What has been Morrisey's biggest concert?

I had a pair of tickets for the M.E.N gig,
but my team Millwall got to the FA Cup final which was the same day,
so I sold the Moz tickets on Ebay for face value..
I least you'll get the chance to see morrissey live again some time.
Millwall in another cup final,highly doubtful.
Although it's great to see teams other than Chelsea,Arsenal and Man utd in the final.

----------------
Now playing: Radiohead - Karma Police
via FoxyTunes

I least you'll get the chance to see morrissey live again some time.
Millwall in another cup final,highly doubtful.
Although it's great to see teams other than Chelsea,Arsenal and Man utd in the final.

maybe your team and mine will meet again some sunny day:guitar:

The only way he could sell out a stadium would be if it was a very rare one-off event e.g. the only European concert he did all year.

Or a Joyce-less The Smiths re-union concert ?
Even then I think it'd have to be a pretty compact and bijou stadium, like Walthamstow Dog track or sumthin' .... but I think they demolished that the other day didn't they ?

It's not really that. The reason was that it was the only announced European show of the year at the time so people came from all over the UK as well as the continent. He did that sneaky thing of announcing shows incrementally so people didn't realise they could have waited and seen him at a much more convenient location. It was his birthday too so quite a special occasion.

In my opinion (whatever that counts for), you and Kewpie are both right - it was his birthday, which made it special; it was the only announced European show; he did the incremental thing but it was also way more exciting to be seeing Moz in his home city than anywhere else, particularly after him not having played there for so long. And let's face it, everything's more exciting in Manchester, anyway...

His biggest US show was Madison Square Garden 13 July 1991. The main space of the Garden has a slightly bigger capacity than the Hollywood Bowl.

I was there!!!:D What memories! I hope he never plays at MSG again. It is too large and preferable for a hockey game.

i think the smallest Morrissey concert ever would be more fun than the biggest.

Speaking of which, which is the smallest venue/capacity he has played? I know he played a few oddball places in 1999-2000.

i thought that the earls court gig was bigger than the MEN , (i was at both)

and the smallest has to be paisley town hall only 550 tickets were sold (and i was there)

According to Brel the smallest venue Morrissey played in UK was Nottingham Rock City in 1999.

I haven't been there, but its capacity seems about 200.

I couldn't find the actual venue capacity of Earl's Court from their website, but according to wikipedia its capacity is about 19,000, slightly smaller than MEN Arena.

Last edited:
In 90s Oasis were often on tabloids which contributed their commertial success.

In long term Morrissey's music still generates interest from younger people which is very promising. :)
i think it also as alot to do with the fact that he polarises alot of group's of people.

i thought that the earls court gig was bigger than the MEN , (i was at both)

and the smallest has to be paisley town hall only 550 tickets were sold (and i was there)

MEN is like an aircraft hanger, it's got to be bigger than Earls?

According to Brel the smallest venue Morrissey played in UK was Nottingham Rock City in 1999.

I couldn't find the actual venue capacity of Earl's Court from their website, but according to wikipedia its capacity is about 19,000, slightly smaller than MEN Arena.

Maybe Nottingham isn't a very big town for Morrissey. I saw him at the ice aren in 2006 and the place was half empty.

Maybe Nottingham isn't a very big town for Morrissey. I saw him at the ice aren in 2006 and the place was half empty.

For smallest venue, surely this one from the 1997 tour archive is in the running: Glen Burnie, MD - Nov. 18, 1997 Michael's Eighth Avenue.

The descriptions are of a place where wedding receptions / bar mitzvahs are generally held. Does not sound too auspicious, but, if I recall, the bootleg was not half bad.

Cheers,
Jamie

Nottingham Rock City is a good venue, must hold way more than 1000. *EDIT* Wiki says 2450

The MEN Arena is the biggest concert venue in Europe though Earls Court isn't a purpose built concert venue. The MEN A's capacity changes for the event, for example, for ice hockey / basketball, all the seats are used but then thousands are not stood up in the middle. Some concerts are all seated some not, and the seats behind the stage are not used obviously.
Someone said way back that 18,000 tickets were sold.

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
Nottingham Rock City is a good venue, must hold way more than 1000. *EDIT* Wiki says 2450

The MEN Arena is the biggest concert venue in Europe though Earls Court isn't a purpose built concert venue. The MEN A's capacity changes for the event, for example, for ice hockey / basketball, all the seats are used but then thousands are not stood up in the middle. Some concerts are all seated some not, and the seats behind the stage are not used obviously.
Someone said way back that 18,000 tickets were sold.

Jukebox Jury

Bit late, but I've only just read this!

It was nearer to 1000, than 2450 thats for sure. I remember being surprised at the size of the place when I walked in. It was certainly on the small side and absolutely packed out. I recall that it took a long time to get everyone out at the end.

It was certainly my smallest Morrissey venue, followed by that place in Chester and the Liverpool Royal Court seemed very compact inside.

concerning the smallest venue :did read in a fanzine that the concert in the san carlos institute -key west/florida in 1997 (november)was one of , if not the smallest
..had 800

Last edited:
Morrissey gives a concert every night from the tub. He enters stage left in the buff to the intro of "Splish Splash I Was Taking a Bath" and closes with "There is a Light That Never Goes Out." Oh, errm, right, and "When I Last Spoke to Carol" is in the middle somewhere..

Back
Top Bottom