Who is Bobby?

Do we know?

I’ve narrowed it down to either Bobby Short or Rob Halford. :lbf:

I’m guessing it’s a merging of different characters including himself.

Someone hiding their addiction or sexuality or both because they are ashamed of it (?) Also made me think of Willam Burroughs, but, they also ‘sing’, and William wasn’t a singer, nor was he ashamed of anything he had done.

Do we know?

Actually, the other day I was wondering if anyone knew who the girl in ‘Girl Least Likely To’ is? Since Morrissey has said that it was a real person in his life.

Anyone?

Bobby Hatfield?

"The pleasure you bring to us whenever you sing for us" -- Bobby Hatfield is one of Morrissey's favourite singers. If the song is about drugs, Hatfield died from a heart attack brought on by cocaine use.

Reckon he is the California Son's best friend from High School Bobby Mulligan. Bobby was the point guard with the California Son being the shooting guard on the 1978 Hollywood High basketball team that went undefeated and won the LA City Central League Championship m8 fancy an Indian chipper curry c*** tit paying $600 dollars online for a pair of Levis 501's inn n nn nnn n nn n nnnnnn n nnnn it.

Who honestly cares anyway? Token gestures change nothing we don’t already know.

Afaict, the song seems to be about a rock musician who develops a drug problem, but is cautioned not to expect sympathy and kindness from the people he works with, because such people are typically self-interested bastards.

I wonder if it was originally titled 'Bobby, You Have Left the Smiths'.

Do we know?

This has been solved in another thread. But just in case you haven't seen it, Bobby is Bobby Ewing. Morrissey was a MASSIVE Dallas fan. Bobby was on drugs, fell into a drug fuelled coma and died.

The trouble is it's nobody. This is why it's an easy ploy to name somebody. We can all expostulate on who it might be. It's a name he plucked out of thin air. Now we're all wondering who it is. It's nobody. It's a lazy way of making your song mean more than it does. But I still love him.

Dale, it's Bobby Hatfield. Righteous Brothers. Don't worry, we wasn't ginger. Bobby didn't think they knew.

Back
Top Bottom