Wikileaks story

M-in-Oz

Is anyone following the Wiki-leaks story regarding the leaking of diplomatic cables?
From what I have heard on radio/newspapers it is kind of 'gossipy' stuff that is coming out rather than State secrets.
Also, listening to Julian Assange's lawyer on ABC radio this morning he was pretty angry about his clients rape charges in Sweden and the lack of follow-up by prosecutors.
Plus - the cables were smuggled out on a Lady Gaga cd!

so did he really rape somebody :eek: I heard the story on FOX NEWS :sick:
meaning I do not trust a word of it yet :o
I'd like a link to a more reliable source :straightface:
please?
thx :thumb:

so did he really rape somebody :eek: I heard the story on FOX NEWS :sick:
meaning I do not trust a word of it yet :o
I'd like a link to a more reliable source :straightface:
please?
thx :thumb:

You're calling Fox News unreliable! :eek: :p

The thing is that no one knows if he has really raped anybody. He has been accused of one rape and one case of sexual harrassment or something similar. Assange has not yet been interrogated by the prosecutor in Sweden and that's why they issued an internationl arrest order so they could get him to Sweden for an interrogation. But the prosecutor has not yet decided whether or not to bring the accusations to trial. And the only ones who knows anything about what really happened is of course Assange and the two women.

I think the two women denied the rape allegations earlier but they are now being investigated again. Assange is in custody in London, denied bail as he is considered a flight risk. John Pilger, Jemima Khan & Ken Loach offered money as surety.

When you mentioned Fox news...I'm wondering whether the News Corporation (Murdoch) are actually supportive of Assange, as in Aust. they are particularly interested in freedom of press. However, this would play out differently in other countries - when some are saying he should be assasintated.

I read that Miss A alledges she wanted him to wear a condom while having intercourse with her but he just ploughed on regardless,(not rape) and that Miss W said he had sex with her while she was asleep. :rolleyes: I smell a rat, jumped up charges simply designed to get him extradited to USA. Which is out off order, the do gooders round these parts are constantly stating we can't possibly send this charachter back to Iraq, Iran, China, Africa (insert any god forsaken hole of choice), because he'd be in danger of death if we sent him back to his own country, but as soon as America want someone to answer a question or two any number of minor groveling nations fall over themselves to trump up false charges, and we turn a deaf ear to all the calls for the death penalty.

I read that Miss A alledges she wanted him to wear a condom while having intercourse with her but he just ploughed on regardless,(not rape) and that Miss W said he had sex with her while she was asleep. :rolleyes: I smell a rat, jumped up charges simply designed to get him extradited to USA. Which is out off order, the do gooders round these parts are constantly stating we can't possibly send this charachter back to Iraq, Iran, China, Africa (insert any god forsaken hole of choice), because he'd be in danger of death if we sent him back to his own country, but as soon as America want someone to answer a question or two any number of minor groveling nations fall over themselves to trump up false charges, and we turn a deaf ear to all the calls for the death penalty.

I Agree, smell a rat the size of an elephant.

Extraditing him to the US is much easier for Sweden than the UK so I hope he manages to stay safe - I am fearing the worst if the U.S. lays hands on him

I hardly believe that Assange is the offer of some kind of conspiracy. Both of the women, Miss A and W, were big fans of Wikileaks and Assange so why on earth would they let temselves be bought by CIA to be part of some kind of honeytrap? And wouldn't it be a bit far-fetched to believe that the CIA got Assange trumped up on false charges of rape in Sweden to get him extradited; and even if USA would demand from Sweden to extradit him it is not so obvoius that Sweden would do so, expecially not if he would run the risk of being sentenced to death. Furthermore, these incidents took place several months ago before all hell broke lose with this latest leak of diplomatic cables, I think even before the leak of the reports from the Iraq war. Assange may very well be innocent but I regard it as highly unlikely that the accusations is some sort of a conspircay orchestrated by CIA.

I hardly believe that Assange is the offer of some kind of conspiracy. Both of the women, Miss A and W, were big fans of Wikileaks and Assange so why on earth would they let temselves be bought by CIA to be part of some kind of honeytrap? And wouldn't it be a bit far-fetched to believe that the CIA got Assange trumped up on false charges of rape in Sweden to get him extradited; and even if USA would demand from Sweden to extradit him it is not so obvoius that Sweden would do so, expecially not if he would run the risk of being sentenced to death. Furthermore, these incidents took place several months ago before all hell broke lose with this latest leak of diplomatic cables, I think even before the leak of the reports from the Iraq war. Assange may very well be innocent but I regard it as highly unlikely that the accusations is some sort of a conspircay orchestrated by CIA.

