Why Morrissey must start releasing albums in January

Maverick

Maverick
It is a well known fact that January is the weakest time of the year for releases. It's easy therefor to score a false chart position in that month for an artist whose sales are on the wain.

That is why Morrissey must start releasing his albums in January - he would be almost guaranteed a number 1 every time.

The record books would not remember the sales - just the fact he reached number 1.

It is a well known fact that January is the weakest time of the year for releases. It's easy therefor to score a false chart position in that month for an artist whose sales are on the wain.

That is why Morrissey must start releasing his albums in January - he would be almost guaranteed a number 1 every time.

The record books would not remember the sales - just the fact he reached number 1.

Do you really think he is that bothered. I mean part of him must feel bothered, even if it a sub-concious thought. But today, being number 1 really isn't the achievement it once was. It's not like there is anything that groundbreaking to compete against.

Do you really think he is that bothered. I mean part of him must feel bothered, even if it a sub-concious thought. But today, being number 1 really isn't the achievement it once was. It's not like there is anything that groundbreaking to compete against.

Being number one has never held any merit. The majority of people are always wrong. They don't care about music, very few people do.

Chart positions still mean a lot to Morrissey, at least judging by the comments on the TTY site he wrote during his last tour.

Why are the users of this forum so obsessed with this notion that "the charts don't mean anything anymore", as if they were somehow more prestigious back in the old days? I'm not signalling anybody out specifically, but I keep on seeing it get mentioned and I find it rather petty to say the least.

I never hear Americans paying any attention at all to American charts. Well, maybe back when lil kids listened to Casey Kasem. I guess charts are a British obsession.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rcPlQ9o0ddc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rcPlQ9o0ddc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
I never hear Americans paying any attention at all to American charts. Well, maybe back when lil kids listened to Casey Kasem. I guess charts are a British obsession.

Have you seen the American charts at all in the last... twenty years? They probably sucked just as hard back when I was a lil kid, glued to Casey Kasem and dancing around the living room singing along every Sunday. I just didn't know any better.

I believe the American Top 100 is a mix or sales and airplay whereas in most other countries it's just sales that are counted. So songs that play a lot on the radio can chart reasonably high even when they don't sell that much. And of course airplay is dictated by radio programmers, who in turn are influenced by record company people. The latter often get their artists on the heavy rotation list by giving concert tickets and music memorabilia to radio programmers. Well that's the way it works around these parts and I'm sure it's the same in the States.

This is disappointing especially when you have a look at the individual sales and airplay charts in Billboard (official US charts magazine). They are often very different. Many artists can chart quite high in sales, but have zero airplay at all. Morrissey was one of them in the 90s. If the American charts had worked the same way as everywhere else, Morrissey would have had an American Top 10 with "The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get" and perhaps also with some of his earlier singles like "Suedehead".

Stephane

Obviously, Morrissey isn't a true fan of himself. He doesn't want to see himself at the top so he releases at misfortunate times.

Obviously, Morrissey isn't a true fan of himself. He doesn't want to see himself at the top so he releases at misfortunate times.

Well he always knew last week was the week of the Brits. Just like in 2006 when he released The Youngest Was The Most Loved in the week loads of football anthems were out cos it was the World Cup.

It's like he thrives on it. I guess if he'd actually gotten to number 1, he could have laughed in their faces.

But he didn't, so he can't.

Well he always knew last week was the week of the Brits. Just like in 2006 when he released The Youngest Was The Most Loved in the week loads of football anthems were out cos it was the World Cup.

It's like he thrives on it. I guess if he'd actually gotten to number 1, he could have laughed in their faces.

You really think he thought,"ah,it's the World Cup,I must release a single so that it will bomb."
And whose faces was he going to laugh in?
:crazy:

You really think he thought,"ah,it's the World Cup,I must release a single so that it will bomb."
And whose faces was he going to laugh in?
:crazy:

I wouldn't be surprised - and i was referring to the peoplemhe didn't beat in the chart. Mind you, when he entered at number 3 with Irish Blood, he made some sarcastic comment about being back in the British Top 10.

Maybe he deserves a few flops - it might re-focus him.

Tags
maverick=clown maverick=emma the new dom
Back
Top Bottom