"World Peace..." #1 album in Louder Than War Writers Top 10 Albums of 2014

Does anyone else have trouble keeping track of these anonymous posters? I never know which one I'm arguing with.

Are there any significant differences? Aren't they all riff-raff, rabble, vermin?

Does anyone else have trouble keeping track of these anonymous posters? I never know which one I'm arguing with.

With that statement, you are not arguing so much as underscoring a point. Would glove puppets help?

Are there any significant differences? Aren't they all riff-raff, rabble, vermin?

I just find it amazing that they can be bothered to troll this site day in day out but can't be bothered signing up. It boggles the mind.

I get what you are saying. I like the album, I do, but he's completely lost touch.

While the songs are good, he has zero inspiration left. Why? Because he has his every whim catered to; he jets to any country he feels like, doesn't leave the house except to go out to dinner with his entourage, and knows nothing about reality. He hasn't for some time and it shows.

But this is what happens to great songwriters. Once they've had money for a few years and no longer have to interact with people on a daily basis, their songs turn to shit.

His new songs are good, but lack the soul his older work did. I got the feeling he just watched the news and then wrote songs because his own life lacks any inspiration. Living in a chalet in Switzerland sipping Veuve by the pool in a $400 shirt is sure nice, but it won't result in any important, touching songs.

Best post of 2014

Benny-the-British-Butcher

ROTT

most who don't like kill uncle haven't seen him on first solo tour with this album , it was still till today,... with just 3 rock-a-billy players pulled out the pub,
his hugest succes, Morrissey Shot is a pic book, but there's at the end some writing. Read!

Therefore I shall always treasure Kill Uncle, and it's not a bad album, I had difficulties with Southpaw, cost me years to like it, after playing it a long time not anymore.
Year of Refusal is a solid album, like Your Arsenal.

Worldpeace I rank under Vauxhall and at the same level as Quarry

'and they say he's mentall'....but I respect your opinion, every human is unique, it would be boring with people with the same opinios and likes...

David Tsjeng is some one I have huge respect for, all the crap he had to take from Morrissey and posters here, he still continues
going on with his site, be thankfull for that, I am..

Did you see the first solo tour ?
Because when went there where 4 Rock a Billy's not 3 . Alain, Boz, Gary and Spencer L

I shill bod you farewull new Officer Crabtree gu and pack your brain

Banny-the-Brutish-Bitcher

I get what you are saying. I like the album, I do, but he's completely lost touch.

While the songs are good, he has zero inspiration left. Why? Because he has his every whim catered to; he jets to any country he feels like, doesn't leave the house except to go out to dinner with his entourage, and knows nothing about reality. He hasn't for some time and it shows.

But this is what happens to great songwriters. Once they've had money for a few years and no longer have to interact with people on a daily basis, their songs turn to shit.

His new songs are good, but lack the soul his older work did. I got the feeling he just watched the news and then wrote songs because his own life lacks any inspiration. Living in a chalet in Switzerland sipping Veuve by the pool in a $400 shirt is sure nice, but it won't result in any important, touching songs.

I get the feeling you haven't really paid any real attention to songs like I'm Not a Man, Smiler with Knife, Oboe Concerto, One of Our Own or Forgive Someone (best song of 2014, by anyone). All deeply personal songs. that standout from his catalogue.

No, your opinion seem routine-like. That old standard "established songwriters automatically turn to shit after a while. The older stuff are automatically better."

I get the feeling you haven't really paid any real attention to songs like I'm Not a Man, Smiler with Knife, Oboe Concerto, One of Our Own or Forgive Someone (best song of 2014, by anyone). All deeply personal songs. that standout from his catalogue.

No, your opinion seem routine-like. That old standard "established songwriters automatically turn to shit after a while. The older stuff are automatically better."

Agreed. It's so much better than Quarry it hurts.

All of his albums has something to offer. Even lightweight affairs like Kill Uncle gives us stuff like Driving...and Family Line.

And Maladjusted is perhaps the most underrated album of all time. Disliking an emotional, deeply honest and personal record like that, filled with beautiful songs, is to me unfathomable. Silly, even. It's his second best, after Vauxhall.

Its great to hear you love for Maladjusted!
I have always ranked it among my favorites.

His voice is so effortless, soft, melodic and strong on this album. And the musical arrangements are great as well, melodic and soft and in the background, complementary and not in competition with his vocal delivery.

I always find it confusing that its not so well received ... oh well

Agreed. It's so much better than Quarry it hurts.

I agree. I like Quarry, but it's far from being a favorite—and while I don't love ranking very different albums against each other, in my eyes (ears? heart?), WPINOYB leaves Quarry in the dust.

