What is your least favorite Morrissey/Smiths song?

Always sends a shiver up my spine though,I was at Liverpool

It is really great live. Although I have only seen him live once!

I think maybe a lot of people don't like it, because the current band line up, as someone on here once said, seem to 'hammer the shit' out of everything live.

Live stuff obviously sounds great when it's a bit ramped up - but they possibly lack a bit of finesse (or jingle jangle as I like to call it). Black Cloud doesn't really have any higher registers in the vocal so that Morrissey can 'lift' the song a bit, so maybe it sounds a bit 'samey'. Or maybe I'm full of crap?!

Last edited:
It is really great live. Although I have only seen him live once!

I think maybe a lot of people don't like it, because the current band line up, as someone on here once said, seem to 'hammer the shit' out of everything live.

Live stuff obviously sounds great when it's a bit ramped up - but they possibly lack a bit of finesse (or jingle jangle as I like to call it). Black Cloud doesn't really have any higher registers in the vocal so that Morrissey can 'lift' the song a bit, so maybe it sounds a bit 'samey'. Or maybe I'm full of crap?!

No,what I meant was it reminds me of the walk off

Yeah, if you buy MIM new in the UK now it has HSIN on too (or at least my copy does). I do also love 'The Boy With The Thorn In His Side'- again, one of my absolute favourites.

Me too. HSIN and TWTIHS really changed my life and my own perception and understanding of my life.

This thread actually made me fall in love with Morrissey again. A lot of the songs that people listed are some of my favorite songs so I had to go listen to them. And I changed my mind about "Friday Mourning". I just listened to it right now and it is really good. He has such a beautiful voice and is so handsome!:blushing:

Its one of my faves on YOR

That's interesting how one song is trash to one person, and gold to another. I'm sure Morrissey himself would call 'Black Cloud' as one of his favorites on 'Years of Refusal' as well. In my humble opinion, I think Boz Boorer composed a pretty good tune, but it was poorly executed in the recording studio. Whether this was due to Jerry Fin, Jeff Beck, or Morrissey, it ended up producing a song that won't work for me. It's no matter though, I understand 'Black Cloud' has a fair amount of fans.

On the flip side, there's so many songs that I LOVE that everybody seems to hate. Roy's Keen, At Last I Am Born, Papa Jack, On The Streets I Ran, Sweetie Pie, The Father Who Must Be Killed, Get Off The Stage, Mexico, Tony The Pony, Children In Pieces, Sorry Doesn't Help, I Just Want To See The Boy Happy, How Can Anybody Know How I Feel, and Interlude - all brilliant songs in my book.

How soon is now. Too long, boring dirgy droning music, stodgy miserabilist moz by numbers lyrics lacking his usual wit and subtleties. Overblown, over played and overrated.

Back
Top Bottom