You kill it, you grill it? New California bill would let drivers legally eat roadkill

The Seeker of Good Songs

from https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article226570774.html

You’re driving down the road at night when, out of nowhere, a deer jumps in front of your car. It doesn’t survive. It’d be a shame to let all that meat go to waste, right?

That’s the thinking behind Senate Bill 395, sponsored by Sen. Bob J. Archuleta, D-Montebello.

That bill would amend state law, as well as the Fish and Game Code, to allow drivers of vehicles that fatally strike an animal to retroactively apply for a wildlife salvage permit, at no cost, within 24 hours of the collision. The bill also would allow non-drivers who come across roadkill to salvage the dead animal.

Existing law states that while accidentally killing an animal with a vehicle isn’t illegal, salvaging it is. Only state and local agencies may lawfully remove such animals. According to Archuleta’s bill text, each year “it is estimated that over 20,000 deer alone are hit by motor vehicles on California’s roadways.”

“This translates into hundreds of thousands of pounds of healthy meat that could be utilized to feed those in need,” SB 395’s bill text reads.

The bill specifically applies to deer, elk, antelope and wild pigs; it does not cover any animal protected by the California Endangered Species Act. If an animal is severely injured but not outright killed by the vehicle, this bill also would allow the salvager to kill it “in a safe, legal, and humane manner.”

If passed into law, SB 395 would go into effect in 2021.

Probably the least grotesque thing California legally allows.

Would prefer the animal get a proper burial. I mean, why bury people in a grave?, think of all that ‘healthy meat’ :rolleyes:that goes to waste.

= ‘ This translates into hundreds of thousands of pounds of healthy meat that could be utilized to feed those in need.’

;):straightface:

from https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article226570774.html

You’re driving down the road at night when, out of nowhere, a deer jumps in front of your car. It doesn’t survive. It’d be a shame to let all that meat go to waste, right?

That’s the thinking behind Senate Bill 395, sponsored by Sen. Bob J. Archuleta, D-Montebello.

That bill would amend state law, as well as the Fish and Game Code, to allow drivers of vehicles that fatally strike an animal to retroactively apply for a wildlife salvage permit, at no cost, within 24 hours of the collision. The bill also would allow non-drivers who come across roadkill to salvage the dead animal.

Existing law states that while accidentally killing an animal with a vehicle isn’t illegal, salvaging it is. Only state and local agencies may lawfully remove such animals. According to Archuleta’s bill text, each year “it is estimated that over 20,000 deer alone are hit by motor vehicles on California’s roadways.”

“This translates into hundreds of thousands of pounds of healthy meat that could be utilized to feed those in need,” SB 395’s bill text reads.

The bill specifically applies to deer, elk, antelope and wild pigs; it does not cover any animal protected by the California Endangered Species Act. If an animal is severely injured but not outright killed by the vehicle, this bill also would allow the salvager to kill it “in a safe, legal, and humane manner.”

If passed into law, SB 395 would go into effect in 2021.

I reckon the current state law is what makes The California Son's (aka "Morrissey") home state so different than places like Mississippi or Alabama where all those 4th generation Brittish immigrants just love to gobble up dem dead possums and armadillos in n nnn nnn n n din't n n it.

I have just learnt a new way to cook my smashed potatoes...

I will call it: pomme de terre a la voiture

I reckon the current state law is what makes The California Son's (aka "Morrissey") home state so different than places like Mississippi or Alabama where all those 4th generation Brittish immigrants just love to gobble up dem dead possums and armadillos in n nnn nnn n n din't n n it.

and yet the banning of potato tacos remains on the ballot...go figure m8.

Even that kook/atheist/philosopher Peter Singer and the whack-jobs at PETA — the only thing we have in common is breathing oxygen — support using roadkill for food. According to PETA, “If people must eat animal carcasses, roadkill is a superior option to the neatly shrink-wrapped plastic packages of meat in the supermarket.”

https://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/big-game-hunting/yes-you-can-eat-roadkill

Oh my... from this to canibalism there's just one step.

Back
Top Bottom