What does it mean when a guy says...

Currer Bell

Dearly Departing
"you can date whoever you want"?

Seriously. Two different guys made the comment, "you know, you can date whoever you want..." but when asked to name names of people who may be interested, they can't actually think of anybody! I was dating one of these guys at the time, so he obviously wasn't dropping a hint that he was interested.

Are these guys making groundless assumptions based upon a generalization? Are they flirting with me? Or, are they trying a sneaky tactic to try and figure out if there are any guys that are in the picture?

Seriously. Two different guys made the comment, "you know, you can date whoever you want..." but when asked to name names of people who may be interested, they can't actually think of anybody! I was dating one of these guys at the time, so he obviously wasn't dropping a hint that he was interested.

Are these guys making groundless assumptions based upon a generalization? Are they flirting with me? Or, are they trying a sneaky tactic to try and figure out if there are any guys that are in the picture?
To me it's always meant that they're not interested solely in YOU- they just want an excuse to shag other women. It's sort of like when you get dumped, and the other person says, "It's not YOU, it's ME."

To me it's always meant that they're not interested solely in YOU- they just want an excuse to shag other women. It's sort of like when you get dumped, and the other person says, "It's not YOU, it's ME."

I agree. I think it means that he intends to see other people so he is "letting" you also, so that later when you find out he was with someone else, he can say "Well I said you could too."

Yes, my dear, it's true. It's ME, love, not you. You deserve someone better. I'm just not good for you. It pains me to see you cry! :p

sounds like George Castanza

Wait--you mean... :tears:

I agree. I think it means that he intends to see other people so he is "letting" you also, so that later when you find out he was with someone else, he can say "Well I said you could too."

Yep. It's a great excuse to get out of a relationship but so mean and obvious. I'd rather the person be honest with me, no matter how much it hurts. It's like that episode on Friends where Rachel wants some time to herself and tells Ross that she's taking a *break* from seeing him. So Ross decides to date some other woman, and Rachel is seething. Ross whines, "Well, you SAID you wanted a break! So we weren't technically involved!" LOL it does sound like George *shrinkage* Costanza!

I think we need Ms. Bronte to clarify, because I read the question differently than the rest of you...

If you're dating someone and he says, "You can date other people", yes, he is either playing the field himself or intends to very soon.

If you're just talking to men who are saying, "You can date whoever you want", implying that your good looks are a key that will unlock any man's door, then they are both flirting with you and trying to find out if you're dating anyone. Take it as a good sign-- to the extent that any man with desire in his heart is actually speaking truthfully, of course.

I think we need Ms. Bronte to clarify, because I read the question differently than the rest of you...

If you're dating someone and he says, "You can date other people", yes, he is either playing the field himself or intends to very soon.

If you're just talking to men who are saying, "You can date whoever you want", implying that your good looks are a key that unlocks any man's door, then they are both flirting with you and trying to find out if you're dating anyone. Take it as a good sign-- to the extent that any man with desire in his heart can actually tell the truth, of course.

agreed.

that is what i thought,if they are dating its not a good sign but if its just someone you are chatting to at a bar then i think they mean it as a compliment.

If you're just talking to men who are saying, "You can date whoever you want", implying that your good looks are a key that will unlock any man's door, then they are both flirting with you and trying to find out if you're dating anyone. Take it as a good sign-- to the extent that any man with desire in his heart is actually speaking truthfully, of course.

Yes! that's exactly how I meant it. One dude who asked was a coworker who I was obviously not dating at the time.

In both situations, we knew a lot of the same people through work and school. The way it was phrased was something to the effect of "you could date anyone here" which implies that conversations have taken place amongst a bunch of bored guys sitting around on the patio. However, I'm thinking "funny that these guys must have a vial of floo powder and disappear anytime I'm in the area because I don't see a whole bunch of guys tripping over themselves to come ask me out."

it's like... you think awesome, but you get bored after a while. It means his a boring guy.

In both situations, we knew a lot of the same people through work and school. The way it was phrased was something to the effect of "you could date anyone here" which implies that conversations have taken place amongst a bunch of bored guys sitting around on the patio. However, I'm thinking "funny that these guys must have a vial of floo powder and disappear anytime I'm in the area because I don't see a whole bunch of guys tripping over themselves to come ask me out."

