you know?

There's a freshman in my lunch who had a rainbow Unknown Pleasures shirt. I went up to her and said, "Joy Division, eh?" and she said, "I don't know. I just like the shirt. I don't THINK it's a band shirt...". Yes, but I KNOW it's a JD shirt.

DXS

I'd have given the girl an earful about that one. HA

I don't think the insanely devoted wear Smiths or Moz shirts anymore. Maybe it's a function of age and the unsuitability of wearing t-shirts at such age. Also, another sad fact of life...I know I'm not the only one to have e x p a n d e d. :(

Back in my yoof (the 80s), I did use shirts as a way to seek out likeminded cool folx in my lonely, humdrum town. I have met too many trendy arseholes to believe anymore that just because someone wears a t-shirt, said person is automatically intelligent, sensitive, and shares my sordid humour. You kids with your Internet discussion boards, file-sharing...you don't know how easy you have it. Conversely, you don't know the sweetness of searching out and finding the rare apostle in your town or that rare import single or bootleg tape.

I would like this shirt if it weren't associated with Nirvana:
engrish-store_1961_26323

I think I've only seen one or two people with a Morrissey/Smiths shirt in my life...in which case I run up to them and excitedly give them a high five (no weird reactions...yet..)
The other day I was wearing a Morrissey shirt and a girl from behind me said "Oh my god! She's wearing a Morrissey shirt!! I love your shirt!" And it made my day. ^_^.

(I have to agree with the coloured Joy Division shirts though....the thing that bugs me is the fact that they are coloured and not b/w. Bah!)

Pete who? Seriously, who?

Pete Wentz is from the band Fall Out Boy. He plays guitar I think.

The other day I was wearing a Morrissey shirt and a girl from behind me said "Oh my god! She's wearing a Morrissey shirt!! I love your shirt!" And it made my day.

I was wearing my Smiths shirt with the 'William It Was Really Nothing' single cover on it, and someone told me they "liked my shirt" :).

I wore a JD "Love Will Tear Us Apart" shirt to a work party in 1999, and an older coworker pulled me aside and asked, very seriously, whether everything was OK in my life. I couldn't figure out WTF he was talking about until he pointed at my shirt.

I met an old friend outside a kfc, he was wearing an "I don't eat my friends" t-shirt. He had a bucket of chicken in his hand. I looked at him as if to say "ZUH?!?". He said "I hate chickens"...Odd.

I remember getting complimented for wearing a Cure t-shirt in a club, then Boys Don't Cry came on, and about 3 or 4 foreign gents started dancing near me...Quite odd.

I met an old friend outside a kfc, he was wearing an "I don't eat my friends" t-shirt. He had a bucket of chicken in his hand. I looked at him as if to say "ZUH?!?". He said "I hate chickens"...Odd.

No, that's funny. I'm a vegetarian because I hate vegetables and want to see them suffer.

And even I have to admit to finding this graphic totally amusing:

I'd have given the girl an earful about that one. HA
Good idea ;)
How silly, now! I wore a LWTUA shirt to English class last year on the same day I told my teacher I hated Nirvana. He said, "If it wasn't for Kurt Cobain you wouldn't be wearing a shirt with Ian Curtis' lyrics on it!" He insisted the only reason I and most people my age know of JD is due to Nirvana! How ridiculous! Then he had the gall to argue that Nirvana made better and even more depressing music! Every other person in the room just sat there with very confused looks on their faces throughout the 20 minutes, for they had no clue of what we were speaking. Oh, then he told me he loved Interpol! Gross.

Your teacher is silly. They're not linked that way, the only connection I see is that both singers killed themselves, nothing else. Lots of people know Nirvana and don't know Joy Division.
I discovered them when a teacher of mine advised me to listen to them and lent me Closer. The same teacher that lent me Rank, which led me to appreciate also the studio versions of songs like The Boy With The Thorn In His Side.

I know, but he did like me a lot. We had to give speeches and when I got my evaluation back I found he had written "THE SMITHS" and circled it several times. What's that supposed to mean? I got the highest grade in that class!
I don't have a clue... Didn't you ask him for explaination?
What a nice teacher. I had a teacher like that a few years ago. We'd exchange music and swap albums every school day. I walked into his room the first day and the first thing said to me was, "Are you a David Bowie fan?" I wasn't even wearing glitter!
That's my kind of teacher :) Not the old, boring ones, who don't care about popular music ('50, '60 up to nowadays)

