What's your prediction for first week (UK) sales of California Son?

What's your prediction for first week (UK) sales of California Son?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Predicting the chart position is a bit pointless. Two weeks ago, number one sold about 10,000, last week it sold about 70,000. But how many sales do you think CS will achieve?
Airplay for singles tends to be the fuel that powers album sales. Radio 2 has A-listed Wedding Bells (as they did for Spent...) and made CS album of the week (they didn't do that for LIHS).
But no other station is touching the single or the album.
And there has been a ton of bad press about Steve recently (understatement of the year). There was quite a bit of bad publicity when LIHS was released (the Der Spiegel scandal had just kicked off).
We'll have a very good idea of likely sales on Monday evening (5pm UK time) so try and vote before then.

Those are so low. Didn’t Ringleader sell over 60k in its first week?

It did indeed, and Quarry shifted over 70,000 (Refusal around 40,000 I think).
Album sales generally have plummeted in the last 10 years.
I don't think CS has a chance of outselling Low in High School as the single from the latter got a lot more airplay, and bad feeling towards Steve is currently the greatest it's ever been by far.

It did indeed, and Quarry shifted over 70,000 (Refusal around 40,000 I think).
Album sales generally have plummeted in the last 10 years.
I don't think CS has a chance of outselling Low in High School as the single from the latter got a lot more airplay, and bad feeling towards Steve is currently the greatest it's ever been by far.

Wow. What a sad fall from grace tho in terms of sales and popularity. A lot of people think i hate moz on here. Couldn’t be further from the truth. To see how he’s just f***ed himself, and continues to f*** himself to the point where where 10k sales is not even assured, it’s real sad from my point of view. The self sabotage is strong in him.

Wow. What a sad fall from grace tho in terms of sales and popularity. A lot of people think i hate moz on here. Couldn’t be further from the truth. To see how he’s just f***ed himself, and continues to f*** himself to the point where where 10k sales is not even assured, it’s real sad from my point of view. The self sabotage is strong in him.

Hmm, not quite as bad as it seems. It's a trend among artists, generally, and particularly for those of his background generation. Even the likes of U2 and Paul Weller wjo were always massively more popular than Morrissey only sell around 20,000-30,000 in their first week these days. However, if California Son sells as few as around 10,000 in week 1, that will really suggest people are deserting him in droves.

Poorly phrased poll.
It could sell 11.000 and still enter at number 2.
Which would make it Moz’s best charting album after VH, Vauxhall and Ringleader.

Of course the decline is general sales for physical product also affects Moz, so to think that it could outsell LIHS or WP is a bit silly I think.

If it sells 10,000-18,000 it will have done perfectly allright.

Poorly phrased poll.
Which would make it Moz’s best charting album after VH, Vauxhall and Ringleader.

Of course the decline is general sales for physical product also affects Moz, so to think that it could outsell LIHS or WP is a bit silly I think.

The UK charts have included downloads as well as physical purchases since 2006. I reckon 10 to 18K.

Poorly phrased poll.

If it sold 11k that would be embarrassing. This is Morrissey we’re talking about, an f***in icon and a legend, he should be selling 50-60k. You’s have been saying all week the controversy with Spillers & Merseyrail will only gain him new fans and improve his sales.

You're forgetting this is a cover album.......it's never going to sell huge copies.

No ones forgetting. There’s been nothing but rave reviews from fans (on here), it’s got more buzz than his last solo album. So that’s no excuse. His sales figures are shit because the musics shit. Simple as that. That’s more of a problem than the bad publicity. People will follow a controversial artist, no bother, as long as the music is good. Morrissey hasn’t brought out a good record since 2006! People know what they’re listening to. It’s only the suck arses on here that blindly praise everything he’s ever done, even if it’s garbage. The wider public take one listen of the lead single and are turned right off, hence don’t get hooked, hence don’t buy, hence shit sales. Hence Morrissey is finito.

No ones forgetting. There’s been nothing but rave reviews from fans (on here), it’s got more buzz than his last solo album. So that’s no excuse. His sales figures are shit because the musics shit. Simple as that. That’s more of a problem than the bad publicity. People will follow a controversial artist, no bother, as long as the music is good. Morrissey hasn’t brought out a good record since 2006! People know what they’re listening to. It’s only the suck arses on here that blindly praise everything he’s ever done, even if it’s garbage. The wider public take one listen of the lead single and are turned right off, hence don’t get hooked, hence don’t buy, hence shit sales. Hence Morrissey is finito.

People said the same thing in the 90's. He came back. All great artists make dodgy music at some point in time. All the greats have. Who cares about the wider public anyway? Buy it, don't buy it............snooze.

If it sold 11k that would be embarrassing. This is Morrissey we’re talking about, an f***in icon and a legend, he should be selling 50-60k. You’s have been saying all week the controversy with Spillers & Merseyrail will only gain him new fans and improve his sales.
You clearly have no idea of the sales figures in the UK at the moment. Many big names barely sell 20,000 in their first week these days. Yet they still enter the UK charts in the top-5. Johnny Marr only sells 7,000-8,000 and he enters the top 10.
Morrissey’s last albums have had really strong first week sales, which in many week would have meant a number 1 record.
California Son has had poor reviews (in the UK at least), has not had as big a lead-off single as Spent the Day in Bed, and features no new Moz-material. Add to that the diminishing sales in general and it will be a impossible for this to sell more than the last two.

You clearly have no idea of the sales figures in the UK at the moment. Many big names barely sell 20,000 in their first week these days. Yet they still enter the UK charts in the top-5. Johnny Marr only sells 7,000-8,000 and he enters the top 10.
Morrissey’s last albums have had really strong first week sales, which in many week would have meant a number 1 record.
California Son has had poor reviews (in the UK at least), has not had as big a lead-off single as Spent the Day in Bed, and features no new Moz-material. Add to that the diminishing sales in general and it will be a impossible for this to sell more than the last two.

You’re right, I had no idea they were that low, i’m clearly living in the past. What was the best selling album in 2018, in terms of first week sales?

Ed Sheeran I would say, followed by Drake and Ariana Grande.
Icons and legends like Weller or McCartney also only barely had 20,000 first week sales, entering at 2 and 3 respectively.

You’re right, I had no idea they were that low, i’m clearly living in the past. What was the best selling album in 2018, in terms of first week sales?

Not 2018 but in 17 Liam Gallagher had 103K first week sales in Oct, which was more than the rest of the top 10 put together according to wikipedia.

>:handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft:<
sold 8000 TOTAL COPIES!!!:screamcat:

after dismal ticket sales and record sales, isnt time for Mr Cometry to go back to playing guitar for some sucky group like he did before:flushed:

maybe suede.

or start 'another supergroup' composed of unknowns with Hooky?:hearteyes:

It is a covers album, and I think it will mainly speak to his fans who want to dig deeper into his musical influences and his interprétations. But his fan base in the UK is declining, so he will be lucky to shift somewhere between 10 and 15 thousand. Less than 10 thousand would really be a severe blow to his career.

I personally think the album will do better in the US: he covers American songwriters with the support of some decent American acts and the reactions to his political views are not as strong there.

first week sales should be Friday to Friday,if the charts are out at five tomorrow then that's on four days sales,its a bank holiday weekend as well,hundreds of thousands of people are abroad and some people may buy it when they get back.

Back
Top Bottom