I wouldn't think there would be many legal systems would attempt to prosecute for failure to fit a condom even if a willing partner requested it, and as for "he sliped one in while we sleeping your honor", what prosecuter would run with that one? These are not crimes that i feel in normal circumstances would be prosecuted, and its that where pressure has been brought to bear. Maybe?:rolleyes:

I wouldn't think there would be many legal systems would attempt to prosecute for failure to fit a condom even if a willing partner requested it, and as for "he sliped one in while we sleeping your honor", what prosecuter would run with that one? These are not crimes that i feel in normal circumstances would be prosecuted, and its that where pressure has been brought to bear. Maybe?:rolleyes:

Just to be clear; the prosecutor is yet to decide whether or not to prosecute Assange on the charge of rape. All she wants is to be able to interrogate Assange, which hasn't been possible yet eventhough the incidents took place 3 or 4 months ago. If Assange had just willingly flown to Stockholm to let himself be interrogated he wouldn't have been arrested.

I don't know anything except what I've read on-line and in the papers.

No idea if the rape allegations are true or not, but if they're not and these women were former 'fans' then I would say that the promise of major amounts of money can do strange things to people, and so can threats against them/their families.

Even before the latest leaks, Assange was on very shaky ground, partially because of the very nature of what he's trying to do, and partially because a while back he declared war on the banks/financial systems - eg the Kaupthing leaks. Moneybookers dropped Wikileaks (over a year ago?) and they've been trying to combat problems with their servers and DOS attacks for years...

Would write more, but my boss is in the room :(

I don't know anything except what I've read on-line and in the papers.

No idea if the rape allegations are true or not, but if they're not and these women were former 'fans' then I would say that the promise of major amounts of money can do strange things to people, and so can threats against them/their families.

Even before the latest leaks, Assange was on very shaky ground, partially because of the very nature of what he's trying to do, and partially because a while back he declared war on the banks/financial systems - eg the Kaupthing leaks. Moneybookers dropped Wikileaks (over a year ago?) and they've been trying to combat problems with their servers and DOS attacks for years...

Would write more, but my boss is in the room :(

But doesn't it seem to be an unnecessarily difficult thing to do to "get" Assange and Wikileaks, getting him trumped up on false charges of rape in Sweden and then hope for an extradition? Wouldn't it be easier for CIA to just e.g. kidnap Assange and bring him to american soil and then arrest him there if they could actually find something that they could prosecute him for, which anyway doesn't seem so easy to find? This whole conspiracy theory just seems too far-fetched to me.

And the declared war on the banks/financial system, didn't he declare it just a month ago, i.e. after the rape charges in Sweden? And btw, what is the Kaupthing leaks? Haven't heard of that one.

But doesn't it seem to be an unnecessarily difficult thing to do to "get" Assange and Wikileaks, getting him trumped up on false charges of rape in Sweden and then hope for an extradition? Wouldn't it be easier for CIA to just e.g. kidnap Assange and bring him to american soil and then arrest him there if they could actually find something that they could prosecute him for, which anyway doesn't seem so easy to find? This whole conspiracy theory just seems too far-fetched to me.

And the declared war on the banks/financial system, didn't he declare it just a month ago, i.e. after the rape charges in Sweden? And btw, what is the Kaupthing leaks? Haven't heard of that one.

If the CIA hasn't yet had Assange killed, it's only because of a minor lapse in consistency rather than the result of any strategy. Maybe the Langley equivalent of Homer Simpson lost the case file in his asscrack for a few days and they didn't get their ducks in a row. Maybe someone missed a phone call because he was busy waterboarding a Pakistani teenager. Trust me, whatever you see in the press with respect to Assange is only the tip of the iceberg. I don't know why you would doubt for a second that a country whose Commander-In-Chief openly authorizes kidnapping, judicial tampering, torture, secret prisons, death squads and the murder of civilians with drone missiles would hesitate for a moment to wipe out a nuisance like Julian Assange by any means necessary. Let's wait and see where he ends up.

Last edited:
Of course, I should be clear, the President may not officially authorize the CIA's community outreach team to deal with Julian Assange. He might send out an international welcoming committee consisting of "independent contractors" to assist in his travel arrangements to the United States:

the_empire_strikes_back_vader_and_bounty_hunters.jpg

I'm thinking Xe, maybe?

Last edited:
Why do you put a Star Wars pic when I've take mine straight off? :(
Still....BOBA FET <3

There is information we don't have here! :straightface:
Having been accused it's right for Assange to go back to answer the questions. The reason the case was taken up again after being dropped....unclear. It may be new evidence has emerged, or the prosecutor has other reasons to pursue the case. I hope that he would get the same treatment as any other under Swedish law.

