Morrissey Central "YOU’RE THAT STRETCH OF THE BEACH THAT THE TIDE DOESN’T REACH" (July 9, 2021)

Links to a Dodwell article entitled:
"“World Peace Is None Of Your Business”— A Reappraisal of Morrissey’s 2014 Album"

Regards,
FWD.

"YOU’RE THAT STRETCH OF THE BEACH THAT THE TIDE DOESN’T REACH"

:handpointup:This is beautiful.

WPINOYB is a wonderful album. I'm Not A Man is a very undervalued song. If Western civilization and its values don't perish before, several decades ahead our times I hope more people will listen to this song and they'll wonder why it went so unnoticed and why it was misunderstood when its message is so clear and loud.

I feel like it’s an album that is quintessentially morrissey in almost every way. A song about time and death, the funeral March type song, a song about animal rights and toxic masculinity, gender and toxic masculinity, rejection of the political machine (I know), a song about repressed attraction, a song that used storytelling, flippant romance, existential stoicism etc. at the time I thought it was so representative of almost every aspect of Morrisseys music and history that I though it could’ve been a swan song and that he’d retire. It really needs to be streaming already. At the time it all got over shadowed by that harvest nonsense

I love World Peace, both the record and the ideal state of global existence, but if I have to read one more 'reappraisal' by Fifi, I will personally make sure we never get there.

That line used on Central however... 💕

Last edited:
On my list of Morrissey albums, it sits firmly in the bottom three.

I've got to the stage with Dodwell now where I'm starting to enjoy reading her articles, just to see how poorly they're written. And this one doesn't disappoint:

As the opening track fades away, we take a journey with Morrissey through 11 further songs, each with their own earned place amongst the album.

My god that's bad writing. And then she can't even be bothered to spell Cassady right...

World Peace is a good album with some outstanding tracks - but I was a surprised he named that above Dog, which is a much better album and one of his best. Love California Son too. Obviously we're all yet to hear Bonfire - but it sounds very promising from the recent interview.

My main memory of this album was being shocked at how terrible some of the lyrics were.
When I got to :

"Brazil and Bahrain
Oh Egypt, Ukraine
So many people in pain"

I can distinctly remember feeling my sphincter literally tighten in horror and embarrassment. There are a couple of great tracks on it ('Staircase at the University', 'I'm Not a Man'), but most of the better songs are relegated to bonus tracks rather than being on the main album itself. For just for crimes against lyrics alone, this album ranks as his very worst for me. :sick:

always liked world peace,one duff track in mountjoy but the rest are very good,i played it for nearly a year and was never bored with it.can anybody tell me why alexa can play just about any morrissey song song yet when i ask her to play staircase or any other WP song she says i cant find that one,is it due to licensing.

Same for me. On his great albums, I like every track, on his good ones I like 80% on WP, I like 2 tracks.
That won’t warrant any top marks, for sure. If I were to rate each track on the album (proper), it would go something like this:

1. WPINOYB 1/10
2. Neal C 3/10
3. Man 8/10
4. Istanbul 8/10
5. Earth 5/10
6. Staircase 6/10
7. Bullfighter 7/10
8. Kiss me 2/10
9. Smiler 9/10
10. Kick 2/10
11. Mountjoy 7/10
12. Oboe 7/10

That’s four awful songs, two mediocre ones, three pretty good ones, two really good ones and one that is fantastic.
Four awful songs on a Morrissey album was prior to this album unheard of.

That won’t warrant any top marks, for sure. If I were to rate each track on the album (proper), it would go something like this:

1. WPINOYB 1/10
2. Neal C 3/10
3. Man 8/10
4. Istanbul 8/10
5. Earth 5/10
6. Staircase 6/10
7. Bullfighter 7/10
8. Kiss me 2/10
9. Smiler 9/10
10. Kick 2/10
11. Mountjoy 7/10
12. Oboe 7/10

That’s four awful songs, two mediocre ones, three pretty good ones, two really good ones and one that is fantastic.
Four awful songs on a Morrissey album was prior to this album unheard of.
You rate it a lot higher than I would.

1. WPINOYB 1/10
2. Neal C 3/10
3. Man 3/10
4. Istanbul 3/10
5. Earth 2/10
6. Staircase 8/10
7. Bullfighter 2/10
8. Kiss me 2/10
9. Smiler 0/10
10. Kick 2/10
11. Mountjoy 0/10
12. Oboe 8/10

A whopping 34/120.

I love World Peace, both the record and the ideal state of global existence, but if I have to read one more 'reappraisal' by Fifi, I will personally make sure we never get there.

That line used on Central however... 💕
Must be awful having to read things you don't want to. If only there was way to not read things.

The album's a big favourite of mine (dlx version), & I'm always surprised at the negativity which some people bestow upon it. Clean your ears out & listen, please!
Coincidentally, I was listening to this last night & played it through twice. It is a truly brilliant album without any doubt. I'm even starting to like 'Neal Cassady', which I'd recently condemned as being a complete mess of a track...what a difference a week makes.
Good article from Fifi. :thumb: The nit-pickers clearly have impeccable writing standards beyond reproach. :rolleyes: Oh well.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom