Veggie thread trilogy 1 - Do meat-flavoured products mean you're cheating?

I think I argued this to death with Helen Bach a while ago. I don't eat meat, because (a) I've never liked it (b) the way meat gets to our tables, through mass industry, is a disgrace. However, I would never force my opinions or beliefs on anyone else, my children included. I don't deny them anything - they have the full gamut at their disposal, and it's not my place to tell them what to eat and what not to eat. They will grow up and make up their own minds.

Peter

Indeed...

Re: Veggie trilogy 3 - meat is the same as the holocaust....

you think a cow just wants to die for you then?

Or a carrot? OK, I'm being flippant. The thing is, I believe in a wider humanity that values life. I have absolutely no problem with people eating animals. It has happened forever. We have teeth designed for ripping meat, as do most predators. However - if we are going to eat meat, then I think it's fair to give the animals a good life first. I'm not in the PETA camp, but I am a donor to Compassion In World Farming. I'm not blowing the trumpet for them, just stating what I support. People will never stop eating animals, lets just be kind to them and give them a good life before they die/are killed for us.

Peter

it doesnt matter how long, so long as you mean it, for life, everyone has to start somewhere, it all helps. i read somewhere that the average flesh eater eats 140 animals in their lifetime! gross!

140 a year!!

Or a carrot? OK, I'm being flippant. The thing is, I believe in a wider humanity that values life. I have absolutely no problem with people eating animals. It has happened forever. We have teeth designed for ripping meat, as do most predators. However - if we are going to eat meat, then I think it's fair to give the animals a good life first. I'm not in the PETA camp, but I am a donor to Compassion In World Farming. I'm not blowing the trumpet for them, just stating what I support. People will never stop eating animals, lets just be kind to them and give them a good life before they die/are killed for us.

Peter

Fair point, so is it acceptable to eat ANY animal then? horse/squirrel/shark?
why do flesh eaters only seem to mainly consume 3 or 4 different creatures when there are so many,... could be a good way to stop the seal culls, they could be 'humanely' stunned and then used as meat.
right?

i agree uncle skinny, meat has been eaten for years, but we now have the option not to. i understand that in some parts of the world, less civilized(?) than ours, meat is their staple diet, and yes, the whole process of slaughter to plate needs to be kinder. but will it ever be?

140 in their lifetime.... say 70 years av. some may well eat 140 in a year if the tv progs on channel 4 are anything to go by!! lol

no iwas saying i think its gotta be bout 140 a year, think of all the chickens...
:mad:

then again i believe in karma, and i know it doesnt make the whole horrific thing any less horrific or acceptable, but It does cheer me somewhat to know that one day karma'll turn and bite them back.. ;)

Fair point, so is it acceptable to eat ANY animal then? horse/squirrel/shark?
why do flesh eaters only seem to mainly consume 3 or 4 different creatures when there are so many,... could be a good way to stop the seal culls, they could be 'humanely' stunned and then used as meat.
right?

re seal cull... had this argument with chrisclarke on solo, he/she recons they eat the seals!! funny how we see dying carcasses left on the ice! the pelt is all they want! ever watched b******d Ramsey? he kills and eats every thing he can!

no iwas saying i think its gotta be bout 140 a year, think of all the chickens...

then again i believe in karma, and i know it doesnt make the whole horrific thing any less horrific or acceptable, but It does cheer me somewhat to know that one day karma'll turn and bite them back.. ;)

umm, yes, now was it 140 pigs in a life time??? age is catching up with me,sorry cant remember now, think it was, that oliver pratt is doing something with pigs isnt he, maybe where i read it, even so 1 animal is too many!! i just hope ive redeemed myself from before i went veggie!!

:crazy:

To suggest some sort of predestination for those that enjoy a grilled chicken sandwich or pepperoni on their pizza is outlandish.

:crazy:

To suggest some sort of predestination for those that enjoy a grilled chicken sandwich or pepperoni on their pizza is outlandish.

so is thinking that its ok to take another beings life for your pleasure.
*weve been here before, and i aint gonna argue it all out AGAIN*
neither of us will ever win.. :p

I agree with the compassionate farming thing. People are always going to eat animals.

