Will Morrissey's Career Return to Greatness?

Will Morrissey's Career Return to Greatness?

• Morrissey's career will be forever be great, regardless of what happens from here on out.

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • It won't be easy, but he'll definitely be at the top of his game again.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Starting to fear we're seeing the end, but haven't given upon on Moz!

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • I'd welcome it if it happened, but I doubt it...

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • It hasn't been impressive for almost 10 years, and won't get any better. Get off the stage!

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters

King Leer

Leering since '97
Even long-time fans who weathered the winter years and controversies are pretty worried now about the prospects for a Moz resurgence. Or is he legendary enough that one isn't even necessary? And furthermore, do we consciously or unconsciously hold Morrissey up to higher, perhaps even unachievable, standards than other artists with similarly long careers in pop and rock?

Edit: Apologies for the typo in the first choice (extra "be") Ugh.

Last edited:
First I must say that Moz never left greatness as far as his career is concerned, (in my opinion) but I understand the question. Fans are worried that touring may indeed cease altogether. Another album is questionable at best, and does he have the mustard to 'pull it together' and bring back those 'fans' that may have ben pushed away forever, and/or tour enough to honor the dates that were missed due to all the troubles and illness he encountered? I personally can only hope he can, but believe he WILL! He has undoubtedly the most passionate and loving fans of any artist I have ever known, but are they understanding and patient enough to see what happens? I am, and I know the majority of you are as well. Whatever happens, I will still forever be a supporter and fan of his until the day I die. That said, of course i would like nothing more than to see him get back on stage and in the studio to wow us all with more fantastic material, and memorable live shows. If he chooses not to do any of those things, as gutted as I will be, I have always have my memories and his music to last a lifetime. Again I say, he'll be back!

I voted for the first option, because there will never be another Morrissey. He's an original and stands alone. I'd like to also say that I believe we haven't seen the end of Morrissey. I'm optimistic. I think he will continue to produce wonderful music...and I'm looking forward to that! :)

If by greatness you mean back in the public eye, selling out arenas, and headlines being written, then yes, I'm sure it will happen, but not in the way suggested by the options in the poll.

P.

Was torn between option 1 and 3. Not so concerned about live performances and his apparent lethargy ( or lack thereof) but rather the length of time between albums. Sadly enough , Moz isn't immortal and , hence , has a finite ( and steadily narrowing ) period of time in which to get recording/signed/etc.

I was extremely pleased with YOR and would love to hear more recorded work ...

Great words. I feel almost exactly the same. He has cemented his status as one of pop music's all time greats. I dare say that 100 years from now, Morrissey will be seen as a true Wildean figure. People will wish they had been around during his time to hug him on stage. Which is why I never take his presence now for granted, whatever the career or personal maladies may linger.

First I must say that Moz never left greatness as far as his career is concerned, (in my opinion) but I understand the question. Fans are worried that touring may indeed cease altogether. Another album is questionable at best, and does he have the mustard to 'pull it together' and bring back those 'fans' that may have ben pushed away forever, and/or tour enough to honor the dates that were missed due to all the troubles and illness he encountered? I personally can only hope he can, but believe he WILL! He has undoubtedly the most passionate and loving fans of any artist I have ever known, but are they understanding and patient enough to see what happens? I am, and I know the majority of you are as well. Whatever happens, I will still forever be a supporter and fan of his until the day I die. That said, of course i would like nothing more than to see him get back on stage and in the studio to wow us all with more fantastic material, and memorable live shows. If he chooses not to do any of those things, as gutted as I will be, I have always have my memories and his music to last a lifetime. Again I say, he'll be back!

Amen! True statements. Especially in regards to your '100 years from now' thought, I know people now who say they wish they would have been around when I tell them I saw The Smiths in concert in 1986.
Here's to continued greatness!

Sadly enough , Moz isn't immortal and , hence , has a finite ( and steadily narrowing ) period of time in which to get recording/signed/etc.

Steady on. He's not even 55. Pete Seeger has brought out three new albums in the past year and he's 94.

Steady on. He's not even 55. Pete Seeger has brought out three new albums in the past year and he's 94.