Maybe it's because you know what "floo powder" is. :p

Yes! that's exactly how I meant it. One dude who asked was a coworker who I was obviously not dating at the time.

It's a tricky piece of flattery to interpret. I think some men would use that as a line to endear themselves to you without really meaning it literally, in which case he probably hasn't talked about actually dating you with the other guys in the vicinity. "You can date anyone" is, for him, "Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?" At the same time it is a silly ploy to roll out his ingratiating, cloying, self-deprecating, regular-guy persona ("What, you mean you'd go out with a guy like me? You, who could have anyone? Shucks!") as a means of stroking his own vanity.

On the other hand, he might well have talked about you 'round the campfire. It is not unknown around certain male circles to do so-- and it doesn't necessarily mean they talked about you in tones of disrespect, either. You might well rank atop the list of desirable females in the area.

I would reflect for a moment on what sort of self-esteem these guys have, who they seem to be. IMHO, if it's the first kind of guy I described saying "You can date anyone", he is likely betraying his own feelings of inadequacy, meaning you are being flattered by a person whose flattery means zilch. He doesn't know how to ask you out (I hear the voice of Jonathan Pryce in the film adaptation of The Rachel Papers castigating poor Charles: "I see you wankers, tripping over your own cocks...they don't like it either!") which may indicate either or both a weak grasp of reality or a lover prone to glib temporizing. Maybe you'll find that charming, I dunno.

If it's the second guy, hmmm...watch out, he might be a bit of a player. He might well have talked about you with his buddies and if he's the one who stepped forward it shows some nerve, I think, but maybe there's some worrying overconfidence there, too. Again, not sure if that's your cup of tea or not.

In any case I'm not sure how reliable this information is. You will need to dig deeper to uncover the facts of the case. I suggest you find subtle and above all safe ways of testing the hypothesis that you can, in fact, have any bloke in the area if you so chose. Unfortunately your success or failure is far more reliable than any flatterer or any mirror, mirror on the wall ever could be.

In any case I'm not sure how reliable this information is. You will need to dig deeper to uncover the facts of the case. I suggest you find subtle and above all safe ways of testing the hypothesis that you can, in fact, have any bloke in the area if you so chose. Unfortunately your success or failure is far more reliable than any flatterer or any mirror, mirror on the wall ever could be.

Yeah, I don't really need to test it. I've had more guys wander off in the middle of a conversation or ignore me than I care to admit.

My favorite is when a woman tells me that I "need to find a good girlfriend." She has no intention of meaning herself, and if I asked her, there'd be an array of turn-downs that she could choose from. That is our version of "you could date anybody".

my favorite question (from a guy) is "why dont you have a boyfriend?"

i need to think of something really awful to tell them for my own amusement.

any suggestions?

my favorite question (from a guy) is "why dont you have a boyfriend?"

i need to think of something really awful to tell them for my own amusement.

any suggestions?

"Why aren't you married?" is a pretty good one, too. Like you're supposed to put that on your list of things to do, and find someone that is halfway suitable. I guess that's how a lot of people do it though.

Anyway, that is a question you need to answer with a question. I know that much. Because any answer you give puts you in the position to be answering personal questions for someone that is pretty much an idiot.

"Why aren't you married?" is a pretty good one, too. Like you're supposed to put that on your list of things to do, and find someone that is halfway suitable. I guess that's how a lot of people do it though.

Anyway, that is a question you need to answer with a question. I know that much. Because any answer you give puts you in the position to be answering personal questions for someone that is pretty much an idiot.

well i realize that they think they're flirting when they ask, as if to say "omg, you so hawt, why are you single?" ALTHOUGH, not as great as when they say something like "so where's your boyfriend tonight?" like, theyre gonna trick me into telling them if i have a b/f or not. they think theyre smooth by not coming right out and asking when really they sound like a moron.

I did have a guy ask me why I wasnt married, a few weeks ago, but was a somewhat retarded and really really drunk old dude that was cracking me up. he told me he wanted to marry me and buy me a house. he apparently frequents that particular bar and ive seen him about 3 times now, i thought he was creepy at first but he's my buddy now. and when I mean old I mean like 70, at least. I'm referring to the karaoke night I've been going to alot recently, and after I sang last week he was so impressed he said he was gonna buy me TWO houses now. not one, but TWO. haha.

Back
Top Bottom