Veggie thread trilogy 1 - Do meat-flavoured products mean you're cheating?

Re: Veggie trilogy 3 - meat is the same as the holocaust....

No we do not endorse murder. Some of us, such as myself, look at meat products simply as food, plain and simple. My moral compass is not yours. I shrug and look at a live cow that was born, raised and bred for food as my future dinner.

Well wow, your moral compass definitely isn't mine. Sorry to say this, but seeing a living creature only as a food for you, especially nowadays when there are so many other alternatives, sounds a bit psychopatic, uncompassionate. And btw eating meat you give your money to an institute that supports murder. I understand we can't be saints, I still have my faults, but I do as much as I can. I just think it's unfeeling and thoughtless to claim there's no harm done to these animals when they arrive onto your plate.. and it does matter, it's not only food!

I became a vegetarian when I moved in with my luv only 5 years ago. I couldn't be happier, or more shamefaced I didn't do this earlier, for it was so easy! Now I try to live as a vegan. It is hard sometimes when I really crave for ready pastry etc. But I think my cravings are secondary things really.
I personally can't eat those products that taste like meat tho. For me it feels like cheating. I don't like meat nor the idea of meat so why would I want anything that says it tastes like it.. I have also a hard time with these faux ham/faux meat things, the idea is just too sickening. But I don't mind people eating them if it makes them happy :rolleyes: I just love my tofu

I never crave meat, and, in fact, I never have. When I stopped eating meat, I stopped cold turkey, and it worked. As I said, meat now makes me physically ill.

Me too. The smell of it makes me want to barf. I never noticed before the iron like odour of blood and rot. I suppose it's the same as when smokers quite and then notice how chemical and sour it smells after wards and get sensitive and sick to it.

I can see why people do think that way, and its usually the sort of thing they say once they know theyve lost the anti vegetarianism argument with you.. (but would never admit to as much)

but i dont think its CHEATING at all, whats to cheat? were only cheating an innocent animal out of a painful lingering death, and thats a good thing right?

I do use 'meat substitutes' like quorn, I do feel slightly uncomfrotable with the fact that the 'faux' stuff is still called 'sausages and 'bacon' etc, because it reminds me off the horridness of the actual meat stuff.. but what else can it be called? sausages are sausaged because of their shape not what goes into them.. its very hard. :confused:

I do however hate quorn and cauldron food sausages, because they are so like the meat versions it uspets me greatly, (the last time i had them i sat and cried whilst i tried to eat it, because i was CONVINCED i was eating flesh, when i knew full well that i wasnt, i just couldnt convince myself, so i avoid them now :rolleyes:) but thats good because it'll encourage those flesh eaters brave or intelligent enough to try them to keep on buying them instead of flesh.. (one can hope.)

im proud to say ive NEVER stepped in to a mcdonalds! this world would be a much better place if every one were veggie........... maybe in the next world!!

i must add it wasnt just the smiths that made me go veg, i worked in a frozen meat packing plant for 2 years, the things i saw in there put me off for life!! if only camera phones had been around in the 80's!!

Well wow, your moral compass definitely isn't mine. Sorry to say this, but seeing a living creature only as a food for you, especially nowadays when there are so many other alternatives, sounds a bit psychopatic, uncompassionate. And btw eating meat you give your money to an institute that supports murder. I understand we can't be saints, I still have my faults, but I do as much as I can. I just think it's unfeeling and thoughtless to claim there's no harm done to these animals when they arrive onto your plate.. and it does matter, it's not only food!

I became a vegetarian when I moved in with my luv only 5 years ago. I couldn't be happier, or more shamefaced I didn't do this earlier, for it was so easy! Now I try to live as a vegan. It is hard sometimes when I really crave for ready pastry etc. But I think my cravings are secondary things really.
I personally can't eat those products that taste like meat tho. For me it feels like cheating. I don't like meat nor the idea of meat so why would I want anything that says it tastes like it.. I have also a hard time with these faux ham/faux meat things, the idea is just too sickening. But I don't mind people eating them if it makes them happy :rolleyes: I just love my tofu

Thing is... I do not nor have I ever considered it "murder" so that entire post does not really do much to change anything. Sorry - but I disagree with you.

im proud to say ive NEVER stepped in to a mcdonalds! this world would be a much better place if every one were veggie........... maybe in the next world!!

i must add it wasnt just the smiths that made me go veg, i worked in a frozen meat packing plant for 2 years, the things i saw in there put me off for life!! if only camera phones had been around in the 80's!!

Since we are on the topic of what would make the world a better place... I have a long list of "improvements" that would assist in your efforts to improve this planet.