So far as the Wikileaks is concerned we can clearly see that what we are told by politicians is not to be trusted, and therefore anything they say about him is going to be influenced by the embarrassment he has caused them. I'm not surprised some people want to shut him up for good. Is the best way for a "Democracy" to protect itself to persecute the one who reveals to the people the Leaders are lying to them?

I understand that in Diplomatic terms ambassadors are not always going to say what they really think, and one country might want to keep it's intentions secret from another country (if they are confident enough to believe the other hasn't worked it out for themselves). However, to reveal lies about torture of suspects, and other crimes is rightly bringing to account those who are answerable to their electorate.

It might be to the advantage of the US Government not to get it's hands on Assange. There's no way they could explain away any harm that might befall him in their custody. No way of persuading people across the world that it's intention to prosecute is not for politically motivated revenge.

If the CIA hasn't yet had Assange killed, it's only because of a minor lapse in consistency rather than the result of any strategy. Maybe the Langley equivalent of Homer Simpson lost the case file in his asscrack for a few days and they didn't get their ducks in a row. Maybe someone missed a phone call because he was busy waterboarding a Pakistani teenager. Trust me, whatever you see in the press with respect to Assange is only the tip of the iceberg. I don't know why you would doubt for a second that a country whose Commander-In-Chief openly authorizes kidnapping, judicial tampering, torture, secret prisons, death squads and the murder of civilians with drone missiles would hesitate for a moment to wipe out a nuisance like Julian Assange by any means necessary. Let's wait and see where he ends up.

That could be a description of many world leaders sadly.

Emil - Kaupthing was a major bank in Iceland who lent billions of Euros to the owners of the bank/companies associated with the owners of the bank just before it went bust. They also lent money to friends of the owners so they could buy shares in the bank - creating an unsustainable bubble. And the bank also wrote off a lot of debt before they went kaput - and brought down the whole of Iceland. Basically the financial 'elite' lent money nilly willy to their mates and then took as much as they could before the economy exploded. The people of Iceland (and people in other countires who lost money) are now the ones who suffer. It's pretty much like what has happened in the US and the UK but I think it was particularly incestuous in Iceland as it's a much smaller place.

This happened at the end of 2008 I thinks as that's when the world-wide melt down kicked in (I think? Maybe 2009?).

Wikileaks leaked papers documenting the dodgy Kaupthing transfers - so other Banks/organisations must have wondered what sort of documents they had on them...and finance and big business go hand-in-hand with politics. So no wonder he's Public Enemy No.1.

That said he might well be a rapist - in which case throw away the key. But it just seems a bit too coincidental that the charges/incident originate in Sweden which Wikileaks chose because of their protectionist laws with regards to the media and their sources. Use one trumped up charge to 'get' him into custody/a weak position and then go from there? Smear his image to discredit the released info./integrity of Wikileaks.

A guy at work was saying today that Assange has put an 'insurance file' on W.leaks' Afganistan page, so that if anything happens to him it will automatically be un-encrypted and reveal some very tasty information.

Who knows? All I know is what I read in the papers, and we all know how reliable that is:D

It might be to the advantage of the US Government not to get it's hands on Assange. There's no way they could explain away any harm that might befall him in their custody. No way of persuading people across the world that it's intention to prosecute is not for politically motivated revenge.

What do you think would happen if Julian Assange dies in transit to Sweden under mysterious circumstances? Say, falls out a window or accidentally steps in front of a bus. Falls down twelve flights of stairs onto a butcher knife. Whatever it may be. Do you honestly think it would change anything even the slightest bit? How much more brazen does the United States have to be in its cynical disregard for the law before we understand that Michelle Obama can blow Assange's head off with a 12-guage on CNN and nobody would lift a finger in protest?

No, I don't doubt that for a second and that's why I don't really buy the conspiracy theory because if they really want to silence Assange why not do it in an easier way? Why just not send out the contracted killer and have him shot? Why get him trumped up on false charges of rape and hope for an extradition? An extradition that in the first place isn't so obvious because it is not self-evident that the swedish government would actually extradite him.

sadly, Boba is no longer available :straightface: like his father, he fell, then died :(

Hehe, unless you count the books (approved by George Lucas) where he escapes :thumb: :lbf:
Boba Fett is too cool to die in my book! :cool:
His "death" was absolutely horrible in Return Of The Jedi, that was a pathetic way to kill off such a brilliant character.
They should have killed off Luke Skywalker by choking on a powerful toffee

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom