What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

What do you think of the Pelzer trilogy?

I read them in order and I was horrified by his treatment in the first book, but David seems to be releasing new self-help books every year, and the cynic in me says he's milked the cash-cow for long enough :rolleyes:

Its a shocking story, and its horrible to think that all of it went on for so long. And similar things will be going on right now, either with noone knowing, or people turning a blind eye to it. But its great that he has turned out a fairly okay person, and has made a good life for himself. Its like a message of hope. If he can do it, so can you kinda thing.
There are off course the claims that he has over-exaggerated or made-up some parts of his life. And, I didn't know about the self help books he releases, but it could be that he is milking it a bit much...I dunno.
But, just from the books I've read, I'd say its an insight into what could be going on around you, but also shows that its possible for child victims to turn their life around, and not have it ruin them. :)

As for me....after reading The Lost Boy, I had a shift of pace, and have read Bridget Jones Diary, and am now over half way through About A Boy :)

Next, I am planning on reading The Canterville Ghost...continuing my trek through The Complete Works Of Oscar Wilde :)

A Mind For Murder: The Education of the Unabomber and the Origins of Modern Terrorism By Alston Chase. It's brilliant.

I Swear I Was There by David Nolan.

A really outstanding account of the infamous Sex Pistols gig at the Lesser Free Trade Hall in Manchester, on 4th June, 1976. Although there was only about 100 people in attendance, this gig changed the face of music forever as it inspired many of the audience to do it themselves. The audience included Tony Wilson, Morrissey, future members of Joy Division, Buzzcocks, The Fall and others. The author tells the tale of how the gig happened and interviewed many of the people who really were there. The book includes photos taken at the gig, pics of the original home-made tickets and posters. It goes on to include the Sex Pistols 2nd gig at the same venue six weeks later and their notorious first ever TV appearance on Granada TV. The rest, as they say, is history! Without this gig - we wouldn't be here. Unfortunately, Morrissey refused to participate and the author even got a letter from his lawyers (which he hung up in his toilet), but he does get several mentions throughout the book. This site even gets a mention - "Fabulously catty site largely populated by mean-minded Moz obsessives. Snidey, self-aggrandising and wonderful" An outstanding read that I can't recommend highly enough. :D

I am reading To The Lighthouse, Virginia Woolf. It is beautifully nostalgic, yet emotionally poignant and melancholy.

The Mark E Smith autobiography whose name escapes me at the moment. it should have been titled "RANT" Some mention of Grant Showbiz (hippy forgot his roots) Morrissey (nothing too disingenuous thus far) and other assorted bods. Joe Strummer, Bob Geldof and Tony Wilson and his ex-band members have had much venom directed at them but Paul Morley is his uber pet hate at the moment.

Funny book. If you like reading pub rants!

n128923.jpg

I'm really enjoying it so far :)

What Is Everyone Reading At The Moment?

Yep, I'm curious. The first thing I do when visiting a new friend is look at their books to get a fix on them. I know I have a problem on my hands when I see the complete first editions of Danielle Steel. I'm such a snob. :p

Tags
books wit no pitchers but not much more just fuck off literary ponces long live books more to life than books nerds n squares obscurer and obscurer shakespeare is smart
Back
Top Bottom