Who is "Nobody Loves Us" about?

JD93

I may be missing something that is glaringly obvious but I have never quite worked this out. Who is the song about? I heard that it being the B-side to "Dagenham Dave" is significant, but being me I still don't quite get it. :(

Someone pointed out that it's about Kray Twins which is very interesting.

Someone pointed out that it's about Kray Twins which is very interesting.

I can't see it myself - Morrissey's interest in the Kray Twins seemed to lie in the fact that they did have a very large degree of fame, rather than being unloved; in interviews he was always on about their glamorous nature.

I think it's a very touching tribute to teenagers and teenage-hood.

That's very interesting - certainly the mentions of 'call us home, kiss our cheeks', 'practising trouble-makers' and the proud 'four days of stubble' back that up. He does seem to be talking about some more specific group of people - certainly male and working class. The line 'people think all we do is lie around and think of how rich we'd be if we didn't think life could improve' is interesting, perhaps suggesting they don't care too much for money, but then if they are 'useless and shiftless and jobless' they surely would need some money. Obviously rich might not necessarily equate to money...

Isn't "us" a Northern-ism? Stands in for "me?" As in, "give us a kiss." It's a colloquial "me" which refers back to the idea of home and the kind of acceptance one supposedly gets there. I think. Unquestioning coziness, all failures welcome. Your mother still loves you, no matter what.

It's about the youth of England, the young men in particular, who appear to be rough and vaguely criminal. I'm trying to write a sentence that does not include the words soft, vulnerable, or sensitive, but those are the qualities he is celebrating.

Last edited:
I may be missing something that is glaringly obvious but I have never quite worked this out. Who is the song about? I heard that it being the B-side to "Dagenham Dave" is significant, but being me I still don't quite get it. :(

I always assumed it was about Morrissey and the band. But I think it could be widened out to mean Moz disciples and social outsiders generally.

Isn't "us" a Northern-ism? Stands in for "me?" As in, "give us a kiss." It's a colloquial "me" which refers back to the idea of home and the kind of acceptance one supposedly gets there. I think. Unquestioning coziness, all failures welcome. Your mother still loves you, no matter what.

Yes, but unfortunately the lyric also uses plurals that aren't collquialisms for "me". Such as "Dab hands at trouble".

cheers

i'm wondering about the 'Mute Witness'

serious,Ithink Morrissey sings in 'we'mode

It's IMHO the issue he sung about a lot, nobody is there for me, understand me, unlovable, relations are there to finish.
Nobody loves me the way I'm thinking/living, and that's why I can't be
loved

I think there's not that much to say about it, than it's a great song, bit
like 'Lost'

Obvious - Dagenham Dave: "Everyone loves him, I see why".

cheers

Unquestioning coziness, all failures welcome. Your mother still loves you, no matter what.

I hear that too, a guarantee of belonging regardless of the quality of life or relationships. There's an amazing bi-polar message in the song, of fond forgiveness side by side with rage deploring the dumb dependencies of these lost go-with-the-flow souls.

It's about the youth of England, the young men in particular, who appear to be rough and vaguely criminal. I'm trying to write a sentence that does not include the words soft, vulnerable, or sensitive, but those are the qualities he is celebrating.

Probably the sub-set of outsiders he suggested the song might be about in the Japanese interview posted by sistasheila.

moz was questioned about the song (who the "us" is)in an japanese interview in dec 95
and this he answered:
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showpost.php?p=1266712&postcount=36
(second pic , top, left side)

Thanks

Funny! In the liner notes to the re-issued Southpaw Grammer Morrissey said: " Nobody Loves Us is the continued psychologizing from the long and narrow solitary bed - wherein lies the caress. There seems to be no way to deal with the unresolved drumming of the heart, so do your best ... and don't worry".

i'm wondering about the 'Mute Witness'

serious,Ithink Morrissey sings in 'we'mode

It's IMHO the issue he sung about a lot, nobody is there for me, understand me, unlovable, relations are there to finish.
Nobody loves me the way I'm thinking/living, and that's why I can't be
loved

I think there's not that much to say about it, than it's a great song, bit
like 'Lost'

Mute Witness, I think that is about a crime. "it would have been so clear if she never volunteered" She( a kid?) witnessed some crime, which the police may have thought they solved until she 'tried to tell them what she saw'
Cops don't understand, feel bad for her but also impatient, and send her home ("your cab's here"). Set against a very upbeat melody.

The song is obviously about Moz's fans, isn't it? I very much doubt that 'teenage toughs' would care about 'stuffing their faces with cake', and the quality of 'Homemade jam' would they? I've always assumed that Morrissey is in fact singing in the voice of his followers, 'useless, shiftless and jobless, but we're all yours' surely it doesn't get any clearer than that? And, of course, it includes a healthy dose of homo-eroticism!

nobody loves us is a very english northern song , every where here has its fair share of men in their late twenties and thirties for whom time never moves on, they never seem to marry or progress in life always moving from the pub to the bookies and only being loved by their mums, its about them.

Back
Top Bottom