What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

as I mentioned in my journal :rolleyes: I have been reading:
anathem-neal-stephenson-cover.jpg

for the third time :o this time I finished it :straightface: which makes me both happy & sad :squiffy:
happy because it was such a great book to read :blushing: sad because its over now :tears:
tomorrow I start reading:
Rainbowcover.jpg

Just like Heaven - Julia Quinn

Great so far. I can relate to the characters.

"Under the Ivy: The Life & Music of Kate Bush" by Graeme Thomson.

De Profundis by Oscar Wilde.

What Is To Be Done? by Nikolay Chernyshevsky.

I'm re-reading for around the third time "Adam's Breed" by Radclyffe Hall. It possibly has the honour of being my favourite book of all time, and I've read many many books. Readers of Hall always acknowledge her novel "The Well of Loneliness", but I've found that a drab old read. This is much better.

The copy I've borrowed from the library has old date due stamp and borrower's card record in the back of the book. Of course library books are all bar-coded for issuing these days, but it's nice to find reminders in today's world of a pre-silicon chip that it wasn't always like this.

Attachments

• IMG_1052[1].jpg
    IMG_1052[1].jpg
    494.2 KB · Views: 2
Lord of the Flies. I have to read it for school. Not my kind of book. I have stack of library books I would rather be reading.

220px-Into-the-wild.jpg

Into The Wild

The true story of the tragic Chris McCandless, a young man who'd had enough of society and materialism and government. He decided to create a new life for himself in the wilderness of Alaska; he gave his savings to Oxfam, burnt all his money and just set off in the pursuit to be free and really live.

He spent over 100 days in Alaska, completely alone. The book is beautifully written by Jon Krakauer, who originally wrote a magazine article when Chris's corpse was discovered in the abandoned bus that he made his home. Krakauer then spent a year following his trail, meeting his friends and piecing together his story.

The film of the same name was superbly adapted, produced and directed by Sean Penn and released in 2007. Both the book and film come very highly recommended by me.

I think mental illness would have probably been diagnosed, but it is possible. You're absolutely right that he was ill-prepared for his journey - a 10lb bag of rice and other oddments is woefully inadequate for surviving in the wild. The imdb story is very interesting, I've never heard of that. The extras on the DVD are very good, his parents and family were on set for part of the filming, as were some of his friends, so I reckon much of the film was as authentic as possible. All of the filming was shot in the actual places he visited. I'm not sure if he had a death wish, though. He did try to leave the wilderness, but the river was too dangerous to try to cross. Shame he didn't keep his map, and tragic that he ate the wrong plant seeds. At least he tried.

Tags
books wit no pitchers but not much more just fuck off literary ponces long live books more to life than books nerds n squares obscurer and obscurer shakespeare is smart
Back
Top Bottom