What next, Morrissey?

I thought he had a deal with Penguin for 2 books: Autobiography and List of the Lost. The first was a bestseller, the second probably a disaster. So I doubt that any publisher would want to more Morrissey-penned fiction. And with his name blackmailed by social media, now is not the time for a sequel to Autobiography. Although it may make sense to have one 5 or 10 years from now, who knows?
"Blackmailed by social media"...who gives a flying f..k about 'unsocial' media? I'm certain Moz doesn't.

"Blackmailed by social media"...who gives a flying f..k about 'unsocial' media? I'm certain Moz doesn't.
Nope but he probably does give one about losing 70% of his fanbase in two years, to which the social-media sentiment will have, at least, in part contributed.

I think that a sequel to Autobiography is just as likely as a follow-up to I Am Not A Dog On A Chain. Or in other words, his chances of finding a publisher are just as slim as his chances of finding a record label in the coming years. He'd probably continue to write songs because he has always done that between record deals and it almost seems to be a necessity for him.

I agree with you that the original plan was probably to tour this record. COVID-19 is a severe blow to him, as it is to so many other artists. I assume he will resume touring when it becomes possible again, if he's still in strong voice. Part of this is wishful thinking on my behalf: I would hate to see it end so abruptly and unexpectedly. But I also can't see him cope well away from the music scene: he's burn his money on 5 star hotel suits and expensive bottles of champagne and vodka and that is such a sad thought.
5 star hotel suites, expensive bottles of champagne & vodka...where did it all go wrong?!?! ?

I thought he had a deal with Penguin for 2 books: Autobiography and List of the Lost. The first was a bestseller, the second probably a disaster. So I doubt that any publisher would want to more Morrissey-penned fiction. And with his name blackmailed by social media, now is not the time for a sequel to Autobiography. Although it may make sense to have one 5 or 10 years from now, who knows?
He seems to do alright when he sticks to:
1. non-fiction
2. writing about himself (which is, let's face it, his favourite topic)

There are surely not enough years passed since Autobio1 to warrant Autobio 2, but a complete book of his lyrics, with his own annotations explaining what they meant, what was going through his mind at the time of writing etc, would be quite popular, I would think. Pretty unlikely, but popular.

Children’s storybook surely

... but a complete book of his lyrics, with his own annotations explaining what they meant, what was going through his mind at the time of writing etc, would be quite popular, I would think. Pretty unlikely, but popular.

Now that would be something really special, but given he has written >300 songs, it would need to be done in multiple volumes, i.e. A-C, D-F, etc...and that's just his solo stuff. Add The Smiths stuff into the mix, & there's a few further volumes. Good pension fund right there for the Mozmeister.

But wouldn't it almost risk spoiling the enigma & risk being considered a big reveal? I don't think Moz does that kinda thing.

Now that would be something really special, but given he has written >300 songs, it would need to be done in multiple volumes, i.e. A-C, D-F, etc...and that's just his solo stuff. Add The Smiths stuff into the mix, & there's a few further volumes. Good pension fund right there for the Mozmeister.

But wouldn't it almost risk spoiling the enigma & risk being considered a big reveal? I don't think Moz does that kinda thing.
Oh yes, completely agree, it would ruin it. But it would still probably be a bestseller. Depends how desperate he gets for the pension fund, I guess.

Oh yes, completely agree, it would ruin it. But it would still probably be a bestseller. Depends how desperate he gets for the pension fund, I guess.

Normally I would agree. But with all the negative press on Moz lately, I am not so sure he would score something equating publishing success with any written work. Bestseller status? Maybe in Scotland, Poland..?

Normally I would agree. But with all the negative press on Moz lately, I am not so sure he would score something equating publishing success with any written work. Bestseller status? Maybe in Scotland, Poland..?

The neg press stuff is just rehash of old neg stuff, which I hardly read at all.
Nothing new; nothing remarkable; nothing in context, just click-bait shite really, published to feed the haters on a no-news day, & pulled together from archive floor clippings by lazy 'journos'.

Haha, yeah, quite possibly.

The neg press stuff is just rehash of old neg stuff, which I hardly read at all.
Nothing new; nothing remarkable; nothing in context, just click-bait shite really, published to feed the haters on a no-news day, & pulled together from archive floor clippings by lazy 'journos'.

Yes, nothing to new to the likes of us fans here, or even ardent fans that do not frequent Solo. But the casual fan is what makes the margins in the business of Moz's success.

He will always be able to sell shows at the sub-5000 seat range. He will likely be able to continue to tour without much issue. But to breakout of a niche-interest? Those days might be past.

I for one don't care. Nothing has changed for me since the beginning. If he continues to make interesting music and tour, I will likely lend attention. But even the average Solo visitor is far from the norm when it comes to music enthusiast - good or bad.

Nope but he probably does give one about losing 70% of his fanbase in two years, to which the social-media sentiment will have, at least, in part contributed.
Antisocial media is irrelevant, you can't seriously think anyone with an ounce of intelligence takes any notice of it.

Antisocial media is irrelevant, you can't seriously think anyone with an ounce of intelligence takes any notice of it.

I believe it is, sadly, relevant, because there are far too many people who follow it that do not have that 'ounce of intelligence' of which you speak, & take the likes of twitter and f/b as gospel..

Yes, nothing to new to the likes of us fans here, or even ardent fans that do not frequent Solo. But the casual fan is what makes the margins in the business of Moz's success.

He will always be able to sell shows at the sub-5000 seat range. He will likely be able to continue to tour without much issue. But to breakout of a niche-interest? Those days might be past.

I for one don't care. Nothing has changed for me since the beginning. If he continues to make interesting music and tour, I will likely lend attention. But even the average Solo visitor is far from the norm when it comes to music enthusiast - good or bad.
The whole point is that everything has changed in the last 24 months. A huge chunk of the fanbase has deserted him (no need to go over the reasons why yet again). Probably 60% to 70%. Of course it won't stop him touring but it is very much likely to stop him making new music. In 2017 he was an act that could be relied on to sell 50,000 albums in the UK - now, he may even struggle to reach 10,000. Options have closed in drastically. We'll see how drastically over the next couple of years. But, yes, the touring can obviously continue.

Retirement, but he'll claim it was a forced retirement and a vast conspiracy by NME, the Lügenpresse, and the looney left wing,
without ever stopping to consider that he's been an unholy pain in the ass to anyone who was ever patient with him and his
behavior doesn't warrant a gamble with other people's money when history shows he'd just shoot himself in the foot again.

Says the person participating in a form of social media.
I'm aware of that but only to a point as it's supposed to be a fan discussion site so if your not a fan why would you be here? Also nobody need take notice of what I've said, I won't be offended.
I'm not involved with Facebook, Twitter or any other form of 'social' media as I simply can't be bothered with any of them, they mean absolutely nothing to me.

Back
Top Bottom