A woman I have a lot of respect for is a nurse, a mother and at the same time pretty much single-handedly runs a rare breed pig farm...and I have never actually seen happier animals than those things. And yeah, some of them end up as pork, which I don't agree with. But the pigs and other animals on that farm are almost more comfortable than the humans. :rolleyes: So I take a lot of offense at the idea of someone calling her a mini-Hitler. Though she would think it was hilarious...

Mass-producing meat industries are an entirely different thing, of course.

I agree with the compassionate farming thing. People are always going to eat animals.

A woman I have a lot of respect for is a nurse, a mother and at the same time pretty much single-handedly runs a rare breed pig farm...and I have never actually seen happier animals than those things. And yeah, some of them end up as pork, which I don't agree with. But the pigs and other animals on that farm are almost more comfortable than the humans. :rolleyes: So I take a lot of offense at the idea of someone calling her a mini-Hitler. Though she would think it was hilarious...

Mass-producing meat industries are an entirely different thing, of course.

why does she need to kill some of them? I dont see the point in that bit at all.

sure it's everyone's own choice, thank spirits or whatever you may i don't have to make that choice for them, but being vague about it and not calling it murder or at least killing is simply fooling yourself.

so is thinking that its ok to take another beings life for your pleasure.
*weve been here before, and i aint gonna argue it all out AGAIN*
neither of us will ever win.. :p

Oh I already have and here is why...

I eat plenty of vegetables, fruits, nuts and meat in what is called moderation. The problem is that those that do not subscribe to your dietary choice do not spout off rhetoric in the way that some of you vegetarians do.

I have news for the lot of you. People that have full diets :thumb: do not really care that you choose to avoid meat or meat by products. It is not on our minds. It does not concern us. However there are quite a few of you out there that seem to be overly concerned with the existence of what is on my plate.

Thanks though as so far today I had a bowl of Cheerios for breakfast, some pasta for lunch / dinner and am having some salsa and chips as I get ready to watch a movie and work on eBay.

I can assure you though lottie that when it is all said and done I will make it a point to go to Taco Bell later on just for in your honor. This special trip will be made just for you :thumb:

sure it's everyone's own choice, thank spirits or whatever you may i don't have to make that choice for them, but being vague about it and not calling it murder or at least killing is simply fooling yourself.

Make sure you turn yourself into the authorities the next time you take antibiotics. Bacteria has a right to exist too...

Oh wait... Bacteria is not as cuddly and they do not look so nice on a greeting card.

why does she need to kill some of them? I dont see the point in that bit at all.

I don't know either. She's very strong-willed and when I ask, generally just laughs and says it's for the money...she once told me she wanted to give people the option of eating local, healthy, humanely raised and killed meat. Practically speaking I don't know how much sense that makes because it's a small farm and not much meat is produced- and we're also pretty good for free-range meat around here. Still, it's better than massive meat-churning battery farms. Animals will always be killed, but they might not always be killed cruelly.

Last edited:
I think I argued this to death with Helen Bach a while ago. I don't eat meat, because (a) I've never liked it (b) the way meat gets to our tables, through mass industry, is a disgrace. However, I would never force my opinions or beliefs on anyone else, my children included. I don't deny them anything - they have the full gamut at their disposal, and it's not my place to tell them what to eat and what not to eat. They will grow up and make up their own minds.

Peter

Blimey...that could be me speaking.

I haven't stopped my children eating meat.They can choose themselves.If they ask how I feel about it then they get the absolute truth.They know the whole process of how meat gets on the shelves.I don't sanitise it,but nor do I lecture them.I tell them how I personally feel about meat. But i won't make them feel bad that they do.I gave up meat when i was twelve so as I child I ate it.

Make sure you turn yourself into the authorities the next time you take antibiotics. Bacteria has a right to exist too...

Oh wait... Bacteria is not as cuddly and they do not look so nice on a greeting card.

I'm tired and my biology is failing me, but can bacteria feel pain now?

No one's eating habits are going to be changed by this thread :rolleyes: Everyone has a right to eat what they like. I don't chant 'meat is murder' when someone wants to tuck in to a blt sandwich and I don't expect anyone to launch into a tirade if I ask for the veggie option. It's not a war, you know.

Since we are on the topic of what would make the world a better place... I have a long list of "improvements" that would assist in your efforts to improve this planet.

:rolleyes:

And what would they be? Would you mind listing them?

Tags
animals = food i<3tubesteak meat = cancer meat = shit meat is murder meat isnt murdr re-run
Back
Top Bottom