whats better american or british entertainment?

whos better us/uk

• america

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • britain

Votes: 17 70.8%

• Total voters

styla

well ^^^

what country is better at producing entertainment?

entertainment includes tv, film, music, books

my dad is better than your dad.

With the exception of Seinfeld I've never really got American humour.I don't get the way a sitcom is always rounded off with a moral ending.I'd prefer an immoral one.:DI think Roseanne was typical of that.

I CAN'T CHOOSE! They both have their good and bad.

Television: British comedy is the best, with my exception being Curb Your Enthusiasm (American), which is my favourite television show of all time. (Alongside The Sopranos and Freaks and Geeks.)

Books: This is way too hard as my book collection contains a diverse mix of works from a range of nationalities. But my favourite is Oscar Wilde, so there you go.

Music: I can't choose! I'd probably say 55% American, with the remainder being from the U.K. (I'm currently listening to The Raincoats, who are from Scotland.) However, a lot of my favourite bands ever are from other countries - Refused (Sweden), Cult of Luna (Sweden), The Clean (New Zealand), Envy (Japan)...etc.

Oh, and one of my favourite films is Taxi Driver which is........American.

I'd prefer to live in the U.K though, although I do love certain parts of the States too.

But since Britain gave us Morrissey I'm gravitating more towards them. ;)

You've only got to look at On The Buses and The Carry On films to see we Brits are leaders in the best comedy films.:lbf:

On the Buses. Wasn't that on last week?

I think I taped it. :D

I love it.I love the way one of them manages to "see to" someone's wife on every round.So sexist.So politically incorrect.:thumb:

And Blakey.:lbf:

American because you can understand what they're saying. :o (I'll get better, I promise.)

Years ago my friends tried to get me into Father Ted and it just wasn't making me laugh. I thought they were laughing at it because they were trying to be Britishy, like how they sometimes are posers and wear soccer jerseys while recalling The Giants game, because they were laughing at colloquial humor that I was almost certain they couldn't understand but maybe it's just me. I don't know.

I think the main difference (in comedy) is as mentioned..... the moralistic side that American shows install.......

I remember watching programmes as a kid and there was always a moral behind each episode and whoever had fallen out always made up at the end and the audience went ''aaaawwwwwww'':barf:

Where as the UK comedy shows just ended. There was never a moral, more a dilema:lbf:

Then there is class. In the majority of UK sitcoms (in the 60's and 70's) it was all working class... the struggle to survive being the main theme.
In the USA it is all glamour and glitter..... big houses and cars, pretty wife and 'nice kids'.

Same as the soaps.... UK soaps are predominently working class..... America gave us Dallas, Dynasty etc etc... all about lifestyles we could only dream about...... UK goes for grim, USA the glamour.....

Jukebox Jury

I love it.I love the way one of them manages to "see to" someone's wife on every round.So sexist.So politically incorrect.:thumb:

And Blakey.:lbf:

:lbf: I only saw about the first 20 minutes of it, so I saw the part where they were adjusting the strap on the woman, when the conductor went into the house for a break and up to where the sister got the job in the kitchen. :D

I'll be watching the rest over the weekend (when im free from exams).

Same as the soaps.... UK soaps are predominently working class..... America gave us Dallas, Dynasty etc etc... all about lifestyles we could only dream about...... UK goes for grim, USA the glamour.....

Jukebox Jury

All good points, though the daytime soaps in America are a little bit more working class, but they still do have an element of "dreamy" to them with long-lost conjoined twin scenarios and magical midgets and stuff. Huh.

British is SO much better. I can't even watch American television. Horrible.

as far as tv, I'm gonna say American only b/c last night I came across Chappelle's show, and that shit is STILL funny, even after I've seen each episode 19 times. It was the one where they were parodying P. Diddy's show "Making the Band" and Diddy told them they had to walk to Queens to get him a sugar cookie. :rofl:

Best show ever:
flavorflavkg7.jpg

So basically, American tv wins. By far.

I remember when Flava Flav used to appear at places that would be labeled "dirt malls" in Mallrats to sign autographs to raise money for his crack habit.

Back
Top Bottom