You Know I Couldn't Last

JD93

I was looking at the poll for this song and was really surprised to see how low it is rated by most people. I think it's one of Morrissey's greatest post-comeback lyrics - 'don't let the blue eyes fool you, they're just GELIGNITE, LOADED AND AIMING RIGHT BETWEEN YOUR EYES!". It's the song Sorrow Will Come In The End should have been, makes a great comment on the music industry and what it can do to people, and actually manages to make a court case about band royalties dramatically interesting. In this regard, it's also one of Morrissey most hateful and frightening songs, brutally exposing his own quest for vengeance against all those officials who, to quote from another Quarry-era song, 'kicked him down the stairs'.
I love it.

It's such a beautiful song. I don't know if you know, but the phrase "uou know I couldn't last" was said by Candy Darling on one letter written to Andy Warhol.

I was looking at the poll for this song and was really surprised to see how low it is rated by most people.

My two cents...it rated so low because most listeners can't relate to it. Not all of us have royalties that bring us luxuries. I'm sure it ranks high amongst other pop stars. :rolleyes:

I do like the passion of it but let's be honest, it cries "boo-hoo, poor little ol' me with all my money."

I do think it's a strong album closer with effective music from Alain and a good vocal melody -- it was the lyrics and sentiment that relegated it to the lower end of the poll.

Even though Quarry was the first album in 7 years, nobody, but nobody, wanted to hear anything more about lawyers, swipes at Joyce et al.

Morrissey is still going on about the case but coming at it from much more interesting angles, as with Mama...

It's my favourite song on Quarry, and I am also disappointed it rates so low. I love these songs where Morrissey sings about himself and his position in the music scene/business, much much more than silly ditties such as 'First Of The Gang To Die'. I particularly appreciate that he sings about himself *and* for once not about how he is alone and nobody loves him, etc. We've had our share of those...

I love "You Were Good In Your Time" for the *exact* same reason. You can draw a straight line from "Paint A Vulgar Picture" to "Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself" to "You Know I Couldn't Last" to "You Were Good In Your Time".

Stephane

I think some people may have been put off by its over-the-topness. I believe Morrissey meant it to be overdramatic, in that Elvis Vegas-style showstopper kind of way with the smoking jacket and falsetto at the end.

Vintage Morrissey. Makes me grin ear to ear.

It's by far my favorite song off Quarry as well. It should close the main set of every show.

f***ing stunning song, I always wait for the end with his wailing! Chilling!

Back
Top Bottom