Where now for Morrissey?

Yes, i often think that myself, it would be good to have it all in one place.

The problem may be, he has had so many labels, who owns it all?
Yeah that is an issue but I guess other artists do it so where there's a will and all that.

Yes, i often think that myself, it would be good to have it all in one place.

The problem may be, he has had so many labels, who owns it all?

I'm sure i did hear something a few years ago about a Robbie duet, but Morrissey never replied apparently?

I would LOVE to see him on Celebrity Big Brother. It would be car-crash TV!!

Marr would never agree to a Smiths reunion, he's too pious these days.
im sure he wouldnt consider himself a celebrity and he likes his own company too much.

Let’s see him play some shows and let that be a test of public opinion. I see him still recording because why not. I’d like to hear I am not a dog on a chain live myself

That's what I'd like to see. I've been watching all Alain Whytes acoustic covers lately and I'd love for them to do an acoustic focused album

Johnny Cash's American Recordings are the kind of vibe I think would be cool to explore
I think if Moz were to do an acoustic album, or even more than one, given how extensive his superb complete works catalogue is (they could be phased in over a number of years), they would be the perfect career outro. Fans would love them, collectors would fight for them, & he'd leave on a complete musical, & career, high. Brilliant. Go Morrissey.

And then come back with a brilliant new album & double six everyone! Ha!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I keep trying to get discussion going on here, with success on some, not so much on others. Sadly a lot of time ends up getting wasted arguing with 2 or 3 tossers, but I do my best.

So, where do people think Morrissey’s career is heading now? He hasn’t got a record deal as far as I know, he’s a media pariah because of the ‘woke’ left, so many probably won’t want to sign him & let’s face it, he isn’t getting any younger.

Do people think he’ll release any more albums? The last one was one of his best for a while, so it could be a good place to bow out?
To object to Morrissey actively promoting far-right politics and declaring that he prefers his own race, you don't have to be woke. You just have to be not a total twat. The career-low sales for Dog were nothing to with the quality of the album - it's one of his best for years. Its to do with a British radio boycott, particularly the BBC who continue to playlist all his peers from the 1980s, and even Cliff Richard (aged 80)'s new single.
The live shows can continue indefinitely albeit to a considerably reduced audience. If he wants a decent record deal, and to have new songs played on BBC, ever again, he needs to apologise for his unbelievable political stupidity/naivety of 2018/2019 and retract his unambiguous support for far right politics whether that's Tom Robinson or For Britain. If he doesn't, the downward trajectory continues. The ball is entirely in his court.

Let’s see him play some shows and let that be a test of public opinion. I see him still recording because why not. I’d like to hear I am not a dog on a chain live myself
He'll always get a great live reception. I think his live fanbase is more or less the same age as him, so as long as they live, he will.....

I think if Moz were to do an acoustic album, or even more than one, given how extensive his superb complete works catalogue is (they could be phased in over a number of years), they would be the perfect career outro. Fans would love them, collectors would fight for them, & he'd leave on a complete musical, & career, high. Brilliant. Go Morrissey.

And then come back with a brilliant new album & double six everyone!
He deserves to be held up there in the same high regard that people like Bowie are. Or Paul Weller. He's made as much of an imprint on modern music as they have, IMO.

He deserves to be held up there in the same high regard that people like Bowie are. Or Paul Weller. He's made as much of an imprint on modern music as they have, IMO.
Tbh SR, I've never been a Bowie fan. I know some adore him, even on here, but apart from a few tracks, I had no real interest.

Weller? Yes, loved some of The Jam stuff (Sound Affects was the best for me) & Stanley Road was brilliant album, BUT, Morrissey is the main man as far as I'm concerned.

He's made more of an impression on me, in many ways, than any other artist, & that's saying something.

Tbh SR, I've never been a Bowie fan. I know some adore him, even on here, but apart from a few tracks, I had no real interest.

Weller? Yes, loved some of The Jam stuff (Sound Affects was the best for me) & Stanley Road was brilliant album, BUT, Morrissey is the main man as far as I'm concerned.

He's made more of an impression on me, in many ways, than any other artist, & that's saying something.
I agree with you re Bowie & Weller; i have greatest hits albums by both but not particularly a big fan. But they were/are held up as great figureheads of 'recent' music in a way Morrissey isn't really.

And as you say, has probably made more of an impression on many people.

Scrap that. Difficult enough for band and crew to get paid.

The never paid companies.

yeah that’s gotta be expensive and hard to manage. An acoustic record might be interesting. It would be interesting to hear morrissey again with a more personal intimate sound but I’m always concerned that when people say acoustic they mean stripped down or reduced either in tempo or arrangements and I don’t think I’d like to see it go that way

There are a number of options he could take now. He could tout around the big labels for another deal, but that may take too long. Alternatively he could go for a smaller label or found his own as Fairport Convention have done and other older artists. A radical step would be to re-found the Smiths as the huge, lucrative deal that would get would be two fingers to his critics. Marr would be up for it.

Back
Top Bottom