I gather ; he is , as you say , only 54. Conversely ,though , there's every chance he isn't Pete Seeger. I haven't followed the career of Seeger that closely as I have better things to do such as biting my toenails ( sorry ! ) but Moz has only released/recorded three albums in the last decade. I wish he would continue his output but I fear it's otherwise ...

I think he can continue to play live indefinitely, as long as he doesn't milk it too much (breaks between tours etc).

But as for bringing us a great new album, I'm unsure. I don't think Morrissey is ever going to get the kind of record contract he's holding out for, so if he can't get over that, we may never see another Morrissey studio album.

Great words. I feel almost exactly the same. He has cemented his status as one of pop music's all time greats. I dare say that 100 years from now, Morrissey will be seen as a true Wildean figure. People will wish they had been around during his time to hug him on stage. Which is why I never take his presence now for granted, whatever the career or personal maladies may linger.

Yes, they will.

The title of his book has been leaked. :D

1012491_229003920581265_822443278_n.jpg

Voted "It won't be easy...", but not sure whether we'll see him 'at the top of his game' again, at least not for the duration of an entire album. I'm sure there will be good, even great, songs, in the future. He's still got it in him. Certainly don't believe we're witnessing his creative demise.

Sadly enough , Moz isn't immortal and , hence , has a finite ( and steadily narrowing ) period of time in which to get recording/signed/etc.

moi said:

I gather ; he is , as you say , only 54. Conversely ,though , there's every chance he isn't Pete Seeger. I haven't followed the career of Seeger that closely as I have better things to do such as biting my toenails ( sorry ! ) but Moz has only released/recorded three albums in the last decade. I wish he would continue his output but I fear it's otherwise ...

Yes, from all I can gather, Morrissey isn't Pete Seeger. But they have a few things in common, one of which is the impossibility (as far as can be foreseen) of simply becoming commercially unviable. Morrissey could sign to any label and enter any recording studio tomorrow if he decided to and, as far as it is possible to tell, there's a lot of window left for him.

Pete Seeger is good. This is from his first album, released in 1941:

Last edited by a moderator:
Morrissey could sign to any label ... tomorrow if he decided to

Highly debatable.

Morrissey has spoken at length about how he will only sign a traditional record label contract with a proper label (this is apparently why there has been no studio album in so long).

The fact remains he hasn't secured such a contract.

I think it's less about a "traditional record label contract with a proper label", which I contend he could get with a single phonecall any time during office hours. It could be that he has unrealistic expectations in terms of how good a deal he should get. But I don't think that is it, because he seems to have signed a contract with Eagle Rock Entertainment which commits them to virtually no promotion. I think he just doesn't have the material at the moment. As soon as he does - which he will, eventually - it will get recorded, betcha.

Eagle Rock Entertainment are a company that just do these kind of video releases ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_Rock_Entertainment ), so it's almost certainly a one-off deal just for this video release. Really quite a different thing to putting out music.

Hasn't he claimed he already has material before anyway. And he most certainly has claimed, on multiple occasions, that the thing that is holding him back is not being offered a proper deal (as opposed to a lack of material, whether he has it or not).

I voted for the second option, although I agree with #1 and don't think the two are mutually exclusive. I feel without a doubt that Morrissey has already done enough in the last 30 years to secure his legacy. However he is currently without a label or immediate opportunity for an album or tour. So, although his career will be considered accomplished and even legendary if he does nothing else, his current state is low.

I believe he still wants to be a current and relevant artist and not simply rest of his laurels, although he easily could. I have high hopes and faith in a Morrissey comeback. The time doesn't seem to be right for him now. Hes had one hell of a year! I hope he finds his muse, whatever it may be at this time. I cannot believe he won't come roaring back!!

I think he just doesn't have the material at the moment. As soon as he does - which he will, eventually - it will get recorded, betcha.

Can't agree with you on this. It really doesn't take that long to write songs and I'm sure that a lot of the songwriting will be done when they actually get inside a studio. I seem to remember him saying that Quarry was 50% written in the studio.

He shouldn't have to write songs to "demo" his new album, any record company insisting on that would be taking the piss as he has a back catalog as long as you arm to point at.

I really do believe this is all about the terms, Morrissey believes he is worth more investment than the record companies are willing to offer. I'm not saying he is wanting cash for himself but he will want to be sure that the right level of promotion is in place.

Back
Top Bottom