It's also interesting to think about Vauxhall, Quarry, and World Peace (and The Smiths) in the context of them being spaced 10 years apart, something Ghoul did in this poll:
http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threa...album-from-these-albums-spaced-a-decade-apart

I agree. I like Quarry, but it's far from being a favorite—and while I don't love ranking very different albums against each other, in my eyes (ears? heart?), WPINOYB leaves Quarry in the dust.

It's also interesting to think about Vauxhall, Quarry, and World Peace (and The Smiths) in the context of them being spaced 10 years apart, something Ghoul did in this poll:
http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threa...album-from-these-albums-spaced-a-decade-apart

I mentioned the ten year rule in the months ahead of the release of World Peace, the album which ruined the thesis, and it is noticeable that the enormous and largely undeserved praise heaped upon World Peace from a select few isn't even bolstered in the poll you link to.

World Peace will not be the great lost Morrissey album, that will be Southpaw, and as it stands Quarry, a work shot through with the sort of genuine brilliance, warmth and wit which was once Morrissey's trademark, looks set to be his last hurrah.

If only he'd fallen under a bus the day after its release today normal people would still be talking of him in hushed, reverential tones, and he could have joined Holly, Hendrix and Lennon trapped in historical aspic forever. Instead we get to witness the unedifying sight of people stretching credulity to a molecular state of slenderness by pretending Art Hounds is any good.

I mentioned the ten year rule in the months ahead of the release of World Peace, the album which ruined the thesis, and it is noticeable that the enormous and largely undeserved praise heaped upon World Peace from a select few isn't even bolstered in the poll you link to.

World Peace will not be the great lost Morrissey album, that will be Southpaw, and as it stands Quarry, a work shot through with the sort of genuine brilliance, warmth and wit which was once Morrissey's trademark, looks set to be his last hurrah.

If only he'd fallen under a bus the day after its release today normal people would still be talking of him in hushed, reverential tones, and he could have joined Holly, Hendrix and Lennon trapped in historical aspic forever. Instead we get to witness the unedifying sight of people stretching credulity to a molecular state of slenderness by pretending Art Hounds is any good.

Undeserved to you, but not those like me who like it. I feel like you do about WP about Quarry.

By the way, when I talk of World Peace, I mean this:

Side One

Kiss Me a Lot
One of Our Own
Staircase at the University
Smiler with Knife
Forgive Someone

Side Two

Istanbul
Drag the River
Neal Cassady Drops Dead
Julie in the Weeds
Mountjoy

which is filed under Deluxe Morrissey on my computer.

I NEVER listen to the other songs, as I don't rate them.

I think it's astonishing that some feel such strong distaste for either album. Each to his own, I suppose, but still.

To not be able to hear the quality in songs like I have forgiven Jesus, Come Back to Camden, All the Lazy Dykes, I'm not a Man, Staircase..., Smiler, Oboe Concerto or Forgive Someone is very hard to fathom. Makes me think there might be something more than honest distaste behind these statements. A desire to be controversial, perhaps. The general nastiness and tastelessness of JB's post just makes me even surer.

I just feel that these are obviously good songs. Stuff that most people would be hardpressed not to like. The music is often times soaring, well composed and atmospheric (or in the case of Staircase - exuberant and pop ingenuity) and the lyrics are personal, honest, heartfelt and filled with lines most people with interest in the written word would appreciate (or in the case of Staircase - just plain funny).

I think it's astonishing that some feel such strong distaste for either album. Each to his own, I suppose, but still.

To not be able to hear the quality in songs like I have forgiven Jesus, Come Back to Camden, All the Lazy Dykes, I'm not a Man, Staircase..., Smiler, Oboe Concerto or Forgive Someone is very hard to fathom. Makes me think there might be something more than honest distaste behind these statements. A desire to be controversial, perhaps. The general nastiness and tastelessness of JB's post just makes me even surer.

I just feel that these are obviously good songs. Stuff that most people would be hardpressed not to like. The music is often times soaring, well composed and atmospheric (or in the case of Staircase - exuberant and pop ingenuity) and the lyrics are personal, honest, heartfelt and filled with lines most people with interest in the written word would appreciate (or in the case of Staircase - just plain funny).

I have forgiven Jesus, Come Back to Camden, All the Lazy Dykes

It's almost an insult to list these next to the other songs

Southpaw is an unfocused, shallow and self-indulgent slab (even by Morrissey's standards). Not a single song on there surprised me, challenged me or made me laugh (although Boy Racer is catchy as hell). That album is a creative nadir.

World Peace is a much more interesting, honest and revelatory work: I laughed (Neil Cassady), I cried (Mountjoy), I was unsettled (Smiler). Kiss Me a Lot is catchy as hell. There is no clear trajectory: 2014 is a much stronger year for Morrissey than 1995 (creatively at least).

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom