What really happened ...

[email protected]

Sugar Booger
Its been a long time I know but I've always wondered why Gary Day left the band in the 90s?? Did he leave? Was he told to leave? That also brings up Spencer cobrin. He was IMO Morrisseys best drummer, live and in studio. Why did he leave? I thought he was tight with the rest of the band. And I know Alains still a part of the writing process, but what really happened that he dissappeared shortly after the YATQ release? I thought he was brilliant. Jessie is great, but so was Craig Gannon, but it would have never been the same to insert him instead of Marr. Get what I'm saying there?? Anyway, just passing some time, anyone have any credible answers for me? Thanks:confused:

there is no exact answer, its the same with the managers i think..

If Morrissey dosent like em, theyre out

As far as I know Alain is still on board. Not as a member of the LIVE band however. This is were Jessie comes in. As far as Spence...I agree. Eventhough I became a fan since Quarry but from what I've heard and seen on tapes and video, he totally drumms with passion and dedication. He drummed fast/punkwise.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to know why they left but somehow I think we never will. The only thing I heard about Gary was that he was "alledged" to have taken advantage of a few groupies and was then sacked. Then there was the rumour that he carved "wanker" on the door of moz's house. An amusing anecdote but I doubt he would have been invited to rejoin the band if that was true! As far as Spencer goes there was a story of him falling out with someone in the band but who knows? Maybe they left because the touring and recording was taking it's toll and they fancied a break? The weird and wonderful world of Morrissey...

Stanley said:
It would be interesting to know why they left but somehow I think we never will. The only thing I heard about Gary was that he was "alledged" to have taken advantage of a few groupies and was then sacked. Then there was the rumour that he carved "wanker" on the door of moz's house. An amusing anecdote but I doubt he would have been invited to rejoin the band if that was true! As far as Spencer goes there was a story of him falling out with someone in the band but who knows? Maybe they left because the touring and recording was taking it's toll and they fancied a break? The weird and wonderful world of Morrissey...

I'd love to do that.

There were the rumours of an anti-semitic comment aimed at Spencer in the studio as his stature as a Morrissey co-writer was increasing, a possible reason he left.

MC Rebbe (The Rapping Rabbi), a friend of "Spenny", drops mention of his recent work, including this feature documentary he scored:

My Child - Mothers of War

Edit:

And then 3 or 4 years after Spencer had already left, Morrissey made a cryptic comment in a magazine interview to the effect of "And then there's Spencer, who only works for me."

Last edited:
Wait I saw Moz in the last US tour and Gary was up on stage. You mean to tell me Garys not playing on this Ringleader tour???

It is specualted that in the 90s Gary was sacked because of a drug problem. When Spencer was asked about it he had no comment other than how Gary was fired: not by Moz personally.

Gin N Tonic Jil said:
Wait I saw Moz in the last US tour and Gary was up on stage. You mean to tell me Garys not playing on this Ringleader tour???

"Left" then came back.

Which US dates are these then? The ones that have not been announced yet? ;) IF there's a tour of the US I daresay he'll go ....

I met Gary after a Morrissey gig.
He told me he was fired because of his drinking and drugs problems.
He also added Morrissey was right doing that.

Stanley said:

yeah, I heard something to that effect as well, slight alteration to the insult though..

Picture025.jpg

Back
Top Bottom