What do you think of the new Morrissey single, "I'm throwing my arms around Paris"?

What do you think of the new Morrissey single, "I'm throwing my arms around Paris"

• Total voters
Re: What do you think of the new Morrissey single, "I'm throwing my arms around Paris

I can't say I appriciate Finn's production even after he's dead. It's too polished and perfect. And especially the piano is sometimes a bit over the top, it's not that I dislike it (it got a nice retro feeling) but I like it minimalistic.

Re: What do you think of the new Morrissey single, "I'm throwing my arms around Paris

Having been signally unimpressed at first hearing, it's now stuck in my head!

I agree with what seems to be the majority by thinking that Something is Squeezing My Skull would have been a better choice for a lead-off single, but I do really like the song. Lovely melody, nice lyrics, and the clarinet solo from Boz which is a nice touch. My only gripe is that it plays in to the hands of the "Misery merchants" who use the lazy journalism to brand him as the 'Pope of Mope' etc, whereas SISMS would have been a much catchier, slightly more humourous slant on things.
However, I do think, and I don't know if anyone else agrees, that since That's How People Grow Up, Morrissey's voice on the recordings sounds slightly less "natural" than previously, I can't put my finger on what it is, but they way it is produced or recorded gives it a slightly artificial feel I think. His voice doesn't sound too much different live from 2/3 years back, but in the recordings they sound different to me anyway.

since That's How People Grow Up, Morrissey's voice on the recordings sounds slightly less "natural" than previously,

Yes,i agree there. I think his voice is getting worse sadly.
To me ,he was at his peak at the beginning of the Quarry tour but at later gigs he seemed tired and the voice was going.
:(

I really like it, I like the lyrics...maybe not intellectual enough for some people, but I like em' and I just think Its a very catchy song.

I love It!! :)

I really like it, I like the lyrics...maybe not intellectual enough for some people, but I like em' and I just think Its a very catchy song.

I love It!! :)

Not intellectual enough? The entire song is a metaphor, it doesn't get any more intellectual than that. :)

I absolutely love this track. I can tell you that this will get much airplay on my weekly show once i get back to university in January. Love it. :)

It is a very pleasant, cute song, and I like the way Morrissey sings.
Now, if only Paris accepts your love, well, I can accept your money, Mozzie, no problem.:p (Stop crying, babe :rolleyes:)

It's mediocre in my opinion. It's a nice enough song, but nothing really reaches out to me to demand repeated listens. My main problems with it is how lyrically thin on the ground it is, aswell as it's short length. I appreciate that songs dont have to be long to be good, but this feels undercooked to me. To sum up, it's one of those rare Morrissey offerings that genuinely sounds like it should have been a B-Side. My verdict: 4/10

well, it's a pretty good result with over 60% of us considering it to be at least a really good Morrissey single.
this is a similar to reception to You Have Killed Me but, thankfully, a lot better than THPGU.
I think it would translate to a score of about 8.2/10 in the big fan poll we did last year, http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?p=772612 possibly just enough to get it into the top 100. should be pleased with that really but I still long for brilliant singles, up there with the very best stuff he's ever done. at least something worthy of a top 50 place like First of the Gang.
perhaps that's getting a bit unrealistic these days...

Back
Top Bottom