Will Johnny Marr's 'Call the Comet' outsell Morrissey's 'Low in High School?'

How many copies do you think Call the Comet will shift in week 1 (UK)?

• Total voters
Oh dear - you just don't get it, do you? I'll try and explain again.
Back in the 80's, Steve did indeed spout a lot of controversial stuff. But it was controversial in a good way (at least as far as the people who were drawn to him were concerned). He hated Thatcher, he hated the royals, he hated the meat industry, Reagan, McDonalds, the Tories. He hated all the things that any decent person also hated, and expressed his feelings in an articulate way. It only helped to enhance and strengthen the cult of Morrissey.
Now he is doing the absolute opposite. An idiotic love song to Israel (oh my god), public support for a racist violent w***er (Johnny Robinson or whatever the ghastly c***'s name is), an official endorsement of a political party for the first time in his life, but for a far right party - a pro-nuclear, pro vastly increased military expenditure, climate change denying party, opposed to any redistribution of income. WHAT THE HELL IS HE THINKING?
He's hemorrhaging fans left, right and centre. Even celebrity fans who have sung his praises (and even sung songs about him) have come out and opposed him. For the first time in his life, Johnny Marr has publicly said that he disagrees with Morrissey - 'Of course I disagree with him'.
Steve has announced two tiny dates at provincial theatres (capacity 2,000) on a mini tour, and even they haven't sold out. Everything is crumbling.
And if you really think this is just business as usual for Morrissey, you are an absolute idiot.
Keep dreaming. Your fantasy just isn't going to happen in real life I'm afraid.

Back in the 80's, Steve did indeed spout a lot of controversial stuff. But it was controversial in a good way (at least as far as the people who were drawn to him were concerned). He hated Thatcher, he hated the royals, he hated the meat industry, Reagan, McDonalds, the Tories. He hated all the things that any decent person also hated, and expressed his feelings in an articulate way. It only helped to enhance and strengthen the cult of Morrissey.
Now he is doing the absolute opposite. An idiotic love song to Israel (oh my god), public support for a racist violent w***er (Johnny Robinson or whatever the ghastly c***'s name is), an official endorsement of a political party for the first time in his life, but for a far right party - a pro-nuclear, pro vastly increased military expenditure, climate change denying party, opposed to any redistribution of income. WHAT THE HELL IS HE THINKING?
He's hemorrhaging fans left, right and centre. Even celebrity fans who have sung his praises (and even sung songs about him) have come out and opposed him. For the first time in his life, Johnny Marr has publicly said that he disagrees with Morrissey - 'Of course I disagree with him'.
Steve has announced two tiny dates at provincial theatres (capacity 2,000) on a mini tour, and even they haven't sold out. Everything is crumbling.
And if you really think this is just business as usual for Morrissey, you are an absolute idiot.
When you've had a lie down, and you feel like having a reasoned response to the things I actually said - rather than the things you clearly need to get off your chest - come back to me.

Sounds like the words of Maurice E Maher who started this poll.

Latest chart/sales figures below:
Looks like Marr is safe in the top 5 despite feeble sales (now unlikely to reach 10,000).
Steve would have grabbed the #2 slot pretty easily this week (LIHS shifted 25,000).

1 Motion Picture Cast Recording - The Greatest Showman (23,328)
2 George Ezra - Staying At Tamara's (14,823)
3 5 Seconds of Summer - Youngblood (13,734) *
4 The Beach Boys & The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - The Beach Boys with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (9,745)
5 Johnny Marr - Call the Comet (7,439) *

6-10
6 The Carters - Everything Is Love (6,803) *

Wait a second, so you’re telling me that bland pop from a secondary member of a forgotten band isn’t going to sell like hot cakes 30 years after his prime and relevancy?

Maybe :frogface: can donate a couple of copies of the Cd to the Islam:turban: "free" event.
Auction them off for a pence or two.:fist:

Wait a second, so you’re telling me that bland pop from a secondary member of a forgotten band isn’t going to sell like hot cakes 30 years after his prime and relevancy?

Not bad really - he only came out as a solo artist in 2013 and his 3 albums have charted at 10, 9 and apparently 6 with this one.

Not bad really - he only came out as a solo artist in 2013 and his 3 albums have charted at 10, 9 and apparently 6 with this one.

More like 2003...but there’s a good reason no one remembers Boomslang.

Chart position isn’t indicative of units shifted. Right now he’s in the top 10 with 8,000 copies sold. Those numbers are pretty pathetic.

More like 2003...but there’s a good reason no one remembers Boomslang.

Chart position isn’t indicative of units shifted. Right now he’s in the top 10 with 8,000 copies sold. Those numbers are pretty pathetic.

Yes forgot about that - the numbers are poor but who does have loads of sales nowadays in this type of genre apart from Liam Gallagher?

What is Drama J going to do with the thousand upon thousands of unsold and returned CDS stacked in his bedroom?? Poor Drama J what a disaster!!:rolleyes:

Here is an idea, put them in National sleeves and sell them as such, nobody will know the difference. Puts peeps to:sleeping: pretty quickly

Were the any adverts - tube/TV etc?

Did Hi Hello make german students top 10?

The PR for "Call the Comet" was the most aggressive/ambitious I've ever seen in Johnny's career, far moreso than for The Messenger (which did well quite surprisingly) and Playland (which nobody even seemed to notice). It's a good album, his best so far.

Final position #7 in the UK album chart, with 8,794 sold - so that's slightly up on 'Playland', which charted at #9 with 7,281 sold.

It's amazing to me how few people buy albums these days, and I'm talking across the entire chart. We live in a time of cheap-ass streaming bastids, for sure.

Back
Top Bottom