:rolleyes:

me neither, or a burger king/kfc anywhere that sells mainly meat.

as a teenager i used to be dragged along by my friends, who would insist on going to mcdonalds, i used to refuse to even set foot in the place, i would cross the road and wait for them on the other side, rather than even stand anywhere near a centre of murder like that. they thought i was mad, but i didnt flaming care, and if they ever brought the food out of the place i would go off in a strop.
now i cant even sit in a room where someone is consuming flesh... it makes me so f***ing sick and angry. :mad:
(used to have a friend who was a meat eater, and he came to stay with us, he KNEW the rule about no flesh in my house, we went for chips one night, he ordered a meat pie with his, when we got back to the house, i shut the door in his face, when he asked me why i woudlnt let him in, i told him he had broken the rule not to bring flesh into my house, so he could stay outside and eat it! he then had the cheek to ask for some cutlery!! which he didnt get! silly silly boy, he never did it again, but its irrelevant because im no longer friends with him anyhow.. :lbf:)

unfortunatly my step son is a carnivor, at 13 he has no idea whether hes eating fish or chicken unless its from mcd's!! wtf is going on in this world? im sure hes not alone!kids are being dragged up on fast food, not knowing wot or where it comes from! my daughter,9, is veggie from birth, she understands what meat is, and why we dont eat it, ive asked her if she wants to eat meat and she says 'why would i?

I never crave meat, and, in fact, I never have. When I stopped eating meat, I stopped cold turkey, and it worked. As I said, meat now makes me physically ill.

How long have you been a vegetarian? That might be part of the cravings you experience, if you haven't been on a veggie diet for very long.

Well, not long at all, I s'pose- three years off red meat (I stopped for Lent and then realised that if I could live without red meat, there was no excuse at all to keep eating it) and abouuuut...one and a half/two with no meat or meat extracts whatsoever (though I only really crave red meat). Not very impressive compared with life-long vegetarians, but still... :o I don't know. I feel physically ill when presented with the reality of meat, where it comes from and the way animals die, but the smell and the (memory of the) taste appeal to me. Just my tastebuds, really. I think if I actually ate it, I might get sick.

unfortunatly my step son is a carnivor, at 13 he has no idea whether hes eating fish or chicken unless its from mcd's!! wtf is going on in this world? im sure hes not alone!kids are being dragged up on fast food, not knowing wot or where it comes from! my daughter,9, is veggie from birth, she understands what meat is, and why we dont eat it, ive asked her if she wants to eat meat and she says 'why would i?

oh gosh, your child sounds fab :thumb:

A friend of mine acquired a chicken as a pet, it escaped once or twice and was later found being petted by some local children, when he went to fetch it, most fo the children were asking him what it was!!! he was aghast! and then took great delight in asking how many of them liked chicken nuggets etc, then told them all that it was a chicken and thats where the nuggets come from, and that they dont give them voluntarily.
hopefully it made just one of those children stop to think for more than a millisecond. :rolleyes:
ha.

I think I argued this to death with Helen Bach a while ago. I don't eat meat, because (a) I've never liked it (b) the way meat gets to our tables, through mass industry, is a disgrace. However, I would never force my opinions or beliefs on anyone else, my children included. I don't deny them anything - they have the full gamut at their disposal, and it's not my place to tell them what to eat and what not to eat. They will grow up and make up their own minds.

Peter

I think I argued this to death with Helen Bach a while ago. I don't eat meat, because (a) I've never liked it (b) the way meat gets to our tables, through mass industry, is a disgrace. However, I would never force my opinions or beliefs on anyone else, my children included. I don't deny them anything - they have the full gamut at their disposal, and it's not my place to tell them what to eat and what not to eat. They will grow up and make up their own minds.

Peter

And that is why you have the universal respect of most everyone around these parts.

Well, not long at all, I s'pose- three years off red meat (I stopped for Lent and then realised that if I could live without red meat, there was no excuse at all to keep eating it) and abouuuut...one and a half/two with no meat or meat extracts whatsoever (though I only really crave red meat). Not very impressive compared with life-long vegetarians, but still... :o I don't know. I feel physically ill when presented with the reality of meat, where it comes from and the way animals die, but the smell and the (memory of the) taste appeal to me. Just my tastebuds, really. I think if I actually ate it, I might get sick.

it doesnt matter how long, so long as you mean it, for life, everyone has to start somewhere, it all helps. i read somewhere that the average flesh eater eats 140 animals in their lifetime! gross!

Thing is... I do not nor have I ever considered it "murder" so that entire post does not really do much to change anything. Sorry - but I disagree with you.

you think a cow just wants to die for you then?

oh gosh, your child sounds fab :thumb:

A friend of mine acquired a chicken as a pet, it escaped once or twice and was later found being petted by some local children, when he went to fetch it, most fo the children were asking him what it was!!! he was aghast! and then took great delight in asking how many of them liked chicken nuggets etc, then told them all that it was a chicken and thats where the nuggets come from, and that they dont give them voluntarily.
hopefully it made just one of those children stop to think for more than a millisecond. :rolleyes:
ha.

thankyou, she is fairly fab i must admit, she has the choice when shes older, i wont deny her of that, but i hope ive explained well enough for her to stay meat free, and i do believe she will. she has peta stickers on her school lunch box!! her friends ask about them, she tells them, 'i dont eat dead animals'. http://cf.morrissey-solo.com/forums/images/smilies/thumb.gif

Tags
animals = food i<3tubesteak meat = cancer meat = shit meat is murder meat isnt murdr re-run
Back
Top Bottom