i think the only fans i didnt like to be fans/or at least question why they chose to see a morrissey concert or listen to the songs
are those i experienced:
i went to see him after a furious first time concert in berlin to ther hamburg gig (2006) and happened to stand behind 4 men in their fourties but i didnt fully paid attention to them until i noticed they making fun of two men in their 20ties standing before them obviously a couple,doing nothing more than holding hands..obviously they never seeing this before cause it amuses them alot for quite some time and seems to catch their attention more than the show since they were pretty big guys I cant help noticed it too what they are so giggling and mocking about ..makes me pretty sad to watch that scene so
i changed the standing place after a while then but i wonder what these guys did when moz rips off his shirt-cover their eyes?
orthese drag queen who introduced mozzers show in 95 i wonder how would these guys react? etc etc
i questioned if i should talk to them questiong their behaviour and was still near them but they do not physically insult the couple or mocking therm face to face so i thought i can not change their minds when i adress them...but if they had choose to be be more abusiive or directly mocking them i surely had said something

any fans with prejudice concerning sexuality gender ethnic group/origin etc are those where i wonder why they listen to morrissey in the first place......but well homophobia are not stem away from the casual morrissey fans ...i cant imagine being a more than casual fan and being homphobic racist at the same time etc that doesnt imply with either the lyrics moz wrote,his isuues on gender or the way moz presents himself on stage ( with the shirt ripping etc)

this AOR rock bands seems to fit bettter for these men but they were there and i wondered why..oh well whatever nevermind

I think no one is a better fan if an emo kids get into him during listening and mention of people like pete wentz why not thats a start...i think a lot of the younger fans did introduced to him that way and i see nothing wrong with that

i mean i got introduced to sonic youth through nirvana when i was 16/17 thats the way it mostly works

...lets remember that most of the younger fan get introduced by them when they look for songs in the internet and they look for one song and well then they dont know from which album a certain song is..what does it matter when do they like it.

thats a different generation who handle music and their confrontation with music and the way its been presented now is different from mine and others experiences..no an album is long before its release online avaiable
I didnt grow up into that internet thing and "buying a cell phone tone for 5 euro but no wont pay for an actual song" but well its like that

.there has to be casual fans not everyone can no moz back and forwards like we do

i dislike these so callled emobands of today but the lyrics they wrote seems to catch up this teenage isolation so its natural to get into these bands when your are a 12-16 year old teenager
and if they catch some of the bands these bands like and happens to also liking it there is nothing wrong with that

i always wonder i always pictured under the word emo different bands that apply to thattag

. the most well known were the likes of sunny day real estate and jinny jimmy eat world and n ot to forget the very beginning of hardcore with bands like minor threat so i always wonder what these m early/mid 90ties "emo kids" who were always very much a extremly closed community (and closeminded some of them were: i read a lot of readers mail a in the late 90ties printed to respond to a "glamorous" article about one of their bands in a music mag which wasnt exactly mainstream but only because its not a fanzine and oh god beware its even in colour there was a total a outrage and there were quiete a few funny letters to the journalist who wrote the article
i always pissed myseld laughing as noel would put it when i read those close minded comments
being a elitist is never a good thing

but now emo are as mainstream as it can get and is no simlpy no more than a word to sell like back in the grunge days and their exploitation and this "sign whatever band who wears flannel and comes from seattle"

also the riot grrl scene who closed their community to protect them for the media explotation in the mid 90 ties was a good thing (mostly) but on the other hand
closing up completely is not a good choise you have a to leave one little window open

so this scene dont happen to get exploited and slaughtered like grunge did but i guess since there were a lot of queercore bands inside these scene they wouldnt get the same reception and total exploitation/mainstream sation as with grúnge... so they should have opened a little bit more but still talk to sameminded media people or al least interested in them a tthe issues they re bringing up cause a lot of the mainstream media did only refer to them back then as screaming angry young women in short skirts

i was too young for both of these scenes
cause when i was a teenager it only just had happened...but discovered them shortly later
i must say i discovered morrissey not through mention from other artists he just came into my life somewhere in 2000 he was there (remember reading one article in 97,did work in a record store from 99-001 but they were never played on their speakers)

and not for everyóne music means the world to them
i dont know how many people just listen to the radio and do no really care what song got played as long its a nice tune...those people buy the norah jones etc charts /aor oriented music..

and i also find it unimportaNT( i saw this other thread "whois the better fan? hispanic or amerrican or...".) where you come from you can as well understand him if you are from israel..from indonesia turkey ...

of course when you are british you will get the lyrics and the mention of certain british people and places he namedropped in interviews but i dont hink tht makes someone a better fan...the emotions he sets when singing these songs is universal and most of of the words he use are simple words to express a certain feeling canbe understand by every one...

Last edited:
I think that this "they were wearing smiths/moz -shirt but knew only a handful songs" attitude can be a bit elitist. I mean, you have to start somewhere. Not all fans have the time and energy to become experts on all things moz. (Shocking, I know...)
However, I do not like it when people wear band t-shirts because it's fashionable or because they liked the shirt. For fans, a band t-shirt is a part of a uniform that sets them apart from others. And it can speak volumes to other fans. I know I wear my band t-shirts with pride and until recently refused to wear one if I hadn't seen the band live. Well, with the obvious exception of bands that are no longer with us...

Last edited:
I used to feel the same way. I still do , sometimes. Moreso when people wear the shirts and have no idea about them. I get angry when I see the picture of that Fred Durst scumbag wearing a Hatful of Hollow shirt standing next to Paris.

This coming from a kid who used to think Jack the Ripper was a Smiths song. :(

Waaaay back when I was downloading anything I could get my hands on and before I heard an entire album.

I used to feel the same way. I still do , sometimes. Moreso when people wear the shirts and have no idea about them. I get angry when I see the picture of that Fred Durst scumbag wearing a Hatful of Hollow shirt standing next to Paris.

this is exactly the people who i mean with my previous post: homophobic and sexist (he keeps his brains w between his legs for sure hahaha) people someone like fred durst and him beiing a fan doesnt quite intertwine i try to imagine him screaming and kissing moz ähmmm no!!!he surely were those shirt to "get some"

Last edited:
haha. i try to imagine anything other than him kissing and screaming for Moz! i'd killll fred durst for desecrating the ground Moz walks on.

I think that this "they were wearing smiths/moz -shirt but knew only a handful songs" attitude can be a bit elitist. I mean, you have to start somewhere. Not all fans have the time and energy to become experts on all things moz. (Shocking, I know...)
However, I do not like it when people wear band t-shirts because it's fashionable or because they liked the shirt. For fans, a band t-shirt is a part of a uniform that sets them apart from others. And it can speak volumes to other fans. I know I wear my band t-shirts with pride and until recently refused to wear one if I hadn't seen the band live. Well, with the obvious exception of bands that are no longer with us...

I agree with your points. If someone is going to wear a band shirt though, they'd really better be prepared for people to say/ask about it. I have a vintage David Bowie shirt that I wear sometimes and it still surprises me how many strangers will come up to talk to me about it. I didn't actually see him in 1974 (that's what my shirt says, but I wasn't alive then) but I have seen him in concert so at least I don't sound like a total idiot when someone asks me about my shirt. :)

haha. i try to imagine anything other than him kissing and screaming for Moz! i'd killll fred durst for desecrating the ground Moz walks on.

i know how to drove him away: when moz hands the mike out ,let some man say" oh fred durst you were a good lay"*lol* but a qoote from moz lyrics and fred durst in the same sentence is a mistakein itself
and the next day it will be expsed on some of these papers compared to the sun in britain - i dont know the Us press that well but poor fred is out of the busines anyway since nobody cared for him anymore/or lets say this piece of shit wht he calls music

so..a kick in th balls may be enough

Last edited:
That little bitch! Oh, she should be thankful I wasn't around. Actually, I wouldn't do anything but harbor a silent grudge against her for all eternity and quietly mumble obscenities whenever she came near. It's when somebody insults a band I like that I go nuts. One time a boy in my art class went one step too far about Oasis and I jumped across the table and attacked him.

How silly, now! I wore a LWTUA shirt to English class last year on the same day I told my teacher I hated Nirvana. He said, "If it wasn't for Kurt Cobain you wouldn't be wearing a shirt with Ian Curtis' lyrics on it!" He insisted the only reason I and most people my age know of JD is due to Nirvana! How ridiculous! Then he had the gall to argue that Nirvana made better and even more depressing music! Every other person in the room just sat there with very confused looks on their faces throughout the 20 minutes, for they had no clue of what we were speaking. Oh, then he told me he loved Interpol! Gross.

Yes, exactly sort of, you know.

Originally Posted by nowherefast944 View Post
i know how to drove him away: when moz hands the mike out ,let some man say" oh fred durst you were a good lay"*lol* but a qoote from moz lyrics and fred durst in the same sentence is a mistakein itself
and the next day it will be expsed on some of these papers compared to the sun in britain - i dont know the Us press that well but poor fred is out of the busines anyway since nobody cared for him anymore/or lets say this piece of shit wht he calls music

so..a kick in th balls may be enough

See I don't know what the f*** you're talking about here. The "sun in britain" caught my attention anyways and was enough to make me go back up the thread (you spelling made me that much more keen on my own w/ similar effect, only this time the other way around).

This fellows favorite song may just legitimately be whatever-the-f***-it-was. If he was humping your leg because he thought you were going to bump him into a higher tax-bracket just by virtue of, and such, favorite shirt/favorite song/favorite slacks -- I'd tell him how to get high with dust-off in a bathtub or something. If he came back, then I'd hit him.

Last edited:
Perhaps the most and enlightened Smiths/Moz collector and devotee had ten of the shirts.....saw the kid get beat-up and bloody....took the shirt of his back..... gave it to the kid... and now everyone twitches?

Ever been ridiculed for what you have worn???

Anyone?

It is just a shirt.

Back
Top Bottom