Whose new album are you most looking forward to - Morrissey's or Johnny Marr's?

Whose new album are you most looking forward to?

• Total voters
"looking forward to" is a bit strong, but oh well, I mean, even if "the new album" is terrible, I'll still listen to it a few times
for gosh sakes, its Morrissey were talkin about after all!
and besides, amazing things can happen in a studio with the right producer, engineer and what not, right?

It's a nice idea that the right producer and engineer can turn so-so songs into masterpieces but it just doesn't work like that.
Vauxhall and I is considered to be Morrissey's best ever album, Maladjusted is considered one of his worst (if not the worst). Yet, the producer, Steve Lillywhite, was the same for both albums.
If anything, quite a few Morrissey songs actually get worse when they're recorded compared with the live versions e.g. We Hate it When and Jack the Ripper (although JTR was considerably rearranged live - it wasn't just the 'liveness' that made it better). I'd also argue that That's How People Grow Up sounded better when first heard live. The accordion was higher in the mix, and the clunky lyrics were buried a bit deeper.

Interesting to see the level of excitement for J Marr's new album. If it was just another Healers album, I don't think I would be bothered. He's clearly changed his style though, returning to the joyful jangle of the Smiths era. Was really impressed by his recent Smiths covers too - surprised at how good his singing was.
So, it's all change for Marr whereas Morrissey is ploughing the same old furrow but (apparently) without the contributions of Alain Whyte. There is a risk his next album could be his worst.
All he needs is a couple of great songs, though, to turn things around, but it sure as hell can't be done with 'People Are The Same'.

Hello Maurice E - I remember a brilliant post of yours from a while back, saying that Marr needed to be "magically re-acquainted with the songwriting abilities that deserted him in the late 80s" - it looks like we got what we wished for! :D.

Back
Top Bottom