What in your opinion is the darkest Morrissey song?

Suffer little children has brought me to tears at times. For me it’s

“Edward, see those alluring lights ?
Tonight will be your very last night
A woman said : "I know my son is dead
I'll never rest my hands on his sacred head"

that does it. Honestly though for all of the bleak subject matter I don’t find to many smiths songs bleak. I think it’s because he’s so young that there seems to be a distance of experience keeping the lyrics meaning at arms length a bit. He sings them a little like an actor, moving and affecting but almost to composed to be truely harrowing. That’s kinda why I chose my dearest love. It’s a simple lyrics without many words but the way he sings it leaves me no room to doubt his belief in it. He sounds so angry and bitterly resigned on that one

Dark times for Moz to live through and from memory he does paint a wretched caricature of the victims in his autobiography but maybe his comments are because he identifies with the victims or even some self loathing??

I can't remember the exact words, but he says Keith Bennett is "a gawky child from Manchester's forgotten side streets", or something similar. Really pretty foul thing to say about a murdered boy, and in the midst of a cynical rant about the McCanns as well.

Oh Mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head
See, the sea wants to take me
The knife wants to slit me
Do you think you can help me?

I don’t know what I think the bleakest song is but there are lots of bleak yet fantastic lines

Michael's Bones
Yes I am Blind

But to pick one or even rank them is the job of a lunatic.

Back
Top Bottom