Visiting Amsterdam

osiris

We'll I'm leaving for Amsterdam next Friday. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there are any good record stores there that I should be aware of. Of course I'll be on the hunt for Moz & Smiths vinyl. I'm also intrested in knowing what else I should check out while I'm there. I know there's the Anne Frank house, the museums, tulip festival, etc... but what else should I see or do? Any suggestions would be very helpful.

We'll I'm leaving for Amsterdam next Friday. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there are any good record stores there that I should be aware of. Of course I'll be on the hunt for Moz & Smiths vinyl. I'm also intrested in knowing what else I should check out while I'm there. I know there's the Anne Frank house, the museums, tulip festival, etc... but what else should I see or do? Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Ask Jose, she lives there, as far as I know. :)

I've just come back from there, and there are some great shops for vinyl all over the place (can't remember the exact addresses now though). Check out the market as well - they had some albums on vinyl that were pretty tempting (to me, at least). Sadly, a lot of them are easy to miss. The best was a little shop off where you had to climb down to get into the shop - it was stuffed with records. Didn't see any Smiths/Moz (I was looking for old Genesis stuff mainly - I know, but I'm a Prog Head!) but the range was fairly awesome. I think I saw that as I was coming back up (in a northerly direction) from the Van Gogh museum. As I tend to meander a bit, though, you've got to take that advice with a pinch of salt.

The place that I found fun (well, a lot more fun than I thought it was going to be) was the Amsterdam Dungeon. It's just down the road from Madam Tussaud's on a street which I believe was called "Rokin". Tussaud's was a bit of a disappointment, though, but not as disappointing as the New York one (in my opinion).

The Red Light District's pretty fun, even if you don't go there for the obvious reasons - there are some great pubs and reasonably priced eateries there. Definitely an eye-opener!

I'm trying to tempt my mates to go with me again, as the place has some great night life. Let me know if you find that vinyl shop, anyway!

im off there too in the summer, my 4th visit... i think. not sure i can help with any record shops as ive never really looked tbh have never really thought bout looking for records there ... but i will be, so interested to know what suggestions are made here. as for touristy things we qued for 2 and half hours to go in anne franks house then gave up.sex museums are always a good laugh or a pleasure,what ever floats your boat can be found in the dam lol.if your going to sample to smoke out there then id say aviod the grasshoper,its were all the tourists head and found it to be quite expensive. the doors cafe is great lil place to sample the herbs, has a unique amosphere, not surei can exactly remeber where it is, it was near amsterdam central train station somehwere off a main road lol.
sorry i cant be of more help but hope you have a great time. ;) ;) ;)

Thanks everyone for giving me some ideas & what to expect. I'm still waiting for Jose to respond.:) Yeah, I've heard about the Doors herb bar. I will for sure check it out. We might go into Germany as well or Denmark. We're really just playing it by ear. I've only booked a hotel for my first 2 nights there. I think I can get better rates at the hotels when I'm there. I hope so. I'll be there for 8 days. It should be a blast:D

Back
Top Bottom