What's your prediction for first week (UK) sales of California Son?

What's your prediction for first week (UK) sales of California Son?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
If its a bank holiday, then the figures may come on Tuesday. Anyway with all the preorders and stuff I expect at least 80 percent of the first week sales should be registered by Tuesday.

first week sales should be Friday to Friday,if the charts are out at five tomorrow then that's on four days sales,its a bank holiday weekend as well,hundreds of thousands of people are abroad and some people may buy it when they get back.

Radio airplay makes a big difference when it comes to distribution of sales. If there's very little, nearly all the sales (80%) will take place in the first 2 or 3 days. If there's tons, this powers sales of the album strongly through the week. Although R2 are playing Wedding Bells, no-one else is touching it so it's still out of the top 40 on airplay chart. Most of the sales will therefore be frontloaded.

California Son has had poor reviews (in the UK at least), has not had as big a lead-off single as Spent the Day in Bed, and features no new Moz-material. Add to that the diminishing sales in general and it will be a impossible for this to sell more than the last two.

They've been no worse than the Low In High School reviews - almost the same in fact i.e. most giving 2 or 3 stars (our of 5) with a handful going lower/higher.
Also, Radio 2 has made CS album of the week - they unusually did not do that for LIHS. The bad vibes were kicking off by the time LIHS had been released with the Die Spiegel nonsense and his stupid comments about Anne Walters and the UKIP election. But the negativity towards him has probably multiplied tenfold since then with all the stupid stuff he's said and done since, peaking in the recent 'Pingate' which has probably had a huge impact on people's perceptions as it's a clear visual image of his support for toxic, ignorant right-wing politics.

In my heart... it has already gone gold.

and that’s all that matters.

:):cool:

They've been no worse than the Low In High School reviews - almost the same in fact i.e. most giving 2 or 3 stars (our of 5) with a handful going lower/higher.
Also, Radio 2 has made CS album of the week - they unusually did not do that for LIHS. The bad vibes were kicking off by the time LIHS had been released with the Die Spiegel nonsense and his stupid comments about Anne Walters and the UKIP election. But the negativity towards him has probably multiplied tenfold since then with all the stupid stuff he's said and done since, peaking in the recent 'Pingate' which has probably had a huge impact on people's perceptions as it's a clear visual image of his support for toxic, ignorant right-wing politics.

True. But they’re ultimately flopping cos the material is shit. There was such a buzz when he came back with World Peace, then the singles were released, and it’s was like “meh, is that it”, (speaking for myself here, btw). I bought the album, bought the Orange vinyl, done my bit, but I never warmed to it. Haven’t listened to it in about 4 years. That’s when the music died for me. And LIHS was ten times worse, again, lead single, was wank. I was literally bored with the album before it even began. But again, bought a gazillion different coloured vinyl versions. And now a decent, but not great covers album, we’ve been served up a lot of shit to be honest. Of course ‘pingate’ and those other meltdown’s he’s had, are alienating some fans, but bottom line is, if the music was still good, they’d still buy it. It’s so much easier to abandon your artist over the aforementioned controversies when the music isn’t that great anymore.

In my heart... it has already gone gold.

and that’s all that matters.

:):cool:

Yes, it’s a 10/10, and WPINOYB is a 10/10, and LIHS is a 10/10. Everything is flawless in Morrissey land, according to you. If you were an honest fan you’d cut the shit and stop assisting his career suicide. Mass amounts of fans like you accepting garbage material and still telling him he’s God. You’s are year on year assisting him in lowering the bar. Why don’t you just be honest, go back and listen to his older stuff, and tell me it isn’t a million miles away from the rubbish he’s now producing.

Yes, it’s a 10/10, and WPINOYB is a 10/10, and LIHS is a 10/10. Everything is flawless in Morrissey land, according to you. If you were an honest fan you’d cut the shit and stop assisting his career suicide. Mass amounts of fans like you accepting garbage material and still telling him he’s God. You’s are year on year assisting him in lowering the bar. Why don’t you just be honest, go back and listen to his older stuff, and tell me it isn’t a million miles away from the rubbish he’s now producing.
That’s just the kind of nostalgia we can do without. Have you heard Kill Uncle or Maladjusted or Southpaw Grammar? Lots of lesser tracks on those as well. Even on Your Arsenal or Quarry there are weaker moments. No, his latest albums aren’t perfect. But how many artists do you know who still release challenging records 35 years into their careers, let alone career highs?
That’s not what I expect from Moz at this stage.

Moz still has a really high profile, and his albums are still enjoyable to many people. They are not to you. Fine, listen to the old songs then, but stop telling people to not enjoy his current output.

That’s just the kind of nostalgia we can do without. Have you heard Kill Uncle or Maladjusted or Southpaw Grammar? Lots of lesser tracks on those as well. Even on Your Arsenal or Quarry there are weaker moments. No, his latest albums aren’t perfect. But how many artists do you know who still release challenging records 35 years into their careers, let alone career highs?
That’s not what I expect from Moz at this stage.

Moz still has a really high profile, and his albums are still enjoyable to many people. They are not to you. Fine, listen to the old songs then, but stop telling people to not enjoy his current output.

