What do you think of the new Morrissey single, "I'm throwing my arms around Paris"?

What do you think of the new Morrissey single, "I'm throwing my arms around Paris"

• Total voters

Maurice E

Lots of discussion on the new single but would be good to get the consensus.
Did the same for 'You Have Killed Me' and 'THPGU' so would be good to compare results...

Re: What do you think of the new Morrissey single, "I'm throwing my arms around Paris

I think it's fantastic. I wonder what car or bike is speeding off in the beginning?

Re: What do you think of the new Morrissey single, "I'm throwing my arms around Paris

It's... ok, in my opinion. It just doesn't jump out at me like a lead single should. I like the music but lyrically it doesn't do anything for me. Maybe my opinion of it is tainted by the fact that we've heard it for a while now. Hell, I think You Have Killed me was a better song than this, and at the time I thought that was a poor first single choice.

He should have keep All You Need Is Me off of the Greatest Hits collection and made that the first single. Or used Something Is Squeezing My Skull. My $0.02.

Still excited about the album, of course.

I hate to say it, but this song strikes me as a lost opportunity. :(

I like the music a lot - it could have been more complex, but it's still a lovely tune, and very catchy. I also like the production, and Morrissey's vocals are gorgeous.

The problem is the lyrics; if he'd written something more subtle and interesting, this would have been a great song. As it is, it's a pretty pop tune, but not much else.

whoops, must've ticked the 'game' box by mistake. soz!
there seems to be a recurring theme in modern day Morrissey songs that the lyrics are often the worst part of the song.
how times change...

whoops, must've ticked the 'game' box by mistake. soz!
there seems to be a recurring theme in modern day Morrissey songs that the lyrics are often the worst part of the song.
how times change...

It really is a strange turn of events. I for one would never have guessed that he would become such a remarkable vocalist, with such longevity. As for his lyrics, he had farther to fall than anyone else.

I'm still looking forward to the album; "Skull" is wonderful.

It's a good song. I think Something Is Squeezing My Skull would have been a much better choice for a single and since I don't know what a lot of the other songs are like there might even be better choices.

I think it's a good song but it just doesn't have the feel of a single to me.

I find Skull to be really dissonant and forced. It didn't impress me the first time I heard it and I still don't care about it so much.

Throwing my Arms is definitely a superior song, though it sounds more like one of those B-side gems - an understatement of a song which works perfectly.

I find Skull to be really dissonant and forced. It didn't impress me the first time I heard it and I still don't care about it so much.

Throwing my Arms is definitely a superior song, though it sounds more like one of those B-side gems - an understatement of a song which works perfectly.

I think Skull just has better hooks and would be a better way to grab people in to get them to hear songs like Paris rather than the other way around.

I think its a very well produced track with a very good sound, I actually think the relatively short length might help it be a good radio friendly track. All and all if this is indicative of the new album I think we will have quite the gem

I really love this song. Lyrically it's very sweet, very straightforward, and what's wrong with that? The vocal melody is gorgeous, the simple guitar riff very infectious. I think a lot of the nay-sayers are going to be surprised by how much airplay this gets. I think it'll chart well, attracting new fans.

As an aside, does anyone else read the second 'plain' as implying unattractiveness?

"Yes, you've made yourself plain
Yes you've made yourself very plain [i.e. unattractive/unappealing]"

........Just me, then?

Last edited:

i like it a lot! the lyrics are beautiful,the music is fantastic but i like mama a lot more is a fantastic song,i love the drums,but paris is good is different...in a good way :)

I quite like it, good choice for a first single, it might have some chart potential. My only complaint is that it seemed to lack a proper finish when I heard it during concerts (I haven't heard the studio version yet).

In fairness it's better musically than lyrically. The clarinet sounds good and the single as a whole is quite pleasant as far as the instrumentation goes. The problem for me is lyrically it is Morrissey by numbers. There's no killer line or memorable quote like you would get in the past. The whole thing seems to pass me by. Must try harder next time....

In fairness it's better musically than lyrically. The clarinet sounds good and the single as a whole is quite pleasant as far as the instrumentation goes. The problem for me is lyrically it is Morrissey by numbers. There's no killer line or memorable quote like you would get in the past. The whole thing seems to pass me by. Must try harder next time....

And that's why it is a good single! fantastic quotes and great lyrics never got him any airplay in the past, so maybe this time a beautiful, gentle and simple song (that is however tipical Moz) will serve it's purpose and might get people interested - and then they'll discover him and his great lyrics (past and present) - :guitar:

That's what I hope for, anyway ;)

I ruv it.

Seconded. Paris is an excellent album track -- the studio version has been on repeat for the last few days. Wonderful stuff. Maybe it was chosen for its brevity?

But listen to the XFM broadcast of Something is Squeezing... It's a blinder! It would've made a great single that would've gotten more ink in newspapers and magazines.

I think Skull just has better hooks and would be a better way to grab people in to get them to hear songs like Paris rather than the other way around.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom