What do you think Morrissey or Johnny are worth?

Re: Priceless

Absolutely both are priceless, Morrissey would think to discuss fiscal matters in public vulgar too.

Am concerned only that both Morrissey and Johnny are blissfully happy & secure.

I think Johnny should be worth more though, he wrote the The Smiths music after all...Would have Morrissey got famous without Johnny Marr and his good jangly rhythm? probably not since The Smiths ended when Johnny Marr left.

I disagree with this, johnny saved Morrissey from the dole line BUT it was Morrissey who poured his soul in to The Smiths and made them something special.
Left to Marr they would have been a typical Manchester Lads band.

Morrissey changed the language of music, in the same way The Beatles and Bowie did, it just took longer as the audience wasn't there like it was in the 60's and 70's.
All good and original art shows a side of life that hasn't been shown before, although there were a lot of us Morrissey types around we weren't shown in Music.
I am of only in my 30's but I didn't discover Morrissey until I was 18 and by that time I was fully formed, Quiff,sensitive,working class in to James dean, certain books, Kitchen Sink films,etc, I even had a simular dress sence and sence of wit.

So when I discoverd Morrissey it was very powerful.
My point is, it's never just about music

morrissey is probably worth more than marr and i bet has more money than marr.
morrissey seems like a saver, his bank interest is probably piling up, marr is married and i bet his wife soaks up all his money on shoes (assuming she has feet). Has marr done an autobiography?

Whatever they are worth, they certainly deserve every penny! Unlike some singer/musicians. A lot of talentless celebs today get paid huge amounts of money for nothing.

Morrissey has done more things where he could feasibly have lost a lot of money in the past, like financing his own tours. So I wouldn't take it for granted that he is richer than Marr.

I do remember Morrissey's realtor saying that Moz was a lousy businessman, but a nice fella. The same guy mentioned that Mick Jagger was a great businessman, but a total prick.

So, Moz has far less wealth than Mick Jagger, but is worth far more. ;)

As for J. Marr, I'm sure he's fairly comfortable as well.

Whatever wealth they both have, it is certainly well-earned.

Are we just presuming Morrissey is worth more because we are on a Morrissey forum where some of his most devout fans contribute?

nope, we're not. Q magazine did a feature on artists' wealth years ago (mid 90's) and Moz was thought to be worth around £8 million back then - a lot more than Marr. Morrissey's had much bigger commercial success in the 2000's than in the 1990's, and has toured loads - much more than Marr - and this is how money is made in the music biz these days. so it's a safe bet that Morrissey has quite a lot more cash.

Are we just presuming Morrissey is worth more because we are on a Morrissey forum where some of his most devout fans contribute?

because Marr has played part in many artist albums since the years of The Smiths i have a feeling they are worth equal amounts

Exactly my point, I think Johnny Marr is worth the same or more because he is ranked one of the best guitarests in the world. Nobody can play The Smiths jangly riffs like him, plus he was the guy that made The Smiths songs sound good or else they might have turned out very different....

Eh? Just compare The Smiths music to Morrissey's music, Johnny was the better guitarest, Andy was the better Bassist and Mike was the better drummer...that's all I'm saying. Have you listened to Money Changes Everything, Oscillate Wildly and The Draize Train? Some of the best instrumentals ever.

Exactly my point, I think Johnny Marr is worth the same or more because he is ranked one of the best guitarests in the world. Nobody can play The Smiths jangly riffs like him, plus he was the guy that made The Smiths songs sound good or else they might have turned out very different....

I think you're confusing two issues; how good someone is and how much money they've got. It's irrelevant that Marr's considered to be one of the world's best guitarists. With the exception of the Modest Moose album he played on, and early Electrics stuff, hardly any of his stuff has sold well.
If being one of the world's great guitar players equates to commercial success, why didn't guitar fans scoop up his solo album en masse?
It sold around 10,000-20,000 whereas Quarry sold over a million.

Quarry: Mainstream
Johnny Marr and The Healers: Indie
That's probs why, there needs to be an official Smiths forum!

I guess we should all remember that no matter how much cash flows in, his lifestyle must be quite costly. Okay, he tours a lot, but he does not perform concerts of the Rolling Stones' size, while still has many costs to cover (the crew, the venue, travelling expenses etc...). I guess his royalties can be his main income source, not touring. That's because I'd rather think he tours because he likes it, not because he MUST.

By the way, I am new here, so I'd like to say hello. Plus, excuse my English as it's not my mother tongue...

Back
Top Bottom