Look, I’m not the arbitrator of what good and bad music is. It’s all just personal opinions. But, Maladjusted is a masterpiece compared to any of his last 3. Even laffy taffy tracks like Roy’s Keen & Satan Rejected My Soul, are better than anything on his last 3 albums, and I’d call those songs weak-ish. Alma Matters beats anything on his last 3. Trouble Loves Me & Wide To Receive, are definitely up there with the best stuff hes’s EVER done. I’m not a fan of Southpaw in its entirety but it’s creatively sound and I can appreciate it. Not a fan of Kill Uncle either, but it’s fun and got plenty of character, and flashes of brilliance with Mute Witness & End Of The Family. There ain’t no more flashes anymore, it’s just dull, dull, dull, bore, bore, bore. (And I wasn’t telling anyone to stop listening to the new stuff. Just refresh your memory once in a while and be honest about what you’re listening to)

According to you it’s dull, dull, dull.
According to a lot of Smiths fans Maladjusted, or even Kill Uncle, was dull, dull, dull.
That’s just the way it goes, and it’s just personal opinion. That’s why I asked you: how many artists do you know who still release challenging records 35 years into their careers, let alone career highs?
Or for that matter how many new artists do you know who release albums of the same quality of Moz’s? I don’t know many and for me Morrissey will always be in a league of his own because he’s actually the only one that still releases strong and succesfull albums 35 years after the first.

Yes, it’s a 10/10, and WPINOYB is a 10/10, and LIHS is a 10/10. Everything is flawless in Morrissey land, according to you. If you were an honest fan you’d cut the shit and stop assisting his career cide. Mass amounts of fans like you accepting garbage material and still telling him he’s God. You’s are year on year assisting him in lowering the bar. Why don’t you just be honest, go back and listen to his older stuff, and tell me it isn’t a million miles away from the rubbish he’s now producing.

Link to where I said it was ‘10/10 and flawless?

God ? really ?

Why would I want to compare his work with a different band, or earlier solo work?

I enjoy what it is now in the present moment, unlike you I’m listening/enjoying the
music, but you seem to be comparing judging it and looking for flaws, with thoughts like those you’re not even in the moment actually immersing yourself in and therefore listening to the music.

Ommmmm

It is what is, man.

Enjoy it, or use the door.

:cool:

Link to where I said it was ‘10/10 and flawless?

God ? really ?

Why would I want to compare his work with a different band, or earlier solo work?

I enjoy what it is now in the present moment, unlike you I’m listening/enjoying the
music, but you seem to be comparing judging it and looking for flaws, with thoughts like those you’re not even in the moment actually immersing yourself in and therefore listening to the music.

Ommmmm

It is what is, man.

Enjoy it, or use the door.

:cool:

Stop over analysing. The new stuff’s shit.

a prediction?

The new album is amazing, but Nostradamus asked me if he can borrow my crystal ball.. So I do not have one for this week.
I will make a prediction once Nostradamus brings back my crystal ball... or I may join a group of Spiritists and we'll channel Elvis and we'll ask him.

I think California Son will debut at number 7. @ordinaryboy86 So you didn't like Home Is A Question Mark, Staircase At The University, Arthounds, It's Not Your Birthday Anymore?

I think California Son will debut at number 7. @ordinaryboy86 So you didn't like Home Is A Question Mark, Staircase At The University, Arthounds, It's Not Your Birthday Anymore?

Decent. Not great.

I think #7 would be a flop. Like I said previously, it’s a quiet week in the charts from what I can see. He should be aiming for #2 or #3 at least, especially with all the new fans you said he’s gained.

Decent. Not great.

I think #7 would be a flop. Like I said previously, it’s a quiet week in the charts from what I can see. He should be aiming for #2 or #3 at least, especially with all the new fans you said he’s gained.

Naw, anything outside the top 10 is a flop. Malajusted and Kill Uncle, both his lowest charting albums both reached number 8.

Viva Hate: 1
Bona Drag: 9
Kill Uncle: 8
Your Arsenal: 4
Beethoven: 13
Vauxhall: 1
World of: 15
Southpaw: 4
Maladjusted: 8
Quarry: 2
Earls Court: 18
Ringleader: 1
Greatest Hits: 5
Refusal: 3
World Peace: 2
Low in High School: 5

Number 1 would be gigantic.
2-5 would be a success
6-10 would be weak
Out of top-10 would be a defeat.

Viva Hate: 1
Bona Drag: 9
Kill Uncle: 8
Your Arsenal: 4
Beethoven: 13
Vauxhall: 1
World of: 15
Southpaw: 4
Maladjusted: 8
Quarry: 2
Earls Court: 18
Ringleader: 1
Greatest Hits: 5
Refusal: 3
World Peace: 2
Low in High School: 5

Number 1 would be gigantic.
2-5 would be a success
6-10 would be weak
Out of top-10 would be a defeat.

Surely it's more about sales than chart position? Someone can get to number 1 with 10k sales one week whereas some else may be number 1 the week after with 100k sales. Last weeks a good example, Lewis Capaldi got to number 1 with a shitload of sales with the National at number 2. If the National had released their album the pervious week it would probably have been number 1.

Surely it's more about sales than chart position? Someone can get to number 1 with 10k sales one week whereas some else may be number 1 the week after with 100k sales. Last weeks a good example, Lewis Capaldi got to number 1 with a shitload of sales with the National at number 2. If the National had released their album the pervious week it would probably have been number 1.

Exactly.

But just as a pointless side note. Morrissey’s average chart position is 3.5, for his solo albums.

Back
Top Bottom