Years of Refusal is utterly mediocre

Lyrically it is MEDIOCRE by Morrisseys' standards. Lazy. example One Day Will Be Farewell. el. tel. bell. gel. nel. elle. sell.

Wow, didn't think I'd get anyone's underwear in a bind over my humble opinion..
LOl..

btw your opinion isn't that humble otherwise you wouldn't have made an exclusive thread based on it. Plus there is nothing humble about opinions or they wouldn't be opinions at all :)

Np having your opinion. You are entitled and obviously feel very strongly about YOR. I am very sorry for you and the others that you don't like Years of refusal. You are really missing out.

Morrissey can't write a Vauxhall and I every time he releases an album. He has already done his Vauxhall. 4 of his mates died around that time so it's time to get over the lack of Vauxhallness:p in everything after that because that was that time and this is now. Maybe he will never write anything as profoundly delicate and strong as Vauxhall but is that so bad?

Give YOR some time it may grow on you yet. I won't go into why I think you should like it because I get the feeling that won't fall on open ears but see how it goes.

At least we have Vauxhall.

btw this is coming from a staunch Viva Hate, Bona Drag boy!!!

Last edited:
btw your opinion isn't that humble otherwise you wouldn't have made an exclusive thread based on it. Plus there is nothing humble about opinions or they wouldn't be opinions at all :)

Np having your opinion. You are entitled and obviously feel very strongly about YOR. I am very sorry for you and the others that you don't like Years of refusal. You are really missing out.

Morrissey can't write a Vauxhall and I every time he releases an album. He has already done his Vauxhall. 4 of his mates died around that time so it's time to get over the lack of Vauxhallness:p in everything after that because that was that time and this is now. Maybe he will never write anything as profoundly delicate and strong as Vauxhall but is that so bad?

Give YOR some time it may grow on you yet. I won't go into why I think you should like it because I get the feeling that won't fall on open ears but see how it goes.

At least we have Vauxhall.

perhaps we should apologize on Morrissey's behalf for writing something different that most of his catalog?

Could this not have gone on one of the numerous YOR threads? Is your opinion really that important?

Oh, and it isn't mediocre.

Did you really have to answer this thread? Is your opinion really that important? Oh, and it IS mediocre, by the way.

Don't let the drones get you down, skylark. I posted my opinion of the album on an existing YOR thread and got beaten down in much the same way. Some people seem to think it's their responsibility to defend their positive opinion of this album by trashing everyone who posts a differing opinion.

It might not be his best work.
But the worst Morrissey songs are still better than the best songs on MTV.

Last edited:
Did you really have to answer this thread? Is your opinion really that important? Oh, and it IS mediocre, by the way.

Don't let the drones get you down, skylark. I posted my opinion of the album on an existing YOR thread and got beaten down in much the same way. Some people seem to think it's their responsibility to defend their positive opinion of this album by trashing everyone who posts a differing opinion.

Do you think your opinion should be accepted as final and no one should disagree with it? No one trashed you. They just disagreed with you. If you can't handle that it's your problem.

Do you think your opinion should be accepted as final and no one should disagree with it? No one trashed you. They just disagreed with you. If you can't handle that it's your problem.

Saying things like "Your Opinion is idiotic" or "you're obviously deaf" is not disagreeing - it's trashing. This board is full of assholes who do nothing more than trash other people for voicing an opinion different than their own. It's very depressing for those of us who want to discuss Morrissey as an artist, not worship Morrissey blindly as a persona. I spent a good hour working on my post about the album, and it was trashed in five seconds. I even made sure to put it on an existing thread so that nobody would get on my case about "starting your own thread when one already exists for it". But nobody discussed what I said - they just put me down for having an opinion that wasn't fawning. It's sickening. I've been listening to Morrissey since 1984, so I do think I have an interesting perspective on things, but it seems that the depth of the discussion here is "Morrissey's new album is rockin'" Sigh...

Saying things like "Your Opinion is idiotic" or "you're obviously deaf" is not disagreeing - it's trashing. This board is full of assholes who do nothing more than trash other people for voicing an opinion different than their own. It's very depressing for those of us who want to discuss Morrissey as an artist, not worship Morrissey blindly as a persona. I spent a good hour working on my post about the album, and it was trashed in five seconds. I even made sure to put it on an existing thread so that nobody would get on my case about "starting your own thread when one already exists for it". But nobody discussed what I said - they just put me down for having an opinion that wasn't fawning. It's sickening. I've been listening to Morrissey since 1984, so I do think I have an interesting perspective on things, but it seems that the depth of the discussion here is "Morrissey's new album is rockin'" Sigh...

Saying that everyone is assholes isn't really going to endear yourself to people is it? Maybe you should consider that your attitude might antagonise people a bit.

Ok, so you posted your opinion, and the others posted theirs... why the bitchin' and cryin"??? :confused:

Saying that everyone is assholes isn't really going to endear yourself to people is it? Maybe you should consider that your attitude might antagonise people a bit.

I'm not saying *everyone* is an asshole - just the people who tell other people their opinions are idiotic. Which seems to be quite a few people here. There are other people on this board (many of home I have known for years) who are extremely lovely people and for whom I have nothing but admiration and respect. Don't oversimplify my comments.

Many interesting things brought up in this thread...

Yes, there are very kind people on here, but they can be hard to find among the grouchy snobs who snipe at each other and new members.

It wasn't 'proper etiquette' to post a new thread for one person's album review, but did it ever occur to anyone that it may have been an accident?? Lord knows I've made a few on this and other boards. Posting doesn't automatically make one aware of the rules and guidelines.

As far as the album being 'mediocre' and with some REAL discussion about it, I can't understand why no one mentioned how this happens with MANY many artists i.e. where they get to the point where their best material's 'behind them.'

Either the listener of the music changes, or the artist changes (and therefore the music). It's natural. Virtually every band or singer/songwriter I loved 15 years ago—who still puts out albums—is near-intolerable to me now. I recently became a full-time as opposed to part-time Moz listener, but I fully realize he's part parody, and writes really basic things nowadays. I also already noted that this new album is all about the drums, that it sounds good, but lacks in other ways. I find this peculiar as most of the (disappointed) Moz fans prolly don't put his records on to be impressed by the drumming.

There. My first proper rant in this place.

- J

this thread is mediocre.

Yes also, people taking a shit on YOR is mediocre.
Enough....if you don't like it, it will grow on you. If it doesn't, well I don't know what to say, please re-evaluate you morrissey-solo membership if all you are going to be posting are negative comments.

Although this post is a joke, I kinda agree :-/
I'm not very impressed. I'm not totally let down,
but I just don't hear anything very new and exciting.
There's a few good lil gems like Mamma, Skull, you were good in your time
the rest of the album could have been written 10 years ago, and I wouldn't have known the difference. *shrug*

Opinions are like assholes...

I haven't heard but six songs but have a feeling I might agree with its mediocrity... we'll see. And I know you'll want to hear all about it. ;)

I like what Bluebirds said.

However I think as a whole the album is underwhelming and if it was anyone other than dear ol' Steven who captured my heart back in the day I would probably listen to it once and think thats mediocre and never listen to it again.

Enough....if you don't like it, it will grow on you. If it doesn't, well I don't know what to say, please re-evaluate you morrissey-solo membership if all you are going to be posting are negative comments.

:rolleyes: I've heard it all now.

Do you know who you're talking to? She sits on the Board. :cool:

Tags
blind worship emma = yoda emma álainn :) emma is suspect emma purrrs emma rules! hitlercat! ilovemma respect the comtesse whaaa whaaa whaaa
Back
Top Bottom