What exactly constitutes a ‘troll’?

Silent Reader

On Timeout
On Timeout
Seems to me, anyone who makes a comment on here that certain people don’t like is called a ‘troll’. It’s bandied about like nobody’s business.

It’s just a lazy insult for people with no imagination I reckon, and apart from the obvious answer (i.e. ‘me’), what exactly constitutes being a troll on here?

Last edited:
Starting a thread entitled 'Radis Noir is a c***' is probably the most cut-and-dried example of trolling I've seen in a while. In second place I'd consider that systematically down-voting every comment by a particular user is also trolling. Anyone who does those two things is definitely a troll. Dismissing the term as 'a lazy insult' is just a lazy response - in fact it's no response at all really. Trolling is an actual thing and cannot be dismissed so lightly.

There are (or were) websites dedicated to trying to make people kill themselves live on the internet. Actively encouraging them for their own sick pleasure. And people did it.

That’s trolling.

There are (or were) websites dedicated to trying to make people kill themselves live on the internet. Actively encouraging them for their own sick pleasure. And people did it.

That’s trolling.
That's an extreme end of trolling but the definition of trolling encompasses everything I wrote above.
Troll v.
make a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.

Seems to me there is a fine line between having an opinion & being a troll. Maybe we just need a very humdrum, anodyne set of views to adhere to so no-one ever gets upset about anything.

Maybe every Internet forum needs a snowflake like ‘safe zone’ where people can run off to if anything’s upsets them. Like they have in Universities. Like the RE students who get upset at the bible for instance😖

Or just ‘no-platform’ them.

Seems to me there is a fine line between having an opinion & being a troll. Maybe we just need a very humdrum, anodyne set of views to adhere to so no-one ever gets upset about anything.

Maybe every Internet forum needs a snowflake like ‘safe zone’ where people can run off to if anything’s upsets them. Like they have in Universities. Like the RE students who get upset at the bible for instance😖

Or just ‘no-platform’ them.
You can present just about any view without needing to resort to abuse or to being gratuitously offensive. In fact it's generally the case that trolling isn't presenting a view at all but is being abusive for the sake of it, for the reasons outlined above.
If you think that having a safe space on here would be a useful thing then I'm sure that if you started such a thread in 'Off-topic' most people on here would respect that.

You can present just about any view without needing to resort to abuse or to being gratuitously offensive. In fact it's generally the case that trolling isn't presenting a view at all but is being abusive for the sake of it, for the reasons outlined above.
If you think that having a safe space on here would be a useful thing then I'm sure that if you started such a thread in 'Off-topic' most people on here would respect that.
I may just do that. I don’t know if it’s up to me to say what is & isn’t allowed on a thread on here though. Well I do know actually, and it isn’t. But I might do it anyway, unless told otherwise by a mod.

Another day though, I’ve spaffed my load on thread creating for one day.

🤒
Skinny
and Skinny subspecies:
Surface
Nerak
Velcro
Radish
Left Nut
Sucks
Bluebirds
Acton
"Amy"

TBC:blushing:

“A hateful online crèche “

I may just do that. I don’t know if it’s up to me to say what is & isn’t allowed on a thread on here though. Well I do know actually, and it isn’t. But I might do it anyway, unless told otherwise by a mod.

Another day though, I’ve spaffed my load on thread creating for one day.

Which sites did you bombard with thread creating before you started on here?

Radish defining what it means to be a "troll." :crazy: An assertion that is sure to pass Skinny inspection.

5 stars! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

:trophy: :LOL:

Seems to me, anyone who makes a comment on here that certain people don’t like is called a ‘troll’. It’s bandied about like nobody’s business.

It’s just a lazy insult for people with no imagination I reckon, and apart from the obvious answer (i.e. ‘me’), what exactly constitutes being a troll on here?
No, you're a troll because you're attention seeking and you present yourself as a character. If you actually, in your everyday life, say "woke" and "snowflake" as often as you do here and this being you present is actually "you" then you're just insufferable. Calling you a troll in this case is not an insult. It's giving you the benefit of the doubt thinking that you can't really be this person you present.

Maybe comments like ‘I love being hated on here’? I mean, to purposefully set out to be hated-that’s trolling.
"I love being hated" does not equate to "I set out to be hated." I was just posting when I caught the attention of certain people and once I became aware of them I felt like I wouldn't have it any other way.

No, you're a troll because you're attention seeking and you present yourself as a character. If you actually, in your everyday life, say "woke" and "snowflake" as often as you do here and this being you present is actually "you" then you're just insufferable. Calling you a troll in this case is not an insult. It's giving you the benefit of the doubt thinking that you can't really be this person you present.
Don't be such a woke snowflake @Fake C 😉

Is anyone really, fully themselves on the internet? I mean, you'd either have to be autistic, built like a brick shithouse or incredibly dull to be like it in real life. I mean all I say but yeah there is probably an inevitable 'over the topness' to it being on here. You honestly can't say you're the same?

Anyway, I'm off to bed, I've got a Klan meeting in the morning.

Don't be such a woke snowflake @Fake C 😉

Is anyone really, fully themselves on the internet? I mean, you'd either have to be autistic, built like a brick shithouse or incredibly dull to be like it in real life. I mean all I say but yeah there is probably an inevitable 'over the topness' to it being on here. You honestly can't say you're the same?

Anyway, I'm off to bed, I've got a Klan meeting in the morning.
I am Jeremy Kyle, a self-satisfied prick who points out the inadequacies of others for the amusement of the viewers, so it's not an act.

I am Jeremy Kyle, a self-satisfied prick who points out the inadequacies of others for the amusement of the viewers, so it's not an act.

Unintentionally showcasing the most glaring inadequacies and inner demons which are your own, so no it's definitely not an act.

🤒

I forgot to mention Gorg Salmon ultra troll.:thumbsdown:
annoyingly prim.:blushing:

Fake Cham and his many bogus usernames fall under
the psycho babblin troll category.🥶

and that dumb troll that is supposed to have a NO 1 Polish song 😬
he was going to change the world by getting drunk and having
a NO 1 Polish song and a tour 🙂

:handpointup:

psycho babbling trolling.:(

'if you do here what you do there as often as you do here then this being you now the present you....etc etc':crazy:

I've finally realised what constitutes a troll on here - expressing an opinion / providing unwanted facts to a small group who do the same with what they think, and that's not trolling, but if you answer back, you are trolling.

That just about nails it i think.

Back
Top Bottom