When you first became a fan.....

Exactly this. The boy who played the Smiths for me first told me they'd just broken up, so that was that, and my mouth gaped in a "no fair" expression. He said I might like the Housemartins or Lloyd Cole as a substitute. Uh, no.

Yeah, the guy that played them for me put Strangeways on when we were skating a ramp in my friend's backyard, and said we would like it but they just broke up. I remember I knew who they were when I was even younger because I used to go over to my cousin's house, and he had the LP's. I didn't know anything about them, but I used to sit and stare at the covers, and get mesmerized by them, especially TQID.

They weren't bad, until right after Achtung Baby, when they completely lost their minds, the thread, and all integrity.

Hmmmm, I kind of agree with that. Achtung Baby still stands up as a good album to me now. After that they became even more parodies of parodies of their own parodies.

This.

Got 'into him' late 2006. Just missed him playing in Greenock!! :(

Greenock was great! He threw the set list out that night and it's now framed and on me wall :)

Exactly this. The boy who played the Smiths for me first told me they'd just broken up, so that was that, and my mouth gaped in a "no fair" expression. He said I might like the Housemartins or Lloyd Cole as a substitute. Uh, no.

Give Lloyd with or without The Commotions a chance if you haven't already, Pregsy, Rather good :)

Last edited:
my brother was going to CMU in Pittsburgh at the time-- around 1985-- his artsy friends listened to Prefab Sprout, Cure, Smiths... his friends had a large subway poster of Meat is Murder hanging in their dorm room.

I had to know who these Smiths were. I saw them in P'burgh in '86. WOW! Been a fan ever since. Favorite album is by far Vauxhall. That's the measuring stick I hold his other albums to.

Ringleader Of The Tormentors :o

My dad got a tape of You Are The Quarry a few months after it was released. I listened to it over and over again until it broke! :(

Then I bought every Morrissey and Smiths album just in time for the release of ROTT! :D

Greenock was great! He threw the set list out that night and it's now framed and on me wall :)

Where are you from? Greenock is my home town, so I'm seriously gutted I missed that gig. Sitting in your local boozer, then just walk over to the gig to see your idol. Magic.

Of course at the time I'd have been too young for the pub so I can't really complain. :p

London 0 Hull 4 was also an integral part of my adolescence, fortunately or unfortunately, whichever way you look at it.

Where are you from? Greenock is my home town, so I'm seriously gutted I missed that gig. Sitting in your local boozer, then just walk over to the gig to see your idol. Magic.

Of course at the time I'd have been too young for the pub so I can't really complain. :p

From Dublin. Myself and my mate went over for Sterling and did Glasgow also. Sterling was one of the best Moz gigs I ever attended. We sat in what was probably your local boozer and then went over :)

I became a fan at the time that "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" was released, so the next release I eagerly awaited was "William, It Was Really Nothing". The first album release date I pined over was Meat Is Murder.

Back
Top Bottom