"World Peace..." review by Michael Alarcon - Outsideleft

Sheesh. If they're gonna trash the album, they could at least have some balls about it and say Morrissey should be held accountable for his own creative decisions... especially considering this is some of the most adventurous and interesting MUSIC the band's come up with in a long time.

I got to the part where he praises The Bullfighter Dies as the best World Peace... offering and worked it all out. He can't let go of The Smiths and all he wants is regurgitation.

This might be the first review for WPINOYB (that I’ve read at least) that mentions the ol’ clonestamp.

penis.

Maladjusted is better than this album? This guy is a hack

The guy obviously is an idiot. He blames Jesse Tobias for destroying the album but still considers The Bullfighter Dies the best track of the record clearly ignorant of the fact that it was written by Tobias. Not to mention the idiocy of considering that song as superior to Staircase at the university, Smiler with knife, Mountjoy and a bunch of other songs on the album. The Bullfighter Dies is a nice little song but far from being the best on the album.

It's not until track number 5 ('Earth is the Loneliest Planet of All') that purists will start to furrow their aforementioned bushy brows--although fans of Spanish folk music will scoot toward the edge of their seats. Lyrically, it's the same old Morrissey: If you think you're going to find love and compassion on this big blue marble, you're in for a lifetime of disappointment, Bucko.

If I hadn't heard EITLP I'd assume from this review that the underlined is actually a line from the song the way this guy has written it. Or is it just me?

Then he gets the name of the song wrong

Musically, 'Earth is the Loneliest Planet of All' might be one of Morrissey's bigger mistakes committed to record.

and he spells Stephen Street's name wrong. I do agree with what this reviewer said about the design process though. He is spot on there. I also agree with what he said about the flamenco guitar being too prominent. I love flourishes of it here and there but there is too much of it, especially at the end of Staircase. It's overkill.

Bullfighter is the best song on the album? Lol, that's a good one! It's a great gap filler but it's not a highlight. The Bride is Tobias's highlight!

I am hoping the 6 bonus tracks are free of flamenco but if not so be it.

Last edited:
This review seems to place the blame of "World Peace" not on Morrissey, but the people he surrounds himself with--namely Jesse Tobias.

"Don't blame Morrissey for the banality of "World Peace is None of Your Business." Blame the people he chooses to surround himself with."

Full review here:

MICHAEL ALARCON: MORRISSEY IS DEAD - Outsideleft.com (longtime Morrissey champions)

Last edited by a moderator:
They are. The four new ones have a noticeably different feel to the rest of the album, I'd say.

Thanks Swells. Noticeably different huh? Hmmm, very interesting. I've heard Scandinavia only a few times on that Studio In Sessions bit but I hardly know Art-Hounds at all. Basically I can't remember one note of it but I hear it is very different from the live one. Is Scandinavia different also?

Thanks Swells. Noticeably different huh? Hmmm, very interesting. I've heard Scandinavia only a few times on that Studio In Sessions bit but I hardly know Art-Hounds at all. Basically I can't remember one note of it but I hear it is very different from the live one. Is Scandinavia different also?

Scandinavia is very similar, I'd say. Though they're good, I can see why it and Art-Hounds were left off as sonically they sound a little like they belong on a different album. The other four new songs are sort of mid-tempo, quite lush, a little Vauxhall-ish and make a very nice coda to the LP proper.

"Again, this album isn't horrible, it's just average with very few splashes of excitement."

I think that is as fair an appraisal of the album as when I said pretty much the self same thing the day after it leaked.

It's always amusing to hear people claim those who are not fully on board with the Morrissey Of The Now are trying to relive/revive the Smiths, when they themselves hear Ringleaders and Refusal and inexplicably seem to want more.

Personally, I'd prefer the man who was a major creative force behind Hatful of Hollow, Meat Is Murder, The Queen Is Dead and Strangeways to capture some of that magic again rather that claim The Youngest Was The Most Loved should have been number one across the known universe.

I don't think the author is unfair on Tobias, if anything he is too fair on Morrissey. The lyrical content is distinctly average with few of those clever flourishes we associate with him. I suppose you could argue the music as supplied failed to pique Morrissey's muse sufficiently, but the buck still stops with Morrissey himself.

People have been saying Tobias should go for many years, but we are now reaching the point where his dismissal would be irrelevant, because Morrissey may now quite possibly have released his last album. Harvest will decide at some time in the next couple of months. The poor buggers must be wondering what the hell they got themselves into.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom