good albums with a great band.

LIHS is f***ing fantastic!

hear hear ! :thumb:

sitting here cozy with the Ketamine clan, x-mass tree a twinkling and gifts unwrapped followed by oohs and ahhs of surprise and happiness, all of us roasting vegan marshmallows on the fire and listening to LIHS very loud as the small children dancing around, how they love it! and I'm sure their children will love it too ! As long as this world keeps spinning, Morrissey will be with us for ETERNITY ! :rock:

and LIHS will one day be looked upon as one of his best works !

Oh DavidK ! you even 'dislike' me on christmas day ?! think of baby jesus ! :fearscream:

Last edited:
yes. ;)

REGARDLESS OF CHART POSITIONS,

LIHS IS THE BEST ALBUM OF 2017,

HANDS DOWN ! :rock::thumb:

I suppose that could be true if LIHS was the only new album you heard in 2017. But if you listened to new albums by Future Islands, The National, Washed Out or St. Vincent it might not hold up so well.

In 1986 I listened to two cassettes in my car stereo. One had The Descendents 'Milo Goes to College' and the Bonus Fat 'EP' and the other had The Descendents 'I Don't Want to Grow Up' lp.

A female friend of mine named Abra gave me 'The Queen is Dead" on cassette and I became a huge fan. 'The
Queen is Dead' appealed to my punk rock side and 'Frankly Mr. Shankly' appealed to my LOVE of the Beatles.

I immediately DOVE into the back catalog and became a giant fan to where I annoyed all my friends trying to turn them onto The Smiths. I have a pretty sweet vinyl collection of 7" and 12" I should get rid of...

Through The Smiths I ended up learning about The Sundays, The Cranberries, Raymonde, James (my fave), Bradford, etc.

If a religion should exist, it would be based upon the music Morrissey created with Stephen Street. Stephen Street has a knack with writing a pop song as well as bringing out the best of Morrissey. Morrissey's loss of that friendship and collaborator sucks.

Then Alain Whyte came in and saved 'Your Uncle' from inferior production (not Stephen Street I might add).

The Lads made Morrissey relevant again with the Live at KROQ and Your Arsenal cementing Alain's importance in Morrissey's career.

I was late and missed The Smiths as a live thing. They played in my area on my birthday and I had no idea who they were. All the wrong people at my high school had on The Smiths shirts the next week at school.

Morrissey WAS more than a voice. Back then he was a symbol as a more intelligent idea you could ascribe to.

Being celibate was unheard of. Not eating meat was still pretty taboo. Morrissey wore these proudly as a patch on his jacket.

Us people exist. Moz's last 3 albums are a disappointment. I get the 'let's make Moz a novelty act like Frank Sinatra' but f*** that. Make good albums with a great band.
Moz's last two albums were ace and better than recent albums from most artists. His voice is better than ever. How can you call 'Home is a question mark' a disappointment?

Happy Christmas and Bah Humbug!
From: the ghost of Christmas past (hung by his pretty white neck).

Well Yea, surprises me its sold any copies with the reviews its had, people should listen to it with an open mind and not let the press or the terminally Mozzer obsessed on here decide for them.
I think the kind of people who let reviews impact what they listen to are the kind of nitwits that probably wouldn't bother with the album anyway. These days you can listen to everything for free and THEN decide if you want to buy it. Bad reviews are no excuse for laziness in so called 'fans'.
The people here who say that absolutely everything Moz has done since The Smiths is crap are no longer fans and don't belong here. Maybe that could be their new years resolution, which they won't keep.

I suppose that could be true if LIHS was the only new album you heard in 2017. But if you listened to new albums by Future Islands, The National, Washed Out or St. Vincent it might not hold up so well.

Sleep Well Beast is an incredible album, in my top 10 of all time from a personal perspective.

LIHS is an ok album with some good tracks - and the highest chart position of 5 in the UK felt about right. I'm sure the car crash of Der Spiegel had some effect - but musically the album is just not consistently good enough to chart higher. And Moz's views are just too against the grain of mainstream opinion to ever be anything other than career poison...
Morrissey is always against the grain.

f*** the grain. That should've been the title of his new album.

Last edited:

no need to attack me ! it's x-mass for Christs sake !

;)kidding.

yeah it's subjective, I was posting my opinion. Been listening to and making music a long time, my tastes are particular. F Islands ( interesting voice) but that's not enough. Those bands/artists you listed couldn't even begin to write something as time worthy as LIHS, they are merely dust to the wind ! already forgotten. Most just sound like a hodgepodge of what's already been done, that's fine for the kiddies they just don't know better.

To take influences and really do something new with it is a rare thing indeed.

DavidK knows what I'm taking about, and totally agrees. :thumb:

Last edited:

Preach it brother, he hasn’t made a decent album in over a decade.

Well Yea, surprises me its sold any copies with the reviews its had, people should listen to it with an open mind and not let the press or the terminally Mozzer obsessed on here decide for them.

I did go into it with an open mind even with the bad reviews and the were right the album sucks.

no need to attack me ! it's x-mass for Christs sake !

;)kidding.

yeah it's subjective, I was posting my opinion. Been listening to and making music a long time, my tastes are particular. F Islands ( interesting voice) but that's not enough. Those bands/artists you listed couldn't even begin to write something as time worthy as LIHS, they are merely dust to the wind ! already forgotten. Most just sound like a hodgepodge of what's already been done, that's fine for the kiddies they just don't know better.

To take influences and really do something new with it is a rare thing indeed.

DavidK knows what I'm taking about, and totally agrees. :thumb:

“Most just sound like a hodgepodge of what's already been done, that's fine for the kiddies they just don't know better.”

“To take influences and really do something new with it is a rare thing indeed.”

^^THIS^^
Is what it’s all about!!

Thanks again Ket for trying to explain it although even if people would understand it, I am not sure it would change their opinion.
:thumb: :rolleyes:

A big sales drop off is standard for any album that doesn’t capture the moment and build its own momentum, isn’t it?

U2 had a free hour long advert on prime time BBC1 last week to promote their new album and I’ve seen little indication so far it has delighted a waiting world, or that it will dominate the charts in the coming weeks and months.

LIHS has, in my opinion, five decent songs, which is usually indicative of a good album by anybody. I think overall it is better than YoR, Ringleader and WP.

If Morrissey harboured hopes it would remain at number one for the foreseeable future and sell by the bushel he was deluding himself.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom