What Moz songs did you hate at first and then came to love?

Skylarker

People come second, or possibly third.
For me it's definitely It's Not Your Birthday Anymore. God what an amazing song. I couldn't stand it for years. Now I can't stop playing it. Amazing song.

For me it's definitely It's Not Your Birthday Anymore. God what an amazing song. I couldn't stand it for years. Now I can't stop playing it. Amazing song.
Driving Your Girlfriend Home

I'm curious why you couldn't stand it for years? It was my favourite off Years as soon as I heard it, and remains the best track still.

King Leer! I used to skip and despise it, not sure what happened or when it happened but I adore it now.

all the lazy dykes for me was a track I would always skip,love it now.

With all 3 of these mentioned songs (Dykes/Birthday/Driving) I took to them instantly.

For me it has more to do with the meaning of the song, or my interpretation. For me, Morrissey is an artist where you have to listen to what he's saying, & actually hear the message, and not get suckered by the tune alone. His delivery of songs is remarkable. So there are 3 key ingredients.

It's not always a case for me that I actually listen to lyrics, or think about them too much (e.g. Pink Floyd, or Led Zepp where for me it's generally centred around the tune & magnificent guitar playing, especially with PF). But with Morrissey, it's essential to listen to the lyrics.
He's probably the only artist where I've googled to unravel the complexities of what he's singing about.

I think also if you can relate to the song, or your own thoughts align with Moz's, then that's part of the magic which Moz brings.

Last edited by a moderator:
all the lazy dykes for me was a track I would always skip,love it now.
Never liked the word Dykes to describe anyone and don't like these sort of tags as a whole eg. Gay is an absolutely awful term too, people are people and surely that's good enough. For that reason I was never fond of the title or the lyrics, that said it's a belter of a tune and probably one of the best off of Quarry and could be considered the 'classic' Morrissey sound.

I Just Want To See The Boy Happy

I've always had an incredibly hard time with Ringleader as a whole. I wanted to like it because most of the songwriting is actually very good, it has great lyrics, his vocal performance is amazing and I've liked most of it when played live but the production has always tainted the experience of the album as a whole for me (and still does. I listen to maybe three songs off of it regularly.)

However, I find myself coming back to live recordings of I Just Want To See The Boy Happy a lot these days. It used to be one of my least favourite tracks on Ringleader but the lyrics are pretty great and it's a fun tune.

There is a longer list of songs which I once loved, but grew to hate - just down to getting sick of them from the sheer number of times Morrissey has played them live ('How Soon is Now?', for example)

Oh, also Roy's Keen!
I love that song now, great innuendo and fantastic vocal. I adore the way he articulates words like "chancing" and "chamois" here.

Best Friend On The Payroll

Southpaw Grammar was such a disappointment after V&I. In retrospect, I’ve come to appreciate it more.

Southpaw. Initially I thought it was just an overlong mess on an album, that runs out of good enough material after three songs. Nowadays I appreciate it a lot -- but still think the album is just half there. The Operation, Dagenham Dave, Best Friend On The Payroll and Do Your Best are all well below par.

Southpaw. Initially I thought it was just an overlong mess on an album, that runs out of good enough material after three songs. Nowadays I appreciate it a lot -- but still think the album is just half there. The Operation, Dagenham Dave, Best Friend On The Payroll and Do Your Best are all well below par.

Now Southpaw was one I took to immediately; I thought it was an absolute classic.
Teachers Are Afraid? Well I still have problems with that one.
Love Dave (it's a pop song though about a charming chav), & Payroll & DYB.

Oh, also Roy's Keen!
I love that song now, great innuendo and fantastic vocal. I adore the way he articulates words like "chancing" and "chamois" here.
Yeah it's a great song and tune for that matter, the imagery from the lyrics is very clever actually plus it's a great singalong. Hugely underrated and a real shame it got dropped for the deluxe reissue.

Now Southpaw was one I took to immediately; I thought it was an absolute classic.
Teachers Are Afraid? Well I still have problems with that one.
Love Dave (it's a pop song though about a charming chav), & Payroll & DYB.

I loved Teachers from the start. It is a great dramatic statement with which to open your album. Okay, 11 minutes is too much, 7--8 would definitely have been enough, but still. I love also Reader Meet Author and like Boy Racer, but then the album just collapses for me. Bookending your album with two 10-minute songs is a ballsy move, but the six songs sandwiched between them hint to me that he didn't ahve enough material at the time. Leaving Nobody Loves You out borders on the insane.

I loved Teachers from the start. It is a great dramatic statement with which to open your album. Okay, 11 minutes is too much, 7--8 would definitely have been enough, but still. I love also Reader Meet Author and like Boy Racer, but then the album just collapses for me. Bookending your album with two 10-minute songs is a ballsy move, but the six songs sandwiched between them hint to me that he didn't ahve enough material at the time. Leaving Nobody Loves You out borders on the insane.
Why would Morrissey put your song Nobody Loves You on his album? ?

Back
Top Bottom