Wollongong, Australia - WIN Centre (Oct. 29, 2016) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Suedehead / Speedway / How Soon Is Now? / Alma Matters / Staircase At The University / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Ganglord / Kiss Me A Lot / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / The Bullfighter Dies / Ouija Board, Ouija Board / Jack The Ripper / The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores / I Will See You In Far-Off Places / Kick The Bride Down The Aisle / Meat Is Murder / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Oboe Concerto // What She Said

setlist provided by crawleyrocket.

• Morrissey gig nearly ended in fisticuffs, with one fan fainting by Jeff Apter (3 stars) - The Sydney Morning Herald. Link posted by Uncleskinny and lanterns.
  • Photo from littlebobbyplaqueson / Instagram. Link posted by an anonymous person.

39296_wollongong.jpg

Last edited:
You are cheering violence? Against people?

The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

Did you read the bit about where the dinckhead and his drunk mates were moshing and continuously pushing people? Or the bits where he was saying unspeakable things within Morrissey's hearing, including calling Moz and old queen? I guess these things aren't violent, whereas a well thrown punch is, especially when thrown by a girl that everyone is jealous of. Way to police behavior without knowing the full set of facts. Congratulations.

If the punch wasn't thrown, the gig would have ended early. Trinity did us all a favour.

This is the most detailed and accurate review from what I experienced at the concert.

http://musicfeeds.com.au/gig/morrissey-wollongong-entertainment-centre-wollongong-29102016/

In reference to the 'incident', my memory at the time was that the American girl complained about the guy talking all the way through about horse racing and that he was spoiling the show for others. For anyone who doesn't know, we are about to have our 'Grand National' or 'Ascot' or Kentucky Derby' here in Australia. It's on today in fact and it's called 'Melbourne Cup' which might explain why he was talking about horses. Although, he might have been better off in the back row instead of the front of a Moz gig! Why come at all? She also only said, 'I want to punch him in the head', not that she actually had punched him. I couldn't see so I don't know whether she had already punched him or not, perhaps that's what Morrissey saw, but the ruckus was enough the stop the show and probably spoil the energy and mood from that point on until Everyday Is Like Sunday. Morrissey handled it well, I thought, by asking rhetorically and with raised eyebrow, 'Do you want us to go?' or something like that. The suitably scolded pair gave him the appropriate response of silence, thank goodness and the girl return the microphone to Morrissey. The band huddled and Morrissey called out 'Ouija Bourd' and the gig continued.

My other observation in response to comments about this concert was that the hall was more than half full but it had the feel of a wideways small-sided basketball stadium with elevated seating on three sides, if that makes sense. Only the back section was ever put on sale so it looked emptier than it really was but that didn't help the general atmosphere. However, the concert was still very good and I'm happy I went to the show which at the time I thought was going to be my only concert of this tour. I loved Alma Matters, Staircase at the University, Ganglord, Jack The Ripper, I Will See You In Far-off Places and Oboe Concerto here. Everyday Is Like Sunday is always good too and the crowd got into, as usual. So Suedehead is easily up there as a great way to start the show and considering Everyday... wasn't played in Newcastle, I'll elevate it into my favourites, especially as it was one of the few moments in the concert that he reached out and touched this crowd. Of The Smiths songs, How Soon Is Now? and What She Said were great.

CR

Last edited:
Thank you so much, crawlyrocket! Now we know what happened over there! :flowers:

This is the most detailed and accurate review from what I experienced at the concert.

http://musicfeeds.com.au/gig/morrissey-wollongong-entertainment-centre-wollongong-29102016/

In reference to the 'incident', my memory at the time was that the American girl complained about the guy talking all the way through about horse racing and that he was spoiling the show for others. For anyone who doesn't know, we are about to have our 'Grand National' or 'Ascot' or Kentucky Derby' here in Australia. It's on today in fact and it's called 'Melbourne Cup' which might explain why he was talking about horses. Although, he might have been better off in the back row instead of the front of a Moz gig! Why come at all? She also said, 'I want to punch him in the head'. I couldn't see so I don't know whether she had already punched him or not, perhaps that what Morrissey saw, but the ruckus was enough the stop the show and probably spoil the energy and mood from that point on. Morrissey handled it well, I thought, by asking rhetorically and with raised eyebrow, 'Do you want us to go?' or something like that. The band huddled and Morrissey called out 'Ouija Bourd' and the gig continued.

My other observation in response to comments about this concert was that the hall was more than half full but it had the feel of a wideways basketball stadium with elevated seating on three sides, if that makes sense . Only the back section was ever put on sale so it looked emptier than it really was but that didn't help the general atmosphere. However, the concert was still very good and I'm happy I went to the show which at the time I thought was going to be my only concert of this tour. I loved Alma Matters, Staircase at the University, Ganglord, Jack The Ripper, I Will See You In Far-off Places and Oboe Concerto here.

CR
Yep, what he said^^

How Soon Is Now was the second best highlight for me other than Ganglord. I don't usually like the recent versions of Alma Matters because the keyboards are usually up too high on the mix and it sounds tacky but this time no tacky keyboard sound and the crowd sang out every SYL-LA-BLE!

Did you read the bit about where the dinckhead and his drunk mates were moshing and continuously pushing people? Or the bits where he was saying unspeakable things within Morrissey's hearing, including calling Moz and old queen? I guess these things aren't violent, whereas a well thrown punch is, especially when thrown by a girl that everyone is jealous of. Way to police behavior without knowing the full set of facts. Congratulations.

If the punch wasn't thrown, the gig would have ended early. Trinity did us all a favour.
I do wonder why people like that do go to Morrissey concerts just to cause trouble but I don't get why you think everyone is jealous of a girl who punched one of them. Looking back now I think security is to blame for letting it all go that far. I don't find anyone's actions admirable in that situation let alone feeling jealousy.

Maybe she's on the wrong side of the stage and Morrissey should hire her as a goon?

This is probably the worst comment I've seen on this site.

Well, that's telling us nothing.
If I would have to believe you have seen all posts on this site it was already past my expiry date. And yours.
The phrase " probably the worst comment on this site" has been repeated so often and every time I would consider it to be, there is another one, even worse.
Thank god there is no poll.

if this guy was such a nuisance why didnt security just remove him? it shouldnt be up to an audience member to take care of the issue to ensure that the show goes on, and it shouldnt have gotten to the point where violence was required.

if this guy was such a nuisance why didnt security just remove him? it shouldnt be up to an audience member to take care of the issue to ensure that the show goes on, and it shouldnt have gotten to the point where violence was required.

Yeah, where was the security when you really need them?
I always hear and see them bullying fans without any reason but when they are needed they are nowhere to be seen. :(

Yep, what he said^^

How Soon Is Now was the second best highlight for me other than Ganglord. I don't usually like the recent versions of Alma Matters because the keyboards are usually up too high on the mix and it sounds tacky but this time no tacky keyboard sound and the crowd sang out every SYL-LA-BLE!
ganglords was incredible and i thought meat is murder was terrifically powerful this time

Security seem to usually only get involved when they think you might compromise the artist in some way, otherwise you're on your own. You're right though - if this guy was being a giant twat and ruining the show for those around him there should have been an easier way of getting him removed. It is Newcastle though, so I doubt security in a regional town at a smallish venue was going to be terribly reliable.

I grew up in Wollongong and loved seeing Moz there...had a great and "interesting night" Thanks Moz if you wanna heckle why bother paying for a ticket. I thank Morrissey for a night My brother and I enjoyed!

It's a f***ing pop concert. Was this your first?

Back
Top Bottom