vegetarian trying to go vegan please help

bagface

i guess this switch was inevitable and i feel like i can't put it off any longer...the only problem is i'm a really picky eater and most of what i eat now has dairy in it..mac and cheese, grilled cheese, milk and cereal, etc. i'm assuming there's a lot of other more subtle stuff i'll have to give up as well. i think it'd be better to ease into it, cutting out more and more as i go along. any recommendations on how i can do this or things i can eat? thanks :)

Re: vegetarian trying to go vegan...please help

I've heard of non-dairy cheeses. Though that was through a post on another forum and I never checked up on it so I can't comment on how liable it is. Look into it though.

i guess this switch was inevitable and i feel like i can't put it off any longer...the only problem is i'm a really picky eater and most of what i eat now has dairy in it..mac and cheese, grilled cheese, milk and cereal, etc. i'm assuming there's a lot of other more subtle stuff i'll have to give up as well. i think it'd be better to ease into it, cutting out more and more as i go along. any recommendations on how i can do this or things i can eat? thanks :)

Most vegan cheeses aren't good. But there are a few that are really nice.

There is a new vegan cheese, which is by far the best, called Daiya.

Check their website www.daiyafoods.com to see if it's available where you live.

Oh, and I'm a big fan of the Raw Vegan cuisine. It's a whole different type of cooking. Tends to be a bit expensive and sophisticated (like me), and a bit hard to find.

I've been to some raw vegan restaurants in NYC, LA, Vegas and Boston... they were all great.

It's really hard to prepare and find the ingredients, so I find it nearly impossible to do this stuff at home, but I'd suggest you try it sometime at a restaurant.

2 of my favorites:
http://grezzorestaurant.com/boston
http://www.oneluckyduck.com/purefoodandwine

Vegan ice cream is delicious. I never liked the cheese. Soy milk and rice milk are yummy too.

...but none of it was yummy enough to make me stay a vegan.

You should try Daiya. I love it.
And no, I'm not a stockholder ;)

Some of the best Pizza I've had recently was with Daiya ;)

bagface, i dont think you are a picky eater, just a young male vegetarian.;)

if you want to keep the listed 'junk food-ish' diet you've listed(which i am a fan of), you can substitute vegan stuff for all that.

milks- soy, rice, hemp, nut...whatever you fancy

cheese- daiya, tofutti, and follow your heart, mac n chreese

etc, etc, etc

feel free to pm me any questions or whateves. i can show you the dark side of chemically vegan junk food(cookies!!!) like i showed flax.:lbf:

I've been vegan for 18 years (and i get the B12 deficiency injections to prove it- although i started getting them at school after 7 or so years of vegetarianism! Hmm).... anyway, i think the only way to do it is to KNOW that you are just not allowed certain foods/clothes/consumables - just to know that they're okay for others but wrong for YOU!

What worked for me was to go for a complete makeover on diet - don't do the alternatives, although the Swedish Glace and Tofutti ice cream and tofutti/provamel cream are great, you'll probably miss the old stuff.

I eat pasta/rice/lentils/cous cous with tomatoes/courgette/onion/sundried tomato puree practically every day... with a soft spot for Bombay Bad Boy pot noodles when studying!

Be careful of weight loss - my weight plummeted to 7st on first being vegan. it took a few years to raise, but now i'm quite fat on fine cuisine!

PETA send out great recipes by email and their web site is helpful. There's even ipod applications to find the nearest vegan restaurant.

It's no longer a challenge for me.. and i've lived with an unrepentant carnivore for 18 years ... so once you're over the first hurdle of mind over belly, i'm sure you'll be okay. Don't give up if you give in once in a while - just feel guilty for it and forgive yourself (if you can).

I wish you all the luck in the world. If you ever come to Glasgow, we have great vegan pubs, so check them out (Stereo, Mono, The 78, The Flying Duck and 13th note).

Email me if you want recipes as i've loads.

Good luck

Wendy

PS: It has been my experience that folk will ultimately take the piss and ask you why you've gone vegan - merely whispering it makes people mock and insinuate that you're 'political'. So be prepared for some stick!

thanks for all the help guys. glad i can rely on this forum to be so kind (sometimes). i got some almond milk at the co-op the other day and HOLY SMOKES it's actually really good. i recommend trying it if you haven't. only problem is it's quite a bit more expensive.

I love almond milk, yes it can be pricy. I'll look for that cheese sometime. So far my diet is about 70% vegan. I'm working on it. It's been a little hard but that's my goal for the year.

I've never heard of this before, thanks for posting it! Unfortunately it's not available where I live, but perhaps it can be bought from the website.

We need a thread about a vegan who is trying to become a carnivore. :thumb:

I've never heard of this before, thanks for posting it! Unfortunately it's not available where I live, but perhaps it can be bought from the website.

I don't know if they sell it online, but that list of places where you can find it has been increasing quite a bit, so maybe it will be available in your area soon.

Back